Trading back into Round 1 for a QB

stuvian

What year is it worse than? 2016 that saw Wentz go #2? 2014 that had 1 QB picked in the top 10?

Have you ever had an original thought, or do you text John Murphy asking what to post?

2011 outside of Cam was horrendous, as was 2013. The media tries to talk these guys up, but there is no Jameis, no Marcus, or no Andrew in this draft.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 outside of Cam was horrendous, as was 2013. The media tries to talk these guys up, but there is no Jameis, no Marcus, or no Andrew in this draft.

There wasn't in 2016 or 2014 either. Calling this "the worst QB draft in years" is an ignorant statement on every level. Especially when the 2013 draft exists.

In the last 3 drafts there has also been Derek Carr and Dak Prescott. Plenty of guys are entering the league and making a difference.

Enjoy year 18 bud. Keep ignoring the qb position, 3 more years to tie the Saints.

Wait....Drafting a QB this year is going to prevent the Bills from missing the playoffs? What you said right here would seem to indicate that not only is there a rookie QB that could bring the team to the playoffs, the Bills will know who that is and he will be available to them and the guy will beat out Taylor for the starting job. Is that what you meant by this statement? Year 18 huh?

Wait....Drafting a QB this year is going to prevent the Bills from missing the playoffs? What you said right here would seem to indicate that not only is there a rookie QB that could bring the team to the playoffs, the Bills will know who that is and he will be available to them and the guy will beat out Taylor for the starting job. Is that what you meant by this statement? Year 18 huh?

The Bills are not making the playoffs this year. They need to draft and develop a QB and stop just picking up other team's discards.

In the last 3 drafts there has also been Derek Carr and Dak Prescott. Plenty of guys are entering the league and making a difference.

That were not taken in the 1st round

The Bills are not making the playoffs this year. They need to draft and develop a QB and stop just picking up other team's discards.

Really....we are not making the playoffs this year?

I take it you will be occupying yourself on Sunday's then somewhere else while the rest of us enjoy the games?

I disagree

IMO one of the reasons we have not made the playoffs over the last couple of years is because Mgmt keeps trading away draft picks

Instead of acquiring more

In fact acquiring more draft picks gives us so much more flexibility with regard to burning em on more QB's

Same for acquiring comp picks when you lose FA talent

jc

Yes, and neither was considered an Andrew Luck level prospect. That's why those complaining about the 2017 draft should understand you don't need an A+ level prospect to succeed. Carr was attacked as a system QB that folded under pressure and Dak was compared to Tim Tebow.

http://gbnreport.com/2017-first-round-selection-order/

I'm operating on the assumption that we aren't taking a QB at #1. That said, we will need to trade back into round 1 if we entertain the notion of getting one of the top QB prospects. Who do we need to get in front of in round 1 to ensure we get one of Watson, Trubinsky, Kizer or Mahomes?

Might be the single worst idea I have heard this off season. Trade back into round 1 when we already have just 6 picks in this draft and tons of holes to fill. Means giving up more assets next year, which likely means a 1st next year. Do we really need a new thread every day on how to replace Taylor given they just resigned him to be our QB?

This draft is LOADED everywhere but OT and QB. First, teams have to want to give up that first round pick, which is going to be expensive this year with so much talent in the draft. Second, none of the QB's in this draft are worth giving up valuable assets for, none of them. If one they like a lot falls in the 2nd to them, then maybe they grab him, but even that is not likely. But they certainly are not using #10 on one nor trading up for one either.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If you like a QB enough to draft him in the 1st, then take him at 10.

I agree fully. If they think that one of these QBs can be a long-term good starting QB, then don't mess around, just take him at 10. Problem is, are any of these guys capable of being a good NFL starting QB?

Take a look at Carr's scouting report coming out. Does it sound like someone in 2017?

Arm strength and accuracy

Carr has the best arm talent of any quarterback in this 2014 NFL Draft. That may seem like a strong statement, but he proved it time and time again throughout the last two seasons. Even when his mechanics fail him, Carr can put the ball in any spot on the field with velocity, timing and accuracy. Additionally, Carr has exceptional touch and accuracy on his deep passes.

Comparing Carr to Matthew Stafford or Jay Cutler is not a stretch in this department. Regardless of his arm slot, footwork or the spot on the field he's throwing to, Carr can put the appropriate velocity on the ball.

For the most part, Fresno State's offense called for vertical passes and screens...Unfortunately, it's tough to get enough of a feel for how Carr reads defenses because of his offense. He was asked to make relatively simple reads that won't necessarily translate to the NFL.

