Possible 2nd Round Safety - Obi Melifonwu

It looks more and more to me that both Hooker and Adams will be gone by the time the Bills pick. Not sure where I would want them to go with that pick yet WR is a possibility or CB if Lattimore is available. But I am liking the Bills targeting Obi Melifonwu more and more in the 2nd round. Not sure he will fall that far as his combine numbers were great. I have never been sold on Jabril Peppers in the top 2 rounds and even less so after seeing Melifonwu having better numbers in all categories and 5 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. This is the size individual to match up on large tight ends in man to man. Should be able to cover ground on deep balls in the secondary.

Are there any UConn fans who have seen him play and can comment on him?

Height 6-4

Weight 224 lbs.

40 yard dash - 4.40s

Vertical - 44" (a number he was upset with)

Broad Jump 11'9" (12'3" is the record I think)

From NFL.com Player Profile

OVERVIEW

Obi Melifonwu (pronounced OH-bee mel-un-FON-woo) has been a four-year starter at UConn. The Massachusetts area high school star redshirted his first year with the Huskies, and became the team's starting free safety in 2013 (70 tackles, three tackles for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He started 11 games the next season (75 stops, 3.5 TFL, three PBU), and 12 as a junior (88 tackles, two TFL, two INT, five PBU). Melifonwu was a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection and his team's top tackler in 2016, making 118 hits, 2.5 for loss, leading the team with four interceptions and breaking up three other passes.

STRENGTHS

Elite size with premium athletic traits that should show up at combine testing. Four-year starter. Sharp focus when ball is in the air. Takes path to the ball with undercut of the route at the last second. Plus hand-eye coordination to flip the field with interceptions. Former cornerback who has the athleticism to cover matchup tight ends and some big slots. Posted six interceptions over last two seasons. Uses big frame to body-up seam-runners and constrict their windows. Downhill tackling machine. Plus range with a wide net to bring runners down once he gets his arms into them. Body-up hitter. Drastically reduced penalties totals over junior and senior season.

WEAKNESSES

Leggy and gets feet bundled up when asked to turn and sprint. Lacks desired instincts and will play with slow eyes at times. Has to see ball in the air before charging over to help on deep throws. Inconsistent with coverage responsibilities from high safety. Takes time to diagnose play-action. Rub routes found him near goal line. Can take inefficient paths to the ball that get him there a step too late. Would benefit from high-pointing rather than waiting on throws.

SOURCES TELL US "He's a freak. He's going to blow away the combine. He's fast and will post some of the best vertical and broad numbers at his position. He's going to get a lot better in the pros and he has that elite size that will get him overdrafted." -- AFC Pro Personnel Director

BOTTOM LINE Big and athletic, he may lack the coverage qualities and instincts needed to work as a "last line of defense" player in a pass-happy division. Melifonwu is an effective downhill tackler who has the ability to match up against tight ends and make a living near the line of scrimmage. His football instincts aren't up to par, but the size and traits will be extremely enticing for teams who covet traits first.

I'm a fan of Obi.I'd love him in the second rd! Between him and Hyde,they could switch safety spots I think,and cause chaos.

My dream draft would be trade down to about 18-20, grab an extra third and go Zach Cunningham in the first

Obi in the second

Chris Godwin and Jourdan Lewis third

Maybe he'll have some off the field issues that will drop him to 44. Assuming that doesn't happen. I would hope he is a guy the Bills would take if they were able find a trade partner to drop back to the mid-20s (which i know all bills fans are clamoring for, who doesnt love a trade down).

Edited by iccrewman112

He will be gone in the 1st after the combine

Would it be a stretch to take him if Hooker, Adams, Davis, and Williams are gone before 10?

His measurements and combine numbers are Kam Chancellor like..

Edited by Captain Murica

Maybe he'll have some off the field issues that will drop him to 44. Assuming that doesn't happen. I would hope he is a guy the Bills would take if they were able find a trade partner to drop back to the mid-20s (which i know all bills fans are clamoring for, who doesnt love a trade down).

boy I don't know...he's got the God-given stuff,but top 44 is borderline imo. I think that's just about where he belongs. Of course,talent and need are variable. I'm not spending a top 20 pick for him,but id not be surprised to see him go that early. He's a very good player

Would it be a stretch to take him if Hooker, Adams, Davis, and Williams are gone before 10?

His measurements and combine numbers are Kam Chancellor like..

Yes! That would mean Foster,Thomas,Cunningham,Reddick or Lattimore were available

As I said 2 months ago, he's going to blow up at the combine and go a full round ahead of where his actual performance says he should go.

It's time to start looking at NC State's Josh Jones as a potential option in R3 IMO

not a bad option if Hyde is FS.and we get better value in the second rd at any position of need other than

Yes! That would mean Foster,Thomas,Cunningham,Reddick or Lattimore were available

not a bad option if Hyde is FS.and we get better value in the second rd at any position of need other than

I'm a bad guy to ask about safeties, because I always think that I can find one later in the draft.

I was absolutely incredulous when Justin Simmons was still around in R3 last year.

For this team, as it stands right now, I see Hyde at SS and Poyer at FS, but I need another body at SS to play in big nickel packages if Hyde is going to slide in at slot corner like I expect.

Jones fits the bill, as does Justin Evans. I think there could also be some later-round guys like Jadar Johnson and Lorenzo Jerome that offer enough pop and versatility to be sub-package safeties as well.

I'm a bad guy to ask about safeties, because I always think that I can find one later in the draft.

I was absolutely incredulous when Justin Simmons was still around in R3 last year.

For this team, as it stands right now, I see Hyde at SS and Poyer at FS, but I need another body at SS to play in big nickel packages if Hyde is going to slide in at slot corner like I expect.

Jones fits the bill, as does Justin Evans. I think there could also be some later-round guys like Jadar Johnson and Lorenzo Jerome that offer enough pop and versatility to be sub-package safeties as well.

I'm thinking Hyde can play FS,he has a knack at int's. But if we can land Justin evans,he plays FS. Jerome is intriguing as well,he'll stick in the league imo