Trading back into Round 1 for a QB

stuvian

Its the combo of lousy mechanics and an air raid offense that I think is scaring people away. However, if one watches the tape, such as the LSU game, you'll see that he is spot-on with his throws even with that back leg waving about.

Mechanics on Mahomes are fine. He delivers the ball accurately. It's actually a plus that he can do without stepping into every throw in my book. In the NFL, you don't get perfect pockets. You will have fast 280 lb guys trying to kill you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst QB draft in years. Yes, let's mortgage the future to get one.

We already did that (mortgaged the future - when we wasted a 2nd #1 on Watkins)

At least now The Bills would have a CHANCE at getting a franchise QB...

Nothing Ventured - Nothing Gained, No Risk - No Reward, need I go on?

And how about all those other wasted Bills #1 draft picks who busted - this would be no worse...

ALL DRAFT PICKS ARE EQUALLY CAPABLE OF BUSTING....

No, just no Bills have much bigger needs to address than QB

There is NO BIGGER NEED....

Edited by DefenseWins

If you like a QB enough to draft him in the 1st, then take him at 10.

I agree...sacrificing future assets is unnecessary and only hurts the team down the road...I don't want to take a QB early this year, but if the Bills are going to do it I prefer they either stay put at their first or second round pick and select one there.

Its the combo of lousy mechanics and an air raid offense that I think is scaring people away. However, if one watches the tape, such as the LSU game, you'll see that he is spot-on with his throws even with that back leg waving about.

....I would hope that mechanics are correctable but it depends on the teacher (was never impressed with David Lee) and a willing student ...Air Raid or the old day's version of run and shoot, is baffling why QB's cannot make the transition....even though Mariota was in the spread, it was principally shotgun and he is steadily making progress in the transition IMO...it is when you get into "gray matter issues", a/k/a scanning the field, reads/progressions or abandoning reads prematurely to pull it down and take off (TT's issues IMO) that I wonder if you can re-train the brain......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

We already did that (mortgaged the future - when we wasted a 2nd #1 on Watkins)

At least now The Bills would have a CHANCE at getting a franchise QB...

Nothing Ventured - Nothing Gained, No Risk - No Reward, need I go on?

And how about all those other wasted Bills #1 draft picks who busted - this would be no worse...

ALL DRAFT PICKS ARE EQUALLY CAPABLE OF BUSTING....

There is NO BIGGER NEED....

Don't bother. PTR is vehemently against drafting QB's ever, because if you never draft one, then you can never draft a bust.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184019-must-read-for-anyone-who-wants-to-draft-a-qb/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/101763-qb-class-of-2007/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/171528-doug-whaley-on-the-drafting-of-ej-manuel/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191840-deshaun-watson-a-bargain-in-1st-for-bills-dp/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191863-to-qb-or-to-not-qb/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173707-there-has-not-been-a-qb-worth-signingdrafting-since-2013/

You only want the Bills to acquire backups in the draft? Why is that?

You dont know that Kaya is gonna be a backup.....we dont know what is gonna happen with any of these qbs they could ALL flunk out

For all we know the best qb to come out of this draft is Chad Kelly

Edited by John from Hemet

Not a fan of that. We don't have enough picks in this draft as it is. The draft is deep at DB and WR two areas of big need on this team. The QBs in this draft are so lackluster that you're assuming they can be acquired in the late first round. Need doesn't make the selection better.

If you like a QB enough to draft him in the 1st, then take him at 10.

If you can get another pick with a smart move down and still get your guy, then do it. Thing is there is no real consensus and we don't know if the Bills really like any of these QBs. Drafting a guy at 10 doesn't make him any better of a QB.

Edited by Boatdrinks

http://gbnreport.com/2017-first-round-selection-order/

I'm operating on the assumption that we aren't taking a QB at #1. That said, we will need to trade back into round 1 if we entertain the notion of getting one of the top QB prospects. Who do we need to get in front of in round 1 to ensure we get one of Watson, Trubinsky, Kizer or Mahomes?

instead of trading up, let's try a novel approach and trade back. it is much easier to acquire capital this way. trading up costs you capital, something we do not have a plethora of...

Not really.

2013 and 2014 are both proving to be lousy QB drafts, and the jury is seriously out on 2016 thus far.

I'll never understand why some folks WOULDN'T draft a QB every year if you don't have a franchise guy.

This is one place that we differ. I'm all for drafting a guy you like a round early but I don't believe that you can get a good sense for whether or not a guy can play without development and reps. As an example I think that this is a big year for Cardale. He's either going to take big steps or be out of the league IMO. I believe in the guy and they are trying to develop him.

If there is a guy that you like go for it but I wouldn't just take guys because you don't have a franchise QB. Tyrod buys you time to get the guy that you love.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Totally agree. If Trubisky or Mahomes are there at 10 I want the Bills to pounce.

If the Bills agree with them being 1st round values and take one of them at 10, 👍🏻. Personally I think they are and have been setting them selves up for it to be a strong possibility, Watson is a realistic possibility as well at 10. My only hope is it's not Kizer at 10.

Mechanics on Mahomes are fine. He delivers the ball accurately. It's actually a plus that he can do without stepping into every throw in my book. In the NFL, you don't get perfect pockets. You will have fast 280 lb guys trying to kill you.

I agree, just seems that that is the reason people are running away.

I think everyone over-analyzes a QB. Really, in my mind, it boils down to "can he deliver the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be there."

This is one place that we differ. I'm all for drafting a guy you like a round early but I don't believe that you can get a good sense for whether or not a guy can play without development and reps. As an example I think that this is a big year for Cardale. He's either going to take big steps or be put of the league IMO. I believe in the guy and they are trying to develop him.

If there is a guy that you like go for it but I wouldn't just take guys because you don't have a franchise QB. Tyrod buys you time to get the guy that you love.

Actually, we don't really differ on this...I simply mean that I'd always be looking for a QB to draft if I'm not sold on the ones that I have.

I agree that there's no value to taking a guy simply to satisfy a self-imposed requirement