Beer Thread

RaoulDuke79

Looks like the weather will cooperate, gonna do the Pliny the Younger event tomorrow morning. Gonna try to get get in line by 8am, doors open at 11. Don't judge me. If it weren't for beer I'd have no life at all

Don't they serve that in a brandy snifter? I recall a picture of it somewhere served in a fancy fluted glass. What the ABV on Pliny?

Went out last night for corned beef and cabbage. Had a Murphy's Irish Stout. Didn't care for it. Tasted kind of watery. I did have a Irish Car Bomb I think it was. About 8oz of Guinness. Take a shot glass with a shot of Jameson Whiskey with some Balileys in it. Drop it in the glass and chug. Pretty nice I must say!

http://www.thedaonline.com/opinion/article_fdb2f306-0acb-11e7-9f06-b36f92cc6700.htm

DSC_6519.jpg

I'm not sure if there's one here or not. I tried searching but didn't see one, so if this is a duplicate please merge.

So what's everyone drinking tonight? I just picked up a case of Flying Dog Tropical B word to mix in the Budweiser keg.

I just opened a S.M.A.S.H. (single malt and single hop) Pilot Batch Pale Ale from the Genesee Brew House.

if anyone is interested in trying to trade beers, send me a PM with your phone number and real name and we can set up a text group so as to not take up bandwidth here and bore non-beer people.

... and non-beer people would be reading a beer thread because..... ? :beer:

For people who like craft beer on a budget you should check out Costco for Kirkland's craft beer mix. It comes by the case with one six-pack each of brown ale, pale ale, IPA, and double bock. It's really not bad and at $20/case you can't beat the price.

Overall the Kirkland beer "family" only rates a 3.11 out of 5.

I do not drink by volume, so I like a higher rated beer.

Always looking for a deal, though. Thanks.

The numbers are ABV, Avg Rating, # of ratings,

Name Style ABV Avg Ratings Bros Kirkland Signature Amber Ale American Amber / Red Ale 5.70 3.2 190 - Kirkland Signature Belgian White Witbier 5.40 2.99 61 - Kirkland Signature Blonde Ale American Blonde Ale 4.30 3.06 13 - Kirkland Signature Brown Ale American Brown Ale 5.00 3.43 17 - Kirkland Signature Double Bock Beer Doppelbock 7.50 3.18 6 - Kirkland Signature German Style Lager Märzen / Oktoberfest 5.50 3.11 127 - Kirkland Signature Hefeweizen Hefeweizen 5.50 3.01 77 - Kirkland Signature India Pale Ale American IPA 6.50 3.1 172 - Kirkland Signature Pale Ale American Pale Ale (APA) 5.40 3.15 190 - Kirkland Signature Session IPA American IPA 4.90 3.51 2 - Summer Ale

Yes snifter style glasses. Got in line at 8am for an 11am tapping. Was about 25th in line, the line never grew past 50, normally it's several hundred in line and only enough for maybe 140 pours. It was weird but I heard the entire younger season releases this year were smaller crowds than usual. But alas, got some and it was excellent

Don't they serve that in a brandy snifter? I recall a picture of it somewhere served in a fancy fluted glass. What the ABV on Pliny?

Yes snifter style glasses. Got in line at 8am for an 11am tapping. Was about 25th in line, the line never grew past 50, normally it's several hundred in line and only enough for maybe 140 pours. It was weird but I heard the entire younger season releases this year were smaller crowds than usual. But alas, got some and it was excellent

Like i said in the other thread...so many great beers now, no longer an "event". My Total Wine still has plenty of Hopslam and Nectar to purchase.

it was great because a couple people in line brought some cans to share of stuff like RAR, Magnify, Other Half among others. I was nicely buzzed prior to going in, then i went deep.....a bit too deep....but made it safe and sound and am here today to live another day....S'all good man!

Like i said in the other thread...so many great beers now, no longer an "event". My Total Wine still has plenty of Hopslam and Nectar to purchase.

