Mayock updates his top 5 by position for draft - 3/21/

yungmack

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. He shows good decision making at times. I like his competitiveness. Other than that, the kid needs a lot of work.

I wouldn't mind him or Peterman after the 3rd. If Mahomes is still there in the 3rd, I might take him there, based on who's still available, because of his upside.

Whaley needs to try for starters in the first 3 rounds. Should be doable at WR, OL, and DB.

Get real, Mahomes isn't getting past the Texans at #25.

The Bills will end up looking stupid (down the road) if they pass on him at #10. He's the best QB prospect in this draft and it's not close.

Not sure what you're going by, but from what I've read this is not the case at all.

From the NFL.com site: "NFL COMPARISON Brock Osweiler"

Not accurate, not mobile, not good under pressure, not good with the deep ball. 65% of passes were inside 10 yards. Stay away from this guy!

Watch the tape. He had design runs for him and had a good deep ball. Whether how many deep passing plays he had, I don't know. From I read the biggest problem is decision making. I see more Roethlisberger, Wentz than Osweiler.

The Bills will end up looking stupid (down the road) if they pass on him at #10. He's the best QB prospect in this draft and it's not close.

I know its not likely, but that's my take on the position.

He's...meh.

The Texans are in the same position the Bills were in 2013. Needing to overreach for a QB in a bad draft class.

You keep saying that, but I don't think any of them are worth a first round pick. Edited by OldTimer1960

Watch the tape. He had design runs for him and had a good deep ball. Whether how many deep passing plays he had, I don't know. From I read the biggest problem is decision making. I see more Roethlisberger, Wentz than Osweiler.

His deep balls come up short a lot. His arm is lacking a bit, but his velocity seems like it increases throughout the game. Like he starts off slow.

Risky prospect, but may be worth it in the middle rounds.

His QB list is unchanged, with Kizer still his number 1 pick. He moved Lattimore to the top CB spot and added Fabian Moreau, which I was pleased to see. Moved Zay Jones up a spot at WR, added Smith-Schuster and dropped Kupp a spot.

I picture Mayock watching film around the clock, his eyelids held open with toothpicks.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2017/03/21/mayock-updates-his-top-5-by-position-for-draft/

What became of him becoming GM for the Redskins? If he's still in play, can he really give you his honest draft takes?

...don't we have that now,?.....processing the field is all gray matter IMO.......TT shortcoming but he has his wheels for escapability and who knows for how long before injury or DC's figure out how to defend him (RG II 1/4 and Casper-Nick come to mind; Russell Wilson has the smarts to know when or if, usually)?.....

Highlight reels aren't "tape". If that's all you're watching, you get a distorted view of a prospect.

1) No one knew Peppers true position. He claims he is a safety and now he's the best in the class at the position? Please, couldn't touch Adams. Could argue Hooker because of Hooker limited starting experience and the injuries, but still that's a stretch.

2) I really am enjoying this Mahomes talk. There is a very really chance we dont see a QB taken in the top ten. Yet some act like Mahomes is so good, that all the QB needy teams are going to pass on him and he'll last

What became of him becoming GM for the Redskins? If he's still in play, can he really give you his honest draft takes?

I heard him on the radio a couple days ago saying neither he nor his agents had had any contact with the Redskins, so.......maybe? :)

Are you suggesting Mayock rigs his listings? You know, this is the guy who's widely regarded as the top evaluator of college talent. Doesn't mean he always gets it right but I don't think he'd last a minute if he was suspected of tanking for "favors." Strange remark

Nothing nefarious, but his reports jump around quite a bit

and I think he enjoys the attention it generates. He is an NFL employee right? So I suppose that's all part of his job. I do often wonder, what if Mike Mayock had a top 32 sheet under his pillow, would look the same as the ones we see?

At certain times I think he just plain ole gets excited about a player and fools himself. Peppers is a recent example of that. I'm not bashing Mayock I think it's par for the course, he is a great analyst and all knowing but the science is far from exact.

Edited by Commonsense

Are you suggesting Mayock rigs his listings? You know, this is the guy who's widely regarded as the top evaluator of college talent. Doesn't mean he always gets it right but I don't think he'd last a minute if he was suspected of tanking for "favors." Strange remark

Honestly, I really like Mayock but it wouldn't be shocking. I still can't past the year he had Robert Ayers, a guy who didn't even start full time in college, as the best defensive player in his draft. It seemed super fishy.

But in general, fans need to view these rankings as entertainment and not gospel. These guys don't get held accountable and fired for bad picks or calls.

Nothing nefarious, but his reports jump around quite a bit

and I think he enjoys the attention it generates. He is an NFL employee right? So I suppose that's all part of his job. I do often wonder, what if Mike Mayock had a top 32 sheet under his pillow, would look the same as the ones we see?

At certain times I think he just plain ole gets excited about a player and fools himself. Peppers is a recent example of that. I'm not bashing Mayock I think it's par for the course, he is a great analyst and all knowing but the science is far from exact.

True enough.

Couple of things.

1) He has Peppers ahead of both Adams AND Hooker at safety. Couldn't disagree more. And I like Peppers.

2) It's interesting that nickel back is now getting a separate header in DB rankings.

Very interesting indeed, and I love Budda Baker in there. If he is there in the 2nd for us I think we take him.

No way Peppers is ranked better than Hooker and Adams, I think Hooker is the best ballhawk but Adams is the best all around.

I just hope some of this guys is there at 10:

1. Lattimore

2. Hooker

3. Adams

4. Davis

5. Williams

6. Foster

We just need some team to jump us to take a QB or two

.....hell, from what I read even Touchdown Jesus said, " r u kidding me?"...........uh oh...........

I think he is very similar to EJ and you can see why teams would talk themselves into. Has all the God given physical gifts and seems like a good kid. Brian Kelly is a giant d bag who probably is awful to play for.

I think we forget how much situations matter to a qb. If Dak goes to the Browns, he isn't close to the same player. Same think with Russell Wilson. If Brady and Rodgers are forced to play as rookies and make mistakes, impatient fans and media want the guy out of the league.

I believe Mayock liked EJ and said he was a ball of clay. EJ probably won't have been a starting NFL qb. But I have zero doubts he looks better if he got drafted by NE rather than us. Qb development is so huge and we are on par with the Browns in that area. Hopefully things are changing.

Where Mayock comes into his own, imho, is when you watch him as the draft unfolds. He has a real handle on what teams are likely to do. He will regularly quickly give a choice between 3 guys for the next pick, but say he thinks it will be one of them specifically, and the one he goes with, is very often correct. Rarely do I see him be wrong, and the pick be someone he hasn't just mentioned.

I think the biggest problem with him, is that although he is happy to rank guys, he's less forthcoming about where he thinks they should be taken.