Tank You Very Much

Gugny

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion:

All restructuring Taylor's deal did was to get some season ticket sales in.

They brought in a coach who was not on anyone's radar. Brought back a QB who has proven that he's in the bottom 3rd of the league. Let Bob Woods, Goodwin and Gilmore go.

This is a tank season. It's clear.

I'm not upset by it, although I'm not happy with it.

Averaging 7 wins/season over the last 17 years hasn't worked. They can't do any better with this roster.

So why the hell not tank? It makes perfect sense.

This year, I'll be rooting for the Bills as spoilers beginning week 1. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

If they wanted to tank this year, they don't even know how to do that right. Cousins asking for a trade right now.....THAT is what I would have thrown everything at to make happen.....that or tank with Cardale

McCoy would want out if they were "tanking".

Yup, and so would Kyle Williams. If they really wanted to tank, they'd trade McCoy and release Kyle.

March is too early to declare that the season is over.

I don't agree.

They would not have resigned Taylor if they were going to tank it. Instead they would have released him, drafted a QB, and made the draft pick the starter.

What they are doing now is trying to do just the opposite.

They are being very meticulous about who they cut and who they restructure. Piece by piece they are rebuilding the team and actually improving it by adding solid, proven vet players at a reasonable cost. No superstars mind you, but certainly capable players.

So far the Bills have:

1. Re-signed QB Taylor - Best possible move given what is currently available (given the fact that signing Romo is a pipe dream).

2. Signed FB DiMarco - Pro Bowl player, excellent blocker, good receiver, very good ST player. He will be like having a second or third TE. You need to have guys who can do the dirty work.

3. Signed RB/FB M. Tolbert - At 250 lbs I suspect he will be the short yardage and goal line RB. He's pretty tough to stop in short yardage situations.

4. Signed OG/OT Ducasse - He provides versatility for the O-line at OG and OT.

5. Signed K Hauschka - Proven, vet kicker who is more reliable than Carpenter AND better on kickoffs as well.

Looking to add TE J. Cook, which would really add some versatility to the offense. Cook and Clay would be a nice pairing at TE.

Looking to keep DE/OLB A. Alexander, who had a Pro Bowl year last year.

Bills have lost Gilmore, Woods, Carpenter, Z. Brown, A. Williams. Gilmore is not worth $14M+ per year. Woods is not worth the big money either. Carpenter was terrible last year. Losing Z. Brown is a big loss, but the Bills will get LB R. Ragland back and seek to fill Brown's shoes with a low cost vet and/or via the draft. A. Williams, God love him, has become very fragile and it's time to move on from him.

So far, I think all of these moves and keeping guys like K. Williams seems to indicate that the Bills are trying to be as competitive as they can be, which is "anti-tank".

My opinion:

All restructuring Taylor's deal did was to get some season ticket sales in.

They brought in a coach who was not on anyone's radar. Brought back a QB who has proven that he's in the bottom 3rd of the league. Let Bob Woods, Goodwin and Gilmore go.

This is a tank season. It's clear.

I'm not upset by it, although I'm not happy with it.

Averaging 7 wins/season over the last 17 years hasn't worked. They can't do any better with this roster.

So why the hell not tank? It makes perfect sense.

This year, I'll be rooting for the Bills as spoilers beginning week 1. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Why tank? Averaging 7 wins a season over the last 17 years hasn't worked because we have not found a franchise QB, and because we have had a lot of coaching turnover (and play in Brady's division...let's be honest about that part).

I'm not sure how moving from #11 to a top three pick makes us better in the draft enough to offset the sucking and missing the chance of building winners and sneaking in to the playoffs with a one or two game improvement. There are plenty of top three QB busts, and plenty of franchise QBs found outside the top 3.

If you really need a guy at the top of the 2018 draft, win anyway (even if 8-8 as you are trying to get to 10-6), and trade up. You give up less value to get there than you do by breeding suckitude.

And don't ever make the fallacy of past performance being predictor of future in sports. Remember when the Patriots and Broncos were just super bowl losers without any rings? And I think the Cubs, Red Sox, and White Sox all also had "it will never happen" streaks a lot longer than ours. We need our ownership, front office, and coaching staff to commit to winning and doing the things to build a winning franchise, and a 2003 loss to the Steelers backups or a Scott Norwood kick don't have anything to do with that. Taylor was one play from beating the Seahawks in Seattle. Our team needs to try to get better, not worse.

When has tanking a season ever helped a major professional sports team become a perennial winner?

Tanking may moderately improve draft position for the Bills, and what does that get us? The same FO guys who have zero ability to draft a QB get to roll the dice on a QB that there's no guarantee at all will turn into a franchise QB no matter how good a college player he is.

And what does tanking cost the Bills? Current stars want to leave. Top talent around the league don't want to come to Buffalo as free agents. Quality assistant coaches flee to serious franchises. Fans endure another season of failure and lose even more interest in the team.

Tanking is simply a terrible idea where the disadvantages far outweigh the small and unpredictable benefits.

It is a rebuild year. Should of just went with Cardale and been honest with the fans.

So now Jones is on the same level as TT? The defense was the problem last season. Only in your mind is this a rebuild. TT, McCoy and KW being here prove that.

We are not going anywhere this year. It doesn't matter who is the better QB right now.

With a better defense and coaching, they could make a WC with TT. It sure does matter. The trolling continues from this poster.

Sorry, I don't see a tank, or a rebuild

We've only lost 5/24 starters, that's maybe 1-2 more than any typical year

Plus we upgraded at K

Plus we will have 2 very high draft picks joining our D this year that did not start last year

And we upgraded at FB

Sure, now we have to use draft picks to replace the starters lost, S, CB, OLB, OLB, and WR2, and WR3

And we are still missing a quality starting RT, a nickel CB, and WR #4, and depth

But its only day one of FA

Still lots of time to potentially sign a WR3, a RT, and an OLB

As long as it doesn't affect cashing in on a 2018 3rd and 4th rounder we should get for losing Zach, Woods, & Gilmore

That would be a travesty

That's not saying the 2017 edition of our Bills is a playoff team

Just saying it's not a tank or a rebuild either but just normal business of year to year roster changes

jc