Looks like the weather will cooperate, gonna do the Pliny the Younger event tomorrow morning. Gonna try to get get in line by 8am, doors open at 11. Don't judge me. If it weren't for beer I'd have no life at all

Were you in Santa Rosa? I live here and refuse to get in that line. I've seen it hours deep...in the rain. Maybe one day before they move their new site.

No, Philly gets an annual allotment of PtY kegs and the lucky bars put on events with unbelievable tap lists.

Were you in Santa Rosa? I live here and refuse to get in that line. I've seen it hours deep...in the rain. Maybe one day before they move their new site.

No, Philly gets an annual allotment of PtY kegs and the lucky bars put on events with unbelievable tap lists.

I know they ship it out to other areas, so I wasn't sure. It's a big thing here in Santa Rosa. For couple weeks in February, RRBC and Santa Rosa are flooded w/ people from all over the US and world for the tasting. Like I said, line is often hours long. Maybe one day...I love going to the brewery / restaurant when the tourists aren't there.

Yeah, lines are big here too, but the bars, except for Monks, only get one keg each, so it's only a day at each place as they roll them out. I think Philly, a small area in Michigan and perhaps in the NW are the only places go get PtY. I think Vinnie Cilurzo, the owner of RRBC, went to Penn or Drexel with Tom Peters who owns Monks Cafe, hence the strong ties to this area

I know they ship it out to other areas, so I wasn't sure. It's a big thing here in Santa Rosa. For couple weeks in February, RRBC and Santa Rosa are flooded w/ people from all over the US and world for the tasting. Like I said, line is often hours long. Maybe one day...I love going to the brewery / restaurant when the tourists aren't there.

I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather. Late in the fall, my town completed a trail and bridge that leads from my neighborhood directly to a growler filling place. It's maybe a ten minute walk. Before, thanks to some one way roads and annoying traffic lights, the drive took almost as much time. There are going to be plenty of walks with the neighborhood directly to that place now that the sun is out later. I recently downloaded that untapped app but haven't really used it much yet.

As for selection, this place rotates their taps frequently. I've got a pretty broad taste when it comes to beer. I find myself gravitating towards the stouts when I'm there, but on the right day I'll try almost anything. I'll have to start tracking what I'm buying while I'm there.

I try to stay pretty local when it comes to my beer. Some of my favorites...

Light:

Labatt's Blue Light

Molson Canadian Light

Corona or Blue Light Lime (summer)

Craft:

Great Lakes Conway Irish Ale

Big Ditch Hayburner IPA

Big Ditch Deep Cut DIPA

Big Ditch Galaxy Red PA

Hamburg OMS

Hamburg Irish Red

Southern Tier IPA

Ithaca Flower Power IPA

and last but not least...

Guinness

SM_12ozBottle_webTrans.png

Is this any good? I'm a huge sour fan but after a few bad ones and getting weary of spending the money without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I know it's a Bills site but the one Buffalo beer that was put out by Southern Tier is really good. Most of the Southern Tiers I have tried have been good. The Cherry Gose (a sour) was just alright though.

I know some people have wives with gluten allergies (as does mine) she can get away with drinking Corona Light. It was explained (I'm foggy sorry) that the gluten is so low it is basically gluten free. Since she only likes beer (ni wine or hard liquor) this was great news to her.

Is this any good? I'm a huge sour fan but after a few bad ones and getting weary of spending the money without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

That is the hard part as so many Sours are only sold in 750ML bottles. Good news is this Victory looks like a 12oz beer.Total Wine does a great job of selling singles of just about any beer they sell that is not only sold in 750ML, so can always try one before committing to the sixer.

I know it's a Bills site but the one Buffalo beer that was put out by Southern Tier is really good. Most of the Southern Tiers I have tried have been good. The Cherry Gose (a sour) was just alright though.

I know some people have wives with gluten allergies (as does mine) she can get away with drinking Corona Light. It was explained (I'm foggy sorry) that the gluten is so low it is basically gluten free. Since she only likes beer (ni wine or hard liquor) this was great news to her.

