Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the draft coming up I was thinking about the number of terrible first round picks we have made in the past. A lot of the members here may eclipse my memory of this teams drafting woes as I started following the Bills during the Super Bowl years as a young lad and am sure I missed some disappointing picks in the past. That being said I'd love to know the opinions of this informed board. Here we go...

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps. Marshawn was misbehaving and shown the door, then promptly made us look like idiots when the Seahawks surprised everyone beating the Saints while Beast Mode was showered in skittles after an indestructible run. Joique Bell landed with the Lions and became their #1 RB over time, obviously not on the level of Marshawn talent wise but made a significant positive impact on their team. And Fred Jackson who essentially saved our asses when's CJ showed his inability to be a true workhorse back.

CJ Spiller was a huge disappointment and a bad pick when we had a bevy of talent with the team already.

Who's your bugaboo, your oopsies, the player picked in the first that made you throw up in your mouth a bit?

Mods, if this has been discussed then by all means close the thread.

This topic has been discussed many times over, but I never miss a chance to take a shot at Aaron Maybin. No t only did the asshat make a video of how awesome he thought he was, but was soo bad, he was even mocked by other Bills players.

Aaron Maybin.

Worst ever, all time, spanning several other teams, divisions, and quite possibly other sports. I'd put him in the conversation with Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell.

Unlike your bust, aaron never even had a good series, let alone game, or season for anyone, anywhere.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't Spiller one of the most productive players in football when utilized properly. He averaged 6 yards a carry and had the 2nd most yards after contact. Peterson was first. They shouldn't have drafted him but he was much better than several of our other first round picks. Flowers and McCargo being 2.

He had a fluke year. Spiller sucked.

The worst have to be Maybin, Tuttle, Flowers, and McCargo. Others who played but not very well include Al Cowlings, Mike Williams, Manuel, and so far, Sammie Watkins. Players who have underperformed for their draft position have to include Dareus (3rd overall, I believe, and there are a lot of guys from that draft who were picked lower who are superstars.)

Cousineau is on lists because he Montreal outbid the Bills, but he was an OK player. Not worth the overall #1.

Finally, here's a provocative choice: Jim Kelly. Recent other threads want to acclaim Tom Brady as GOAT keep referring to his championships. Well, Kelly never won even one SB, with a hugely talented roster.(I'm not really serious about Kelly so don't have a heart attack)

You CANNOT put Watkins in the "not played very well" category. He has had times when he has been the best player on the field (2nd half of 2015). If you want to put him on underperformed draft value go for it but to group him with EJ is asinine.

You CANNOT put Watkins in the "not played very well" category. He has had times when he has been the best player on the field (2nd half of 2015). If you want to put him on underperformed draft value go for it but to group him with EJ is asinine.

EJ absolutely (massively) underperformed and for that he deserves a "Bust" mantle. BUT, the kid does not deserve to be on a list that contains Aaron Mabin.

EJ Manual, as hard as he tried, did not have what it takes.

Aaron Maybin NEVER EVEN TRIED. THAT is a category unto itself!

EJ absolutely (massively) underperformed and for that he deserves a "Bust" mantle. BUT, the kid does not deserve to be on a list that contains Aaron Mabin.

EJ Manual, as hard as he tried, did not have what it takes.

Aaron Maybin NEVER EVEN TRIED. THAT is a category unto itself!

Money tried,he just sucked. Too small and weak.I remember watching the pick with my sons. Why..Why. Duh Bills

Money tried,he just sucked. Too small and weak.I remember watching the pick with my sons. Why..Why. Duh Bills

Pardon me if my memory fails me but, Maybin didn't even show up for training camp.

The kid was a poser.

Pardon me if my memory fails me but, Maybin didn't even show up for training camp.

The kid was a poser.

Worked for him. We were taken. Nice job scouts. I remember watching him at the combine. Was a out of control clown. Arms flailing,head flying around during drills. It made me laugh. Until we picked him.

Being #1 overall, and me being 100% Polish, Got to be Walt Patulski

Hey at least Rex Ryan remembered him :thumbsup:

Stop with the "Walt Patulski was a bust" narrative. He really wasn't. Not even in the Bills' top 15 draft busts.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/19/busting-40-years-nfl-darkness-walt-patulski-explains-went-wrong/

Edited by mannc

What made the Tuttle pick even worse was that the Bills traded up to get him because they didn't want the consolation prize...WR Mike Quick!

Mike Quick was drafted by Philly with the next pick and had a pretty good career, making their Hall of Fame, smh!

Career

G

AV

Rec

Yds

Y/R

TD

Ugh.

Maybin, Williams, and Losman come close, but the winner has to be Walt Patulski. He was the first pick in the draft, an All American, and winner of other awards such as the Lombardi Trophy. As a Bill, he was as bad if not worse than all the other losers they've drafted at number one.

As noted above, this is completely and utterly false. Patulski started all four years he played for the Bills. He led the team in sacks his rookie year, while heading up an improved defense. He finished second in sacks (with seven) his second year. After starting for four years (and recording a total of 22 sacks in an era when teams did not pass much and sacks therefore were difficult to get), Patulski had a falling out with Lou Saban and was traded to the Cardinals in exchange for a second round draft pick, which the Bills used to select Joe Devlin. Patulski was hardly a bust, although he perhaps did not live up to his first overall selection, albeit in 1972, one of the worst overall drafts in NFL history. He was a far, far better player than the likes of Maybin, Losman, Mike Williams, McCargo, Hunter, Tuttle, Flowers, etc.

Edited by mannc

How can you pick Spiller when you have winners like Eric Flowers, who never did ANYTHING in any game, ever?

Or Maybin.

Those who include Losman or Whitner or Spiller are letting their disappointment over those players not being up to the hopes for them overcome the fact that, actually, they could play well at times, and had some (few) accomplishments, Whereas guys like Flowers were a complete waste.

My vote would be for Maybin even over a bust like Flowers. Maybin was a top 10 draft pick, making his bust worse compared to Flowers who I think was a late first round pick. And compared to Williams who was a top 3 pick, Maybin was a head scratching pick where you could question what management was thinking when other players were available. Williams was a consensus good pick at the time.