Washington Fires GM Scot McCloughan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

If the reports of him still having a huge drinking problem are bs, the Bills should seriously consider hiring him. One of the most respected talent evaluators in the NFL.

well, the reports of his drinking issues have been pretty well confirmed. whether he has completely fallen off the wagon i suppose isnt certain -- but given his continued push to use moderation instead of abstaining even though its cost him hugely and repeatedly, it would be hard to say he would be a reliable option until he decides to actually quit.

Edited by NoSaint

If the reports of him still having a huge drinking problem are bs, the Bills should seriously consider hiring him. One of the most respected talent evaluators in the NFL.

I live in the MD/DC area and followed the story. The story line has swung back and forth. Is the drinking story line true or not? I'm not sure. One aspect of the story that has become evident and is the real source of the conflict is that the nominal GM, Bruce Allen, and the actual personnel person, McCloughan , had boundary and authority issues between them. It is Allen who restricted McCloughan's duties and basically forced him out.

It sometimes happens in the work world when two people can't carve out an acceptable working relationship and share the same perception of what their duties and authorities are then not only are you going to have conflict but you are going to have escalating conflict. If an acceptable agreement can't be worked out between the parties then one has to go.

well, the reports of his drinking issues have been pretty well confirmed.

whether he has completely fallen off the wagon i suppose isnt certain -- but given his continued push to use moderation instead of abstaining even though its cost him hugely and repeatedly, it would be hard to say he would be a reliable option until he decides to actual

pass drinking issues have been confirmed, but nothing since he arrived in Washington has been confirmed to be an issue. The guy has a great talent, a true football talent evaluator. Buffalo needs to start winning. Allen firing him is a joke. Allen use to be an agent, he didn't come up through the ranks of scouting.Only inner NFL circles no the truth about McCloughan. Could really help this team

He does have drinking issues, but supposedly people (not the "brain trust" of the Washington Indigenous People, but everyone else, supposedly) is that he hasn't hurt his job performance.

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be in the private jet right now. This guy is genuinely good.

You can believe what you want. If you can't figure out what happened here then so be it.

If you can figure out what happened ... you're using your imagination and disregarding the lack of facts. Confirmation bias.

We simply don't know if there was an incident or pattern that caused this or whether it was the result of a power struggle and a guy who needed a justification to do what he wanted to do.

Edited by Thurman#1

He does have drinking issues, but supposedly people (not the "brain trust" of the Washington Indigenous People, but everyone else, supposedly) is that he hasn't hurt his job performance.

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be in the private jet right now. This guy is genuinely good.

We all have our faults, as long as he is doing his job and not hurting anyone I mean who really cares. The bills should be doing everything they can to win, and this guy is a proven winner.

More people will band around together and wish well for this guy who has nothing to do with the Bills. On the other hand, the guy on our team who's entire family passed away/got murdered gets caught with weed and we want to burn down his house...Wonder why?

Also, can someone fill me in on why this guy is such a great GM? Their first round pick in 2016 is a monster bust so far and he did a great job picking up a guard at #5 the year before. Whoopty damn doo.

Don't tell me he did a great job with Seattle because he wasn't GM there. Seattle is John Schneider's baby and he was just on the staff.

Edited by Elite Poster

McCloughan got fired from Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired form Seattle for drinking problems. McCloughan got fired from Washington for drinking problems. The organization handled this case clumsily and one can argue with a lack of class. But the reality is that McCoughan is not a victim here. He is an alcoholic who hasn't accepted the reality that he is an alcoholic. He created the predicament for himself and the organization. Based on his history the outcome was inevitable because he was never able to deal with the demons associated with his addiction. It's a sad situation.

You ought to call up the Seahawks and tell them that they fired him. They're under the impression that he quit. Unexpectedly.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation/

The 49ers pushed him out, though it was reported as stepping down, but there are no similar reports from his tenure in Seattle.

As for what happened in D.C., there's a lot of unsureness and two totally different stories:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-player-reignites-war-of-words-between-washington-and-fired-gm-scot-mccloughan-001059989.html

We all have our faults, as long as he is doing his job and not hurting anyone I mean who really cares. The bills should be doing everything they can to win, and this guy is a proven winner.

Agreed. He knows how to build teams.

Yeah, Pryor knows that Cousins will get him the ball. Good way to make money for himself.

Until Cousins leaves after the coming season. He absolutely does not want to play in DC and turned down a five or six year deal for big money.

You ought to call up the Seahawks and tell them that they fired him. They're under the impression that he quit. Unexpectedly.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation/

The 49ers pushed him out, though it was reported as stepping down, but there are no similar reports from his tenure in Seattle.

As for what happened in D.C., there's a lot of unsureness and two totally different stories:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-player-reignites-war-of-words-between-washington-and-fired-gm-scot-mccloughan-001059989.html

Agreed. He knows how to build teams.

McCloughan has been an alcoholic for 20 years. He told the Redskins that and also said he still drank on occasion but could handle it. The Dumbskins still hired him. It's just another episode in the Redskins/Dan Snyder soap opera. The book on Snyder's ownership of the team will be lengthy, comical, and at the same time sad. "Hail to the Redskins" has become "Bail on the Redskins."

More people will band around together and wish well for this guy who has nothing to do with the Bills. On the other hand, the guy on our team who's entire family passed away/got murdered gets caught with weed and we want to burn down his house...Wonder why?

Also, can someone fill me in on why this guy is such a great GM? Their first round pick in 2016 is a monster bust so far and he did a great job picking up a guard at #5 the year before. Whoopty damn doo.

Don't tell me he did a great job with Seattle because he wasn't GM there. Seattle is John Schneider's baby and he was just on the staff.

were bilichick, or coughlan, just some nobodies when they worked under Parcells? Were those Giant teams all Parcells? those 2 got their opportunities to be the boss and have 7 super bowls between them. Point is he is one of the most respected talent evaluators in the NFL, he just needs his chance to have control of a team to do his thing.