Andy Benoit Analyzes what McDermott's Scheme sez about draft

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/29/nfl-new-head-coaches-sean-mcvay-kyle-shanahan-sean-mcdermott-anthony-lynn-vance-joseph-doug-marrone

It's an article analyzing what the six new head coaches do scheme-wise, based on Benoit's extensive film study. He then uses that to predict what those coaches might be likely to do in their first drafts.

Here's the section on McDermott:

"By deciding to let cornerback Stephon Gilmore walk in free agency, the longtime defensive assistant under the late Jim Johnson in Philadelphia and the highly respected Ron Rivera in Carolina has already told you how he views the game. Gilmore is a lanky, athletic man-to-man defender. Most defenses would kill for a corner like him. The Bills were one of those defenses under Rex Ryan, who preferred one-on-one coverage outside and overloaded pressure designs up front. But McDermott plays a lot more zone. On early downs, it’s eight in the box with a safety patrolling centerfield. On passing downs, it’s seven in the box, maybe with an inside blitz look, and two safeties back deep. This approach naturally protects corners; almost always, they have help from a safety over the top or from a linebacker underneath. And so instead of spending money on a pricey cornerback you can spend it on linebackers and pass rushers. McDermott’s old team, the Panthers, did exactly that by letting Josh Norman leave in free agency, signing Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly to long-term contracts, and consistently selecting defensive linemen early in the draft. The Bills will follow this model. Almost any position in their front seven can be upgraded."

The whole article is pretty good, but the Anthony Lynn and Doug Marrone sections also have some Bills relevance.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Gilmore is a great one on one corner, that's why we gave up barely any huge pass plays last season.

Oh wait....that's not how it went down at all is it.

That said he will have an All-Pro year in New England where the corners can hug a receiver as a ball is coming down to force an incompletion.

Yeah Gilmore is a great one on one corner, that's why we gave up barely any huge pass plays last season.

That said he will have an All-Pro year in New England where the corners can hug a receiver as a ball is coming down to force an incompletion.

Maybe he gets injured... Just saying.

Our Dline is pretty stout, imo. Regardless of Gilmore's style, we need to replace a starting CB.

Interesting how 3 former Bills HC's have HC gigs now (Mularky, ALynn & Marrone). I don't believe that's ever happened before. Usually, it was all we could do to find someone who'd take the job, then kick him to the obscure curb 3 years later..

When you take the catches and yards allowed in coverage by Gilmore and find the average over 16 games, it's something like 3.5 catches and 35 yards but yeah, he's terrible and the Patriots are clueless.

Gilmore was a really good player. I don't see him as great, but he is really good. The fact of the matter is we got outbid. They had a number set and he got the numbers he wanted elsewhere. This year everything hit us cap wise. As of next off season you see things ease up and the totals we have to spend vastly increase. One CB does not make or break our whole team. We're not playing Press\Man coverage anymore. We will undoubtedly pick a CB or teo in the draft, but they will be different types of players.

Yep that's what I've been saying too - don't be surprised to see a DL in the first. I haven't thought they would go LB at 10 but perhaps with a trade down they will. Still think CB in play. Convinced it will be defense unless it's OJ Howard.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Gilmore getting burned by Hogan and then throwing his hands up in the air and looking around like it wasn't his fault is a good example of why he is not elite. Top 10 maybe. He also can't tackle and looks like his shoulder might separate every time he tries. I would love to see Tolbert catch a pass in the flat and have Gilmore try to tackle him.

An advantage of zone defense is it gives the DBs a chance to look in the backfield and make plays by reading the QB. Still have to play man here and there to confuse the offense, but teams like Seattle and Carolina have had a lot of success playing Cover 3 and Cover 2.

$13 mill a year. From the Patriots. $40 mill guaranteed from the ultimate cheapskates.

Yeah, Gilmore absolutely is a great one-on-one corner. Not perfect and not a shutdown guy. But yeah, great.

Only because its the Pats do I want to see that be a big failure.

Gilmore is good, I am not sure I saw enough to call him great or a perennial first selection Pro Bowler. (not a replacement for a replacement)

This is so great info to know. Thanks!!

Regarding Gilmore, I think he's very inconsistent. Does he have the potential to play like a Pro Bowl CB?? Yes. Does he?? IMHO, only about 50% of the time. I've seen him have some very bad games in coverage. The first game vs the Jets this year comes to mind.

I also think he can be a liability vs the run. He is more slightly built compared to many CBs in the league and doesn't seem to relish tackling. If I were an opposing OC I would run the ball to his side early and often.

Gilmore getting burned by Hogan and then throwing his hands up in the air and looking around like it wasn't his fault is a good example of why he is not elite. Top 10 maybe. He also can't tackle and looks like his shoulder might separate every time he tries. I would love to see Tolbert catch a pass in the flat and have Gilmore try to tackle him.

An advantage of zone defense is it gives the DBs a chance to look in the backfield and make plays by reading the QB. Still have to play man here and there to confuse the offense, but teams like Seattle and Carolina have had a lot of success playing Cover 3 and Cover 2.

Do you know what the coverage call was that play?

Edited by P51

Thanks Rex for forcing 3 crap players onto the team last year. Now it's front 7 again.

Washington and Lawson played alot of 43 defense in college and were projected by most to be 43 type personnel in the NFL. Ragland should be able to handle a 43 defense as well. I dont think the front 7 is nearly that bad off with the exception of WLB right now. The corners do not seem to fit more so than the front 7 IMO.

Jonathan Meeks appears to have completely blown his assignment on that play. But let's blame Gilmore for a 1-second "look" on tv.

Yup, GIlmore looks like he's in trail technique looking to stop short to intermediate route, expecting over the top help.

Gilmore's lack of ability to stop the run is a negative not discussed here. He was a pansy not unlike Dion Sanders. the Bills should run his way often imho. Like to see Richie out there laying a shoulder on him so he knows he is not forgotten for playing touch football in Buffalo when he was supposed to tackle.

Edited by bigK14094

He doesn't like to use high picks on corners based on his tenures elsewhere, granted he probably didn't have final say, but I read that it was not his philosophy as well and this seems to confirm that.

That is why I had it narrowed down to Davis or Foster or QB depending on how they view the QB prospects.