Bills lose 3rd & 4th rd. draft picks in '18 due to stupidity

Estro

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, you are looking for scheme fit players who have to actually choose to come to Buffalo. To think that you can sift through June 1 cuts for this is naive at best and a foolish strategy. 20+ FA's all from June 1 cuts to make sure we keep those comp picks. Yeah, very realistic.

Yeah, it is.

We're not going to be competing for the Super Bowl this year. And we're in cap trouble still, though a bit less so after Tyrod's re-negotiation.

So yeah, we need to start emulating the successful teams that use the system effectively. Doing this means we get cheaper players so we can bring in more and have them cost less. Which is what a team with cap pressure should be doing anyway.

Our moves should all be aimed more at the future than at next year. Successful teams tend to have long-range orientations, and so should we. Successful teams tend to get high-priced FAs only very occasionally, and so should we, and successful teams tend to be careful about the cap, not just shifting contracts and problems downstream, and so should we.

Being careful of comp picks helps accomplish all these goal, it has you getting more picks which means higher chances of draft success, it means you tend to spend less on FAs which also increases your chances of success. And it shouldn't be done for only one year, but every single year. Occasionally it will maybe make sense not to work that way, but most years you should be gathering and hoarding picks, including comp picks. That's why the teams with the most comp picks over the years correspond almost one-to-one with the most successful teams in the league.

Our Bills could have easily signed lots of FA's that didn't count towards the formula for getting comp picks

Brandon Marshall was one such player

There are plenty other examples including Jarius Byrd

I can't list all the rest because I do not know of a source on the net listing just released players

Another way was to pony up a bit and sign our own FA's like Lorax

That also didn't count against

Again the OP makes an excellent high football acumen post here

Would you rather have Ducasse at your backup G the next two years or a 3rd round pick in 2018 which could net the next John Miller

Would you rather Poyer as your backup S the next two years or a 3rd round pick in 2018 that could net your the next Adolphus Washington

The answer(s) are rather obvious

Again without the nice 2 comp picks DW got us in 2016 Cardale Jones and Kevin Seymour would not be on our roster

jc

You have to keep this in mind: chances of the Bills making the playoffs aren't real great in 2017. But for Whaley, it's his job. I can't see him coming back if this team doesn't make the playoffs. So if you're Whaley, the future is now. Damn 2018. We'll worry about that in January. By the way, competent, incompetent, or in between, this is why Whaley needed to be fired alongside Rex. This club needs someone with a longer time horizon.

This shows the incompetence of this team. Having a lame duck GM running your organization is a recipe for disaster. Pegs should of blown the whole thing up. Not only fire Rex but his lame duck GM. The lack of vision in this organization is a big reason for the drought.

This sort of stuff doesn't happen overnight, unless you are prepared to tank for a couple of seasons. It happens when you have actually built a successful team in the first instance.

There are far too many contradictions within the argument for it to hold any true weight.

A good example is the Ducasse one. No depth on the O-Line for this year., to get a low 3rd round pick next year, that you have to use on the O-Line, in the hope of finding a better player than one you already have on the roster, who is then likely to take a couple of years to actually become any good, if he doesn't decide to eat his way out of the league.

Did I also mention that it completely screws with how you have to set up your draft board, as well? As you then pretty much are drafting for need, above anything else. A Wilson or Prescott in the 3rd round? Sorry, can't take a chance there, as we really need to use that pick on a backup guard, even if he's no good, because that year the guards aren't.

Imho, outside of the first two rounds, the relative value of draft picks is way overstated. Not because you can't get good players, but because you often don't get to keep them, once you've made them into good players, due to the CBA limiting the length of contracts.

The first thing you have to do every season, is put a team on the field. We can currently barely do that, and have just 6 draft picks.

When circumstances allow, it's certainly worth keeping in mind the availability of comp picks, but as a strategy to build a whole roster, it's somewhat lacking, to say the least.

