Trading back into Round 1 for a QB

stuvian

In the last 3 drafts there has also been Derek Carr and Dak Prescott. Plenty of guys are entering the league and making a difference.

You named TWO in 3 drafts...how many QB's were drafted to find those 2? You don't just draft one for the sake of drafting one and hope it works out because it MOSTLY does not work out.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You named TWO in 3 drafts...how many QB's were drafted to find those 2? You don't just draft one for the sake of drafting one and hope it works out because it MOSTLY does not work out.

You missed the post I replied to where someone mentioned Wentz, Winston, Mariotta, etc.

It sounds like you just don't believe in drafting QB's unless there is a John Elway level prospect available. Obviously, I disagree with your don't draft QB's strategy.

It's hard to pull a guys fan card for not thinking the Bills

are going to the playoffs. Y2k is more recent than the playoffs. The Bills are in the bottom 5 in the NFL to make the Super Bowl. 100-1, they are a shade ahead of the Browns. Sure, by the time camp starts most of us will find a few reasons for hope but maybe we should let the guy watch the games don't you think John?...

I suspect John will not be enjoying the games either.

the jets have taken a few qbs in the 2nd and third in geno hackeberg and petty and look at them. poster childs for taking shots and so far whiffing. they also took one at 5 in sanchez and whiffed. also the poster children for getting to afc title games on the backs of a great defense.

You missed the post I replied to where someone mentioned Wentz, Winston, Mariotta, etc.

It sounds like you just don't believe in drafting QB's unless there is a John Elway level prospect available. Obviously, I disagree with your don't draft QB's strategy.

I suspect John will not be enjoying the games either.

You couldn't be more wrong about my stance as I am a huge advocate for drafting QB's. But I am not an advocate for REACHING for a QB, especially when we are NOT desperate for a QB. Taking a QB at 10 would be about as dumb as taking Whitner over Ngata or taking Spiller with the 9th pick when we had Freddy and Lynch on the roster.

But you have ignored the fact that we are NOT desperate at QB. Your opinion of TT is 100% irrelevant, the FACTS are we just restructured a QB named Taylor to be our starter next year and are NOT desperate where we have to gamble and over draft a guy this year.

There is NO scenario where ANY QB in this draft would be the BPA on the Bills board at 10. None of the QB's are even listed in the top 10, and only 1 is listed in the top 30 of the prospects. So you don't pass on a BETTER prospect at a position where you don't even have your starters filled yet like S, WR, CB, D front 7 to REACH for a QB while having a young QB who just led your team to the 5th highest scoring team in the NFL.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If the Bills had hired Kyle Shanahan we could have used him as our primary QB guru/scout.

If a glance back at Shanahan’s 2014 scouting aptitude is any indicator of his overall eye for talent, the 49ers may be getting a coach who possesses the rare combination of being outstanding at evaluating talent, as well as elite in his offensive scheming abilities.

Thursday, Shanahan spoke to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com where he confirmed that he advised the Cleveland Browns to draft Raiders quarterback Derek Carr or Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo over Johnny Manziel to no avail.

“They had me look at every quarterback and evaluate every quarterback,” Shanahan said at the Super Bowl,
. “That’s everywhere. They ask you to evaluate everyone and you give grades and . . . you have to wait and see what happens.”

Luckily for Raiders fans, the Browns did what the Browns do, and failed miserably on their draft pick.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201405/browns-100000-study-finds-teddy-bridgewater-best-qb-draft

Instead of listen to Shanahan who wanted Carr or the 100,000 dollar study that said Bridgewater the Brown then drafted Johnny Manziel because a homeless guy walked up to their owner and told him to take Johnny!

That's why I advocated the Bills hire a QB Czar, the best QB scout they could find with Pegula bucks. Then hire an elite QB guru/offensive mastermind like Jim Bob Cooter. Instead, here we are hoping our defensive minded coach and Whaley have what it takes.

Enjoy year 18 Tyrod is your qb, year 19 as well if we don't groom a guy this year.

Do you have a point to make or something? What are you so angry about ?

Trying to under stand an ambiguous post. You don't like people responding to you maybe you shouldn't post. Your 18 year comment sure sounds like they miss the playoffs if they don;t draft a QB. At least that's what I got from it.

Jeffs answer is correct. It's not rocket science.

So when you said enjoy year 18 in response to wasting a pick on a QB. You're now backpedaling?

Learn how to quote properly.

Use big words junior, what is your point ?

Tyrod in 17 = no playoffs. Tyrod in 18 = no playoffs

Draft a qb who isn't scared to read a defense and use the whole field/get him ready for 18 = possibility of playoffs

Trying to under stand an ambiguous post. You don't like people responding to you maybe you shouldn't post. Your 18 year comment sure sounds like they miss the playoffs if they don;t draft a QB. At least that's what I got from it.

Correct. Add an 'e to the your new guy. Or just let the guy I was talking to reply. It's a 6 year conversation that you're not privy too. Edited by Ryan L Billz

Learn how to quote properly.

Use big words junior, what is your point ?

Tyrod in 17 = no playoffs. Tyrod in 18 = no playoffs

Draft a qb who isn't scared to read a defense and use the whole field/get him ready for 18 = possibility of playoffs

uh oh now I went and made you mad. Strike a nerve did I?

If the Bills had hired Kyle Shanahan we could have used him as our primary QB guru/scout.

If a glance back at Shanahan’s 2014 scouting aptitude is any indicator of his overall eye for talent, the 49ers may be getting a coach who possesses the rare combination of being outstanding at evaluating talent, as well as elite in his offensive scheming abilities.

