Who the Bills will pick at 10

What position do the bills select with their 1st round pick?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What position do the bills select with their 1st round pick?

2. 2. Offense or defense in 1st

31 votes for secondary. 5 votes for a LB and 1 for a DE. Pass rush takes a back seat to the secondary?

It's almost as if we hate ourselves. :(

We lost 3 starters in the secondary and have all of our front 7 back with the possible exception of ZB. It's not that complicated Bill. We know that you hate DBs but good teams have good DBs at the moment. Look at New England's secondary now, Atlanta's, Seattle, Denver, etc... those teams have made big investments in terms of picks and money in the secondary. This team has some big holes in the secondary and there are great players to fill in. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, there is more than one round in the draft. Heck, one of the best 43 DES in the NFL, Vernon was a third round pick. If your scouts do their job, we could find someone to help the front in a later round.

Please explain to me why the above would not apply to the secondary.

Landon Collins was an ok player for a second round pick, no?

We lost 3 starters in the secondary and have all of our front 7 back with the possible exception of ZB. It's not that complicated Bill. We know that you hate DBs but good teams have good DBs at the moment. Look at New England's secondary now, Atlanta's, Seattle, Denver, etc... those teams have made big investments in terms of picks and money in the secondary. This team has some big holes in the secondary and there are great players to fill in.

It seems like a very deep draft for the secondary. There looks to be no rush. Whaley is an impatient amateur; I hope he doesn't reach in this draft or give away the store once again.

It seems like a very deep draft for the secondary. There looks to be no rush. Whaley is an impatient amateur; I hope he doesn't reach in this draft or give away the store once again.

It is definitely a deep draft for the secondary, DL, RB and TE. It's thin at WR and OL. I am fine waiting until the 2nd for a DB but it is a much bigger need than DL at the moment. That is why the board has voted that way.

We lost 3 starters in the secondary and have all of our front 7 back with the possible exception of ZB. It's not that complicated Bill. We know that you hate DBs but good teams have good DBs at the moment. Look at New England's secondary now, Atlanta's, Seattle, Denver, etc... those teams have made big investments in terms of picks and money in the secondary. This team has some big holes in the secondary and there are great players to fill in.

All the teams you mentioned except for Denver secured their qb position. Last year, Denver maneuvered back into the first round to draft Lynch, a qb. The Bills have not had a franchise qb for more than twenty years. The Bills are in a good position to select a very good qb prospect in this draft. Also by having an adequate bridge qb on the roster it will allow time for development.

Dithering in pursuit of a franchise qb is a strategy this organization has maintained for a long time. Where has it gotten us? Taking a patch work mentality to building a roster is a strategy that has allowed us to continue to be irrelevant.

When are the Bills going to learn? The Bills drafted both Clement and Gilmore in the first round. Gilmore was taken with a very high first round pick. When their contracts came up the organization allowed them to walk because of cost. So drafting to replace what you had is not a strategy to move forward---it is a strategy to maintain the status quo.

Once you have secured your franchise qb you will have more flexibility in how the draft is approached. Until you do that you are just spinning your wheels stuck in the muck of mediocrity.

When are you going to learn that the Jauron/Levy approach to football is not only archaic but excruciatingly boring?

All the teams you mentioned except for Denver secured their qb position. Last year, Denver maneuvered back into the first round to draft Lynch, a qb. The Bills have not had a franchise qb for more than twenty years. The Bills are in a good position to select a very good qb prospect in this draft. Also by having an adequate bridge qb on the roster it will allow time for development.

Dithering in pursuit of a franchise qb is a strategy this organization has maintained for a long time. Where has it gotten us? Taking a patch work mentality to building a roster is a strategy that has allowed us to continue to be irrelevant.

When are the Bills going to learn? The Bills drafted both Clement and Gilmore in the first round. Gilmore was taken with a very high first round pick. When their contracts came up the organization allowed them to walk because of cost. So drafting to replace what you had is not a strategy to move forward---it is a strategy to maintain the status quo.

Once you have secured your franchise qb you will have more flexibility in how the draft is approached. Until you do that you are just spinning your wheels stuck in the muck of mediocrity.

When are you going to learn that the Jauron/Levy approach to football is not only archaic but excruciatingly boring?

That is a "drop the mike" comment if I ever read one.

Drafting an "eilte" DB will only get you four to five years of that player's service until another team is willing to break the bank and he's gone because he wants to get paid and play with a team that has a real QB and chance to win a Superbowl. A lot of fans are not seeing the big picture.

Just ignore the experts and draft Mahomes at #10 please. These experts are so completely wrong so many times on college QBs prospects in the pro game.

Edited by 1billsfan

Let's not forget McKelvin and Whitner. Did THEY result in playoff wins?

And John, this losing philosophy goes back decades. When Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, and Andre were still good but growing older, the Bills were not drafting bpas to step in. They were drafting first round defensive backs.

For a while it looked like the common denominator was Levy, but it continued after he left. That said, Levy/Jauron took quite the toll on this club. We really have still not recovered.

I suspect that I think more of Tyrod than you do. Still, imo the Bills should trade down AND grab a qb. If thy really like one in particular I hope they stand pat and grab him. If they are sold on TT, how about a blocker, pass rusher or wide receiver?

Jmo.

It does apply to the secondary. Especially in a very deep DB class. However, there may be more worthy DBS to take in the