Gilmore to be...a patriot

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget a discount, he stopped even trying last season.

I think Gilmore had his moments, but I never thought he was great. When ever he made play, I found myself holding my breath waiting for a flag.

We'll see if he starts to "phone it in" for Belicheat as well.

JMO

Belichick won't allow that. that's the difference when playing with competent coaches. they install discipline, fundamentals, and get the best out of their players. Belichick knows Gilmore's worth, and likely attributes his lack of effort to the horrid child coach he had. That very same coach that was obsessed with him while in NY, and Buffalo.

it's like people didn't see the blatant drop off in the team's moral, body language, and effort when Rex and his staff came to town. Environment plays a huge wrong on the human psyche, professional or not.

Belichick won't allow that. that's the difference when playing with competent coaches. they install discipline, fundamentals, and get the best out of their players. Belichick knows Gilmore's worth, and likely attributes his lack of effort to the horrid child coach he had. That very same coach that was obsessed with him while in NY, and Buffalo.

it's like people didn't see the blatant drop off in the team's moral, body language, and effort when Rex and his staff came to town. Environment plays a huge wrong on the human psyche, professional or not.

OR...with $40 M guaranteed, Gilmore packs it in . Not saying Gilmore will do that, just that if he wants to, nothing BB can do bout that guarantee.

BTW, i like Gilmore, thought he was a very good player and would have loved to keep him.

OR...with $40 M guaranteed, Gilmore packs it in . Not saying Gilmore will do that, just that if he wants to, nothing BB can do bout that guarantee.

BTW, i like Gilmore, thought he was a very good player and would have loved to keep him.

Unlikely in my opinion. With his money guaranteed he doesn't have to worry about that any more so he can play hard trying to get a ring. If he gets hurt now, he still gets his money.

that's coaching !!

in NE, players literally take tests during weak to verify they know the play calls and their responsibilities.....not like that backup bills QB in the past who came in a game, looked lost, then later admitted he didn't know playbook.

Agreed. Also, if you are a player with say motivational problems. But have a chance to play for a divisional

title then playoffs. Maybe they are a bit more motivated. IMO toke Dareus cameback from his suspension in less than stellar physical shape. Some NFL coaches would have handled that a bit differently. Same with old #94 taking plays off for half the season. With zero consequences from his HC. Yea, that's coaching.

Last time I checked the Pats played good defense while Rex's D was being steam rolled by Fitzy. BB and Rex in the same sentence is a joke.

I hope he doesn't hurt his foot on Gilmore's face. I just laugh when people have these types of fantasies. We always crave revenge against former players and the hated Pats. The problem is that during the last 17 years we are always the ones getting our faces stomped on. It's probably more likely that Gilmore has a pick six, and makes a tackle that injuries a key player.

I could see that

Thats the spirit

That's the truth

that's coaching !!

in NE, players literally take tests during weak to verify they know the play calls and their responsibilities.....not like that backup bills QB in the past who came in a game, looked lost, then later admitted he didn't know playbook.

Belichick runs that team on a whole different level....2 quick examples.....Dion Lewis, against Houston, was the 1st ever player to score TDs in a playoff game by rushing, catching and returning kicks ( 3 TDs ). He also fumble in that game...instead of patting him in the back for his TDs, BB had him carry a football all week long at the facility....meeting, locker room, hallways...and he instructed the other guys to try to take it away from him.....the other example that struck me was the Monday after the Superbowl...BB mentioned that his team was 5 weeks behind most other team on the 2017 season....the guy just freaking won the SB and less than 24 hours later, he's moved on to the next one....

That is the kind of intensity we need to compete with those guys....and of course, Brady to retire....

Yeah absolutely, I'm not hating on him for going to NE. I just simply don't care either way. We weren't going to the playoffs because we do or don't have Stephon Gilmore. I just think that when you're a fan of a losing franchise like we are then we get so caught up with certain players. Honestly I thought it was a bigger deal when Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements left. They were a lot better CB's IMO. Gilmore is good we'll miss him but he had an opportunity to stay in Buffalo he wasn't forced out. Good luck to him, he'll be missed but we can't afford to pay a CB $14mil a year right now. That's just what it is.

Been through this enough to where I'm always ok with the player leaving for more $. There is no "loyalty" in the nfl.

I hope I wind up being wrong , but I think Gilmore is going to be a better player in NE for 3 important reasons that Buffalo doesn't have.

1. better coaching, starting with BB

2. he'll have better talent around him on the field, that always helps.

3. the Patriots come into each season expecting to get to, and win the superbowl!

Within the first 5 minutes of the first OTA this spring let alone during training camp, he'll know he's no longer in Kansas with toto.

Throughout his career he's been with a franchise that hopes to get above 500% and has never made it but one time.

The 3 points above are huge motivators for any athlete.

The only drawback I see for him is that he's a bit fragil and may miss some games each season.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Good Take!

Well, that didn't really work out for the Panthers

i think he was more referring to the type of CB needed for this D can be found without paying top 3 CB money. Not necessarily a comment specifically toward how the Panthers chose to replace Norman and the result (I think it was a rookie, Bradberry). He did start to play well as the year went on though. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think he was more referring to the type of CB needed for this D can be found without paying top 3 CB money. Not necessarily a comment specifically toward how the Panthers chose to replace Norman and the result (I think it was a rookie, Bradberry). He did start to play well as the year went on though.

Norman was a better CB and especially better zone CB than Gilly too. We'll feel his loss but it won't be as significant as losing Norman, IMO.

ESPN put out the most underrated and overrated signings so far, and Gilmore made the list (Overrated)

5. Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England Patriots

Contract: Five years, $65 million with $40 million guaranteed

The Patriots have effectively chosen Gilmore over Malcolm Butler, a restricted free agent who is agitating for a move away from New England after seeing Gilmore get big money from his team. But did the Patriots make the right decision? Butler (88.6) dramatically out-graded Gilmore (73.2) in 2016 and made PFF's All-Pro team, thanks in part to notching four picks and 12 pass breakups and consistently making plays in coverage. Gilmore struggled through another lackluster season in Buffalo, and though he might have an impressive skill set, he has never lived up to his potential. It seems strange that the Patriots would go out of their way to hand Gilmore huge money and not Butler.