Thursday, Shanahan spoke to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com where he confirmed that he advised the Cleveland Browns to draft Raiders quarterback Derek Carr or Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo over Johnny Manziel to no avail.

“They had me look at every quarterback and evaluate every quarterback,” Shanahan said at the Super Bowl,
. “That’s everywhere. They ask you to evaluate everyone and you give grades and . . . you have to wait and see what happens.”

Luckily for Raiders fans, the Browns did what the Browns do, and failed miserably on their draft pick.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201405/browns-100000-study-finds-teddy-bridgewater-best-qb-draft

Instead of listen to Shanahan who wanted Carr or the 100,000 dollar study that said Bridgewater the Brown then drafted Johnny Manziel because a homeless guy walked up to their owner and told him to take Johnny!

That's why I advocated the Bills hire a QB Czar, the best QB scout they could find with Pegula bucks. Then hire an elite QB guru/offensive mastermind like Jim Bob Cooter. Instead, here we are hoping our defensive minded coach and Whaley have what it takes.

This stuff gets so over exaggerated. The great Bill Walsh that found Montana drafted Jim Drunkenmiller and called him the next Montana. He also traded up for JJ Stokes and called him the next Rice.

GM's say this stuff all the time, mostly they are wrong, but they when they guess right they are now the next Nostradamus while they ignore the hundreds of players they were wrong about. Its like when they always show Daniel Negreanu guess exactly what the other poker players cards are on TV...they don't show you the 100 times prior to that he guessed wrong.

uh oh now I went and made you mad. Strike a nerve did I?

Hes a huge TT troller around here, you will get used to it.

This stuff gets so over exaggerated. The great Bill Walsh that found Montana drafted Jim Drunkenmiller and called him the next Montana. He also traded up for JJ Stokes and called him the next Rice.

GM's say this stuff all the time, mostly they are wrong, but they when they guess right they are now the next Nostradamus while they ignore the hundreds of players they were wrong about. Its like when they always show Daniel Negreanu guess exactly what the other poker players cards are on TV...they don't show you the 100 times prior to that he guessed wrong.

Whats the difference between those guys you used above as an example? They got it right one time and wrong another. Everyone around here is sitting on their hands waiting for this organization to get it right. Jim Kelly and then decades of nothing at QB..

I just Googled Walsh and Druckenmiller and found this...

And then there's Jim Druckenmiller. In 1997 the 49ers made the fateful decision to ignore Bill Walsh's recommendation of Jake Plummer and instead used their 26th overall pick to select QB Jim Druckenmiller out of Virginia Tech. I was a fan of Jake the Snake dating back to Arizona State but I was quick to sell myself on the big bad Druckenmiller. He had a huge arm and played in a pro style offense with the Hokies. What wasn't there to love about the guy? Turns out plenty.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/4/15/2111698/49ers-top-10-nfl-draft-busts-no-1-jim-druckenmiller-quarterback

Well done new guy. Gonna need more fire for that though. The idiotic statement about back peddling is a good start.

Who would you like to see us add in the draft ?

Depends on what CBs or WRs are there. I like Foster but going to a 4-3, I'm not sure ILB is a need. Oh and for the record, I asked if you were back pedaling.

I'll never understand why some folks WOULDN'T draft a QB every year if you don't have a franchise guy.

Said it many times........Bills have picked quite a lot of good players in round 1 since they passed on Drew Brees..........and all they have left to show for it is Dareus......and two guys on still on their rookie contract(Sammy/Shaq).

17 years.....3 first rounders on the roster.....no franchise QB.......Brees still passing for 5K yards per year.

The value of HITTING on a QB pick makes it worthwhile to keep attacking that position despite the bust rate.

You couldn't be more wrong about my stance as I am a huge advocate for drafting QB's. But I am not an advocate for REACHING for a QB, especially when we are NOT desperate for a QB. Taking a QB at 10 would be about as dumb as taking Whitner over Ngata or taking Spiller with the 9th pick when we had Freddy and Lynch on the roster.

But you have ignored the fact that we are NOT desperate at QB. Your opinion of TT is 100% irrelevant, the FACTS are we just restructured a QB named Taylor to be our starter next year and are NOT desperate where we have to gamble and over draft a guy this year.

There is NO scenario where ANY QB in this draft would be the BPA on the Bills board at 10. None of the QB's are even listed in the top 10, and only 1 is listed in the top 30 of the prospects. So you don't pass on a BETTER prospect at a position where you don't even have your starters filled yet like S, WR, CB, D front 7 to REACH for a QB while having a young QB who just led your team to the 5th highest scoring team in the NFL.

Any organization worth its salt takes into account the importance of position when determining BPA. I fundamentally disagree that there's no chance Watson is the #10 or higher on the Bills board.

No team in their right mind wants the #1 OG prospect over the #2 QB prospect.

Edited by FireChan

Anyone else think that it goes into the second day and all QBs are still on the board? If so, when was the last time that freakin happened.

I don't think that will happen. there are too many teams that need a QB and this class is not anywhere near as bad as the EJ/Geno class of 2013.

Any organization worth its salt takes into account the importance of position when determining BPA. I fundamentally disagree that there's no chance Watson is the #10 or higher on the Bills board.

No team in their right mind wants the #1 OG prospect over the #2 QB prospect.

You also fundamentally disagree with the Bills decision to bring TT back, so theres that too.

You also fundamentally disagree with the Bills decision to bring TT back, so theres that too.

Well the Bills certainly have been right these last 17 years!

Again though, every team takes into account the position. Crazy to me that you think the #1 ILB would be taken over the #2 or #3 pass rusher.

Edited by FireChan