Mechanics

And here's where we start getting into some of the negatives to Carr's game. His mechanics, particularly in his lower body, are inconsistent at best. He often throws off of his back foot and doesn't transfer his weight properly when throwing the ball. He also lets his throwing mechanics be affected by pressure in the pocket, whether it's rushing his throw and not paying attention to his arm slot or not taking the time to focus on proper lower body mechanics.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/14/5614326/derek-carr-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Take a look at Carr's scouting report coming out. Does it sound like someone in 2017?

Carr has the best arm talent of any quarterback in this 2014 NFL Draft. That may seem like a strong statement, but he proved it time and time again throughout the last two seasons. Even when his mechanics fail him, Carr can put the ball in any spot on the field with velocity, timing and accuracy. Additionally, Carr has exceptional touch and accuracy on his deep passes.

Comparing Carr to Matthew Stafford or Jay Cutler is not a stretch in this department. Regardless of his arm slot, footwork or the spot on the field he's throwing to, Carr can put the appropriate velocity on the ball.

For the most part, Fresno State's offense called for vertical passes and screens...Unfortunately, it's tough to get enough of a feel for how Carr reads defenses because of his offense. He was asked to make relatively simple reads that won't necessarily translate to the NFL.

Mechanics

And here's where we start getting into some of the negatives to Carr's game. His mechanics, particularly in his lower body, are inconsistent at best. He often throws off of his back foot and doesn't transfer his weight properly when throwing the ball. He also lets his throwing mechanics be affected by pressure in the pocket, whether it's rushing his throw and not paying attention to his arm slot or not taking the time to focus on proper lower body mechanics.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/14/5614326/derek-carr-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

How about this one?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matthew-stafford?id=79860

Mechanics

For every Matt Stafford and David Carr there are a hundred Akili Smith, Jack Lockers, Brian Brohms, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinarts, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, Blain Gabberts, etc.

Nothing before the draft is accurate...nothing...because none of them have played a down in the NFL yet. All you can do is make your best guess based on your analysis of the prospect at his ability to succeed in the NFL. There is a TON that goes into that, including fitting the system that team wants to build.

And cherry picking success stories to validate REACHING for a QB is a bit silly. I mean by that logic, why isnt anyone advocating to use our first pick on one of the QBs believed to be going in the 5th or 6th rounds and posting Bradys pre-draft grade to validate it? Or drafting a guy at 10 who is bagging groceries right now because it worked for the Rams with Kurt Warner...

I mean you can't cherry pick a success story and then apply it to all future scenarios.

For every Matt Stafford and David Carr there are a hundred Akili Smith, Jack Lockers, Brian Brohms, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinarts, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, Blain Gabberts, etc.

Nothing before the draft is accurate...nothing...because none of them have played a down in the NFL yet. All you can do is make your best guess based on your analysis of the prospect at his ability to succeed in the NFL. There is a TON that goes into that, including fitting the system that team wants to build.

And cherry picking success stories to validate REACHING for a QB is a bit silly. I mean by that logic, why isnt anyone advocating to use our first pick on one of the QBs believed to be going in the 5th or 6th rounds and posting Bradys pre-draft grade to validate it? Or drafting a guy at 10 who is bagging groceries right now because it worked for the Rams with Kurt Warner...

I mean you can't cherry pick a success story and then apply it to all future scenarios.

Good scouting is watching a player in college and trying to see if they have the necessary traits to play well in the NFL. Go ahead and post a draft profile for a 5th round or 6th round expected pick in 2017 that reads like Tom Brady or Kurt Warner coming out.

Anyone else think that it goes into the second day and all QBs are still on the board? If so, when was the last time that freakin happened.

Yes, I think its a real possibility. Not sure when the last time that happened was, but I think someone said it was in the 80's.

However, personally if I had to guess now I do still think at least 1 QB will still go in the 1st. It wouldn't surprise me though if none did, just like it wouldn't surprise me if 4 went in the first, just depends on a teams desire/need for a QB and how they feel about these guys. I wouldn't take any of them inside the top 15 personally.

Really....we are not making the playoffs this year?

I take it you will be occupying yourself on Sunday's then somewhere else while the rest of us enjoy the games?

It's hard to pull a guys fan card for not thinking the Bills

are going to the playoffs. Y2k is more recent than the playoffs. The Bills are in the bottom 5 in the NFL to make the Super Bowl. 100-1, they are a shade ahead of the Browns. Sure, by the time camp starts most of us will find a few reasons for hope but maybe we should let the guy watch the games don't you think John?...