No Gilmore, No Woods, No Brown, No Chance

Everything is coming up roses for the Bills IMO

I can't think of one negative thing to say

There is literally nothing the Bills can do right now that will please everyone. In fact everyone is convincing themselves we're going 0-16. Whatever.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is literally nothing the Bills can do right now that will please everyone. In fact everyone is convincing themselves we're going 0-16. Whatever.

If you managed to convince yourself the Bills were going to be 0-16 the past 18 years, just think how happy you'd be when they ended up 8-8ish. It might be a better strategy than expecting 10-6 or better then being very disappointed at 7-9 and no playoffs. :w00t:

I think a lot of it is the unknown

Yes Rex was not the answer...now we are moving on to a first time HC who comes highly recommended...but hasnt done it yet.

its a wait and see...as always I am optomistic

I disagree Promo

Lots of us feel very positive about the HC change

Lots of us feel very positive about the players they retained and the contracts they renegotiated or cap room they saved

However that does not mean we cannot be equally critical of not retaining quality players

And or not going out and signing FA's or making trades that would replace them

Or that the FA they did sign are not collectively very exciting

After-all we need an increase of talented players from 2016 on the field to put us in position to win 10 games plus

Not just a change in D/O schemes

And not a decrease in starting talent

I don't think as fans we should be uncritical of our team if they appear to be making off season moves that do not result in success

jc

True. But retaining Gilmore was my #1 offseason priority once Rex was canned. I'm not going to sit here now and pretend I don't think it matters that they went a different direction. I say when I like moves and I say when I don't but nobody should pretend they are okay with a decision they disagree with. The Bills have not earned that benefit of the doubt.

Gilmore could fit any scheme. Do you spend big bucks on a corner when you are going to play zone is a fairer question. My answer would be - you do when the rest of your secondary is a guy who suffered a sophmore slump and two brand new safeties one of whom has been a rotational player for the Browns.

At the moment our secondary reads to me as two round about average league starters - Hyde and Darby, a backup level player and a huge question mark. I don't care what coverage you are playing - that should be a major, major worry. You still need guys that can cover.

they could be telling us the usual line of "you play to win the game" but more likely are rebuilding and aren't expecting a good record which could all be explained away by coaching change, player change and culture change.

Disagree that he didn't fit. I just think his skillset commanded more money than what he was going to be asked to do was worth.

Gilmore isn't an off coverage guy and sucks at tackling; not a zone fit..

The best part about zone is you don't need the best athletes to play it and so should be an easier defense to maintain and establish.

Everything is coming up roses for the Bills IMO

I can't think of one negative thing to say

revisit this after next season :D

Here is a radical new Idea. How about we trade Dareus, tyrod, Watkins, hughes and pretty much the whole team for O line, and draft picks, suck this year, draft sam and then suddenly be amazing.

yeah I told the front office this but they weren't listening, goes to show how much they know B-)

True. But retaining Gilmore was my #1 offseason priority once Rex was canned. I'm not going to sit here now and pretend I don't think it matters that they went a different direction. I say when I like moves and I say when I don't but nobody should pretend they are okay with a decision they disagree with. The Bills have not earned that benefit of the doubt.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Where's the surprise, the mildest possible surprise, in that?

We're a team installing new defensive and offensive systems. For, what, the fifth time in the last eight or nine years? New systems often don't fit the old players well, so some will have to go despite the new coach (always) saying he can make anybody fit his system. We're a team dealing with a severe salary cap problem due to our GM's profligate ways.

And we are a team that had a 7 - 9 record last year.

What were you expecting, 14 - 2?

I know it sucks to deal with this, but it takes time, it always takes time. Bringing Rex in and then firing him took a massive amount of pure time. McDermott will also take time. So would anyone given this lineup to work with.

yeah this year will be bad. less talent, new schemes to learn , rookie HC, new staff. growing pains, bad times ahead.

this franchise, along with the hockey franchise, is just caught in the coach/scheme/roster "revolving door" to consistent mediocrity. but, hey, the teams are still in town, right? yeah thought so...

If the Bills really are going to play lots of cover-2, why would you want to guarantee 40 million dollars to a corner? Seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money somewhere else?

The best, most consistent and most dedicated WR on our team.

When and if Woods is the best receiver on an NFL Team (which he was not and never will be imo), one would have to think it's a sorry state of affairs.

I don't think that it will be too hard to replace him.

Jmo.

Do you speak often in absolutes?

likely improvements :

#1- offense....just getting healthy should help.

#2- defense ....switching to the 4-3 better suits our personnel.

#3- discipline.....i expect this new coach to lower the amount of self inflicted penalties

#4- ragland, shaq and all the new free agents should offset the FA losses.

If the Bills really are going to play lots of cover-2, why would you want to guarantee 40 million dollars to a corner? Seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money somewhere else?

When and if Woods is the best receiver on an NFL Team (which he was not and never will be imo), one would have to think it's a sorry state of affairs.

I don't think that it will be too hard to replace him.

Jmo.

Do you speak often in absolutes?

Being the best WR on the Bills doesn't qualify one to be the best WR on any NFL team.

When I say, "best," I'm not talking about talent or capability. I know Sam is a better WR. But Sam's work ethic and dedication are nothing in comparison to Woods', IMO. I'd rather have a very good WR who wants to - and does - play hard every week, than an elite WR with a WIFM attitude.

they could be telling us the usual line of "you play to win the game" but more likely are rebuilding and aren't expecting a good record which could all be explained away by coaching change, player change and culture change.

Gilmore isn't an off coverage guy and sucks at tackling; not a zone fit..

The best part about zone is you don't need the best athletes to play it and so should be an easier defense to maintain and establish.

revisit this after next season :D

yeah I told the front office this but they weren't listening, goes to show how much they know B-)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To a degree I'll agree on the $$ comment. Unless we find a way to beat the system on getting a pass rush (Seattle did for awhile by setting up some undervalued tweeners to be productive but that involved help from an elite secondary too) we could see value but generally speaking your going to either have to have studs up front or on the back and it's expensive either way

I'm always amazed how our fans put Gilmore down.....you read this thread and for the most part, you'd think he was a complete disaster.......The best coach in the NFL just gave him a huge contract and we tell ourselves that Gilmore sucked.....

Doesn't make any sense....

He certainly has never ducked but for the amount of money he cost and the new scheme being mainly zone forDB's + strong tackling, I am very happy we did not keep him . I'm loving the Hyde pickup.