I haven't had much experience with sours, I'm more of an IPA guy. I had Sour Monkey for the first time at Victory Brewing a few months ago and developed quite an affection for it. Personally my taste buds think it's great but I don't have much to compare it to.....As an added bonus it packs quite a punch. I think it's about 10% abv. Edited by RaoulDuke79

That is the hard part as so many Sours are only sold in 750ML bottles. Good news is this Victory looks like a 12oz beer.Total Wine does a great job of selling singles of just about any beer they sell that is not only sold in 750ML, so can always try one before committing to the sixer.

Victory is a 12. I'm gonna pick some up on the way home tonight.

What is total wine? I'm not familiar with it. The places that sell craft beer do the same but generally I don't find sours in the selections. Probably because as you said a lot are in 750ml bottles. A friend of mine despises them and says they taste too much like wine. I see what he is talking about but I just find them delicious.

I haven't had much experience with sours, I'm more of an IPA guy. I had Sour Monkey for the first time at Victory Brewing a few months ago and developed quite an affection for it. Personally my taste buds think it's great but I don't have much to compare it to.....As an added bonus it packs quite a punch. I think it's about 10% abv.

Sold. I bought a 4 pack once of a sour and didn't check it was 3% abv!!! I felt like such an idiot. :bag:

Separately I would be remiss to not at least mention Fat Tire by New Belgium. It is my favorite "regular" beer by far. It is an Amber Ale. I'm not a hops guy at all so IPAs and others are generally not highly rated by me. If you haven't tried it find it. You'll be glad you did.

Edited by section122

Victory is a 12. I'm gonna pick some up on the way home tonight.

What is total wine? I'm not familiar with it. The places that sell craft beer do the same but generally I don't find sours in the selections. Probably because as you said a lot are in 750ml bottles. A friend of mine despises them and says they taste too much like wine. I see what he is talking about but I just find them delicious.

Sold. I bought a 4 pack once of a sour and didn't check it was 3% abv!!! I felt like such an idiot. :bag:

Separately I would be remiss to not at least mention Fat Tire by New Belgium. It is my favorite "regular" beer by far. It is an Amber Ale. I'm not a hops guy at all so IPAs and others are generally not highly rated by me. If you haven't tried it find it. You'll be glad you did.

I was going to buy a case of Sour Monkey today, but it was $48 and I just found out I have to shell out $1500 for a new breaker box, so I got a case of Perpetual instead. One of my favorite beers I drink fairly regularly.

perpetual21.jpg?t=1461605986565

So you guys like the high ABV, and I am on the eternal quest to find beer I love that is low ABV.

My favorite Saison might just be Tank 7 by Boulevard, but at 8.5% I tend to not drink it as much as a local Saison that is 6.0%

BTW, this beer is generally avialble nationwide..highly recommend.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/50570/

So you guys like the high ABV, and I am on the eternal quest to find beer I love that is low ABV.

My favorite Saison might just be Tank 7 by Boulevard, but at 8.5% I tend to not drink it as much as a local Saison that is 6.0%

I'll look at the store for what the low abv sour was and let you know.

Founders All Day IPA is a very good session IPA at 4.7 ABV. One of my go-to beers for summer parties in the back yard. I can put back 8-10 of them and not be trashed.

I tried a couple stouts tonight: C.R.E.A.M donut infused cappuccino milk stout and fat Charley's raspberry chocolate stout. The first really wasn't my style, but others were raving so I figured why not. The second was decent, nothing special.

I had just eaten dinner and for whatever reason, I lean towards these type of beers after eating.

I tried a couple stouts tonight: C.R.E.A.M donut infused cappuccino milk stout and fat Charley's raspberry chocolate stout. The first really wasn't my style, but others were raving so I figured why not. The second was decent, nothing special.

I had just eaten dinner and for whatever reason, I lean towards these type of beers after eating.

Because it's similar to drinking coffee after dinner, with a little extra punch.

Long night........

Mad chef F-18

Mad chef hoppy Easter

Victory sour monkey

Troegs perpetual

Sixpoint Resin

Lexicon grapefruit

......soccer at 9 am tomorrow. No rest for the weary.

Edited by RaoulDuke79