Sorry Buddo, I disagree

If you take the time to do some reading on which teams have acquired the most comp picks since 1994

You will discover that it matches most of the most successful playoff and Super Bowl teams over the last 22 years

I'm not saying its a hard and fast rule not to sign any FA's just to acquire comp picks

However to simply fluff it off you are purposely throwing away the compensation the NFL created

For small market teams like the Bills to get something back for the free agents they lose in the open market

It's beyond dumb not to take advantage of the system

Just ask the Ravens who have had the most picks

Or the Browns whom have had the least

jc

Sorry Buddo, I disagree

If you take the time to do some reading on which teams have acquired the most comp picks since 1994

You will discover that it matches most of the most successful playoff and Super Bowl teams over the last 22 years

I'm not saying its a hard and fast rule not to sign any FA's just to acquire comp picks

However to simply fluff it off you are purposely throwing away the compensation the NFL created

For small market teams like the Bills to get something back for the free agents they lose in the open market

It's beyond dumb not to take advantage of the system

Just ask the Ravens who have had the most picks

Or the Browns whom have had the least

jc

Over time, sure, but you are just as well trying to trade back in the drafts to get more picks, if you are desperate for them. Bottom line is that you have to put out a team every year, and some years, worrying about comp picks, simply isn't going to get that done. This year, in particular, being a case in point.

I don't doubt the trends you appear to have looked into, hold true, but the fact is, you have to become a good, consistent football team, as your priority, and that doesn't happen through your relative acquisition of comp picks.

We are only a net loss of one now. I feel bryant, hunter, zb, douzable, blanton, White, tate, gragg, salas, and even ej all have chances of being picked up. Thats 10 players. Remember mccray has already been picked up and he is no superstar. Although it might be a good idea to start looking at cuts instead of ufa to add just in case

Edited by Pbomb

Estro, Adam, FireChan and others, I want to say thank you for speaking up and explaining this stuff to us, even in the face of all the sarcasm and insults that add nothing to the discussion. Just got done reporting a post telling one of you to 'shut the !@#$ up.' I hope y'all realize its the ones running on emotion who are the most vocal. Some real well-reasoned posts here, I've learned from this thread, please don't get discouraged.

This thread could not have more misrepresentations if people tried. It would be really nice if people actually read and didn't spin what others wrote.

BTW, thanks alot for reporting that very bad person, we need more good citizens like you. NOT!

If people think they are going to post thread titles like this one and not get called out on this site they are mistaken.

PS: drop the "running on emotion who are most vocal", some of you heroes from line 1 are the most vocal and emotional.

Edited by horned dogs

I'm sorry here, for some reason when I read the title of this thread I thought that our front office had violated some league policy, and we were going to lose our 3rd and 4th round pick in 2018.

But no, you were griping about not getting comp picks.

This...this is stupidity on so many levels.

1) You never go through FA with the assumption of "oh, this will net us a pick next year". The NFL has simply been too inconsistent in handing them out.

2) What, you want us to not bring in FA's for anything? If you don't, you are asking for a tank.

It is stupid to think we could or should wait to fill out our roster players post FA, sifting through post June 1 cuts, other teams' released players, other teams' non-tendered RFA's, or UDFA's. You want to talk about a sh*t roster? Uhhhh, yeah, that would be us. 20+ FA's. Again, 20+ FA's. Only 6 draft picks. We have to sign players. This year is not a feasible one to try to make this argument, but you top notch message board GM's think you have this sh*t COMPLETELY figured out. You guys are clueless. Completely f***ing clueless. Someone mentioned Brandon Marshall. Whotf says Marshall would even want to come to Buffalo? Who says Whaley didn't make a call at least? None of you know. Another person mentioned re-signing some of our own. We did a couple, but do you honestly expect us to "get the band back together" when they made sh*tty music? We are the Bills, a team who hasn't been in the playoffs in 17 years. And no it's not because of f***ing comp picks.

You wanna make a personal side bet with me that the Bills don't get a 3rd and 4th round compensatory pick in '18 because they signed too many UFA's? I've seen this type of ineptitude for far too long.

And if and when we don't make the playoffs in '17 I'd like you to reassess your blind love of the Bills, prior to the '18 NFL draft, & ask yourself if signing guys like Vlad Ducasse, Jordan Poyer, a kicker & a FB was worth forgoing a 3rd & 4th round pick.

