Washington Fires GM Scot McCloughan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That org is so toxic for folks' careers. They just did McCloughan dirty.

That's what it sounds like. I hope they ran him out of town and hes not actually self-destructing. If the rumors are true, and booze was the convenient excuse to dump McCloughlan than he should land with another team in short order.

I must admit that I am somewhat skeptical that Scotty has got alcoholism under control now that he's cracked and down and switched to drinking beer only. I don't think that's how those addiction things work.

Guest NeckBeard

Sounds about right. For all of the people who think that the Bills are the worst, most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL, I admit as Exhibit A: the Redskins.

No wonder Cousins was chafed. That team sold the farm to get RGIII (epic fail) only to find a pretty good QB in Cousins a few years later on. Then they won't give him a long-term deal, AND fire the GM, all the while disparaging the GM for having a drinking problem. Nice. Real nice. I can't even pat my head on that franchise to pretend that I feel sorry for them.

Sounds about right. For all of the people who think that the Bills are the worst, most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL, I admit as Exhibit A: the Redskins.

No wonder Cousins was chafed. That team sold the farm to get RGIII (epic fail) only to find a pretty good QB in Cousins a few years later on. Then they won't give him a long-term deal, AND fire the GM, all the while disparaging the GM for having a drinking problem. Nice. Real nice. I can't even pat my head on that franchise to pretend that I feel sorry for them.

Cousins is acting like a spoiled brat and a rejected teenager. What he doesn't understand is this is a business. The irony is that he is complaining that the Skins didn't demonstrate their loyalty to him by signing him to a long term deal. The problem with that juvenile thinking is that because the Skins miscalculated and delayed signing him the cost for him is now significantly higher. If he would have signed a long term deal last year it would have averaged out to $18 M a year, Osweiller money. Because the Skins waited he could end up signing a deal that is closer to $25 M a year.

Cousins has the leverage and the organization, because of its hesitancy, has less of it. He is pouting now because the organization didn't show him the respect that he believes he is entitled to. Give me a freaking break! He's in a stronger negotiating position but because the organization acted within its rights and within the system this little baby wants out because his feelings got hurt. How ridiculous can you get!

That org is so toxic for folks' careers. They just did McCloughan dirty.

McCloughan got fired from Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired form Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired from Washington for drinking problems. The organization handled this case clumsily and one can argue with a lack of class. But the reality is that McCoughan is not a victim here. He is an alcoholic who hasn't accepted the reality that he is an alcoholic. He created the predicament for himself and the organization. Based on his history the outcome was inevitable because he was never able to deal with the demons associated with his addiction. It's a sad situation.

Guest NeckBeard

Cousins is acting like a spoiled brat and a rejected teenager. What he doesn't understand is this is a business. The irony is that he is complaining that the Skins didn't demonstrate their loyalty to him by signing him to a long term deal. The problem with that juvenile thinking is that because the Skins miscalculated and delayed signing him the cost for him is now significantly higher. If he would have signed a long term deal last year it would have averaged out to $18 M a year, Osweiller money. Because the Skins waited he could end up signing a deal that is closer to $25 M a year.

Cousins has the leverage and the organization, because of its hesitancy, has less of it. He is pouting now because the organization didn't show him the respect that he believes he is entitled to. Give me a freaking break! He's in a stronger negotiating position but because the organization acted within its rights and within the system this little baby wants out because his feelings got hurt. How ridiculous can you get!

What I was saying is that the Redskins have a way of not being able to evaluate and/or to retain talent for the long term. On top of that they are trying to have their cake and eat it too by not extending Cousins. That team has no other proven options at the position, Cousins' immaturity or not.

Cousins was an afterthought when they drafted RGIII. Then RGIII sucked his way out of a job. Then Cousins looked pretty bad until he didn't. Then they fire the GM. Oy.

McCloughan got fired from Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired form Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired from Washington for drinking problems. The organization handled this case clumsily and one can argue with a lack of class. But the reality is that McCoughan is not a victim here. He is an alcoholic who hasn't accepted the reality that he is an alcoholic. He created the predicament for himself and the organization. Based on his history the outcome was inevitable because he was never able to deal with the demons associated with his addiction. It's a sad situation.

Definitely maybe, but why air dirty laundry? I would expect that any organization of professionals would not.

@AdamSchefter

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washingtons general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

Wtf is going on.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Cleveland and Oakland chased him hard years ago, but he was too comfortable in his role in TV.

I sincerely doubt he'd take the job, but as I've said for years: the man understands the process as well as anyone, and has passed up GM jobs in the past.

I disagree. I think Scot got forced out by Bruce Allen and Snyder.

@AdamSchefter

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washingtons general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

Wtf is going on.

I love this actually, I wish more analysts got to play NFL GM for a couple seasons. See what the job is like when you're not behind a broadcast booth.

Guest NeckBeard

A team with a drunk at GM has had more success than the bills the last two years....

I am going to take this quote with me for the rest of my living years.