You stated very boldly and arrogantly that the Bills don't understand the system, but you do. Not to mention a thread title that implies fact of which we are no where near that point yet. You can call it blind love it you want, that's what fans do by the way. Although that is not the case here, I will call them out when they deserve to be. As a matter of fact, the Bills can't do anything right 18 years crowd, let's just say they are the most emotional and irrational people on here IMO. At least I recognize that an NFL team understands and doesn't ignore the rules. All of them do. They make decisions you may not like. But, they all know the rules, and trying to create a false impression before it happens is petty. You don't know the strategy the team is employing and you imply knowledge that you don't have. That will get you called out every time on this site.

I'm sorry here, for some reason when I read the title of this thread I thought that our front office had violated some league policy, and we were going to lose our 3rd and 4th round pick in 2018.

But no, you were griping about not getting comp picks.

This...this is stupidity on so many levels.

1) You never go through FA with the assumption of "oh, this will net us a pick next year". The NFL has simply been too inconsistent in handing them out.

2) What, you want us to not bring in FA's for anything? If you don't, you are asking for a tank.

You're not the only one who thought this.

Edited by horned dogs

I love this kind of stuff.

What if I told you the Buffalo Bills, prior to the 2017 compensatory draft picks being handed out, were tied for 10th most in the league since 1994?

Some other top ten in compensatory picks:

San Francisco

Dallas Cowboys

Philidelphia Eagles

Los Angeles Rams

Tennessee Titans

Are compensatory picks good? Of course they are, they give you more shots but it wasn't more than 3 years ago the Bills had 1 less compensatory pick than the Patriots* and the Denver Broncos had less than 10.

But hey PFT can finally write an article that has some merit. I find it funny that he chose the number 20 as the cut off, considering there are only a handful of teams who have less than 20 at this point.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It is stupid to think we could or should wait to fill out our roster players post FA, sifting through post June 1 cuts, other teams' released players, other teams' non-tendered RFA's, or UDFA's. You want to talk about a sh*t roster? Uhhhh, yeah, that would be us. 20+ FA's. Again, 20+ FA's. Only 6 draft picks. We have to sign players. This year is not a feasible one to try to make this argument, but you top notch message board GM's think you have this sh*t COMPLETELY figured out. You guys are clueless. Completely f***ing clueless. Someone mentioned Brandon Marshall. Whotf says Marshall would even want to come to Buffalo? Who says Whaley didn't make a call at least? None of you know. Another person mentioned re-signing some of our own. We did a couple, but do you honestly expect us to "get the band back together" when they made sh*tty music? We are the Bills, a team who hasn't been in the playoffs in 17 years. And no it's not because of f***ing comp picks.

Good post!

I love this kind of stuff.

What if I told you the Buffalo Bills, prior to the 2017 compensatory draft picks being handed out, were tied for 10th most in the league since 1994?

Some other top ten in compensatory picks:

San Francisco

Dallas Cowboys

Philidelphia Eagles

Los Angeles Rams

Tennessee Titans

Are compensatory picks good? Of course they are, they give you more shots but it wasn't more than 3 years ago the Bills had 1 less compensatory pick than the Patriots* and the Denver Broncos had less than 10.

Actual factual research- nice post!

If DW moves result in not getting a single comp draft pick in 2018 and I were the Pegula's I'd fire him on the spot

Because its incompetent

jc

JFC - and I thought this was a football team. I thought they made money by putting a product on the field and selling tickets to see that product (team) compete at a game.

SILLY ME

So the whole point of football is to SAVE MONEY and collect draft picks.

REALLY?

I think MADDEN has made experts out of basement dwellers. Perhaps the NFL should have "walk on" tryouts for General Managers.

I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the makority of fans spend their money to WATCH A FOOTBALL GAME. IF that is the case, the number one priority is FIELDING A TEAM.

The Bills need to build a team to win FOOTBALL GAMES not lose players to win the OFF SEASON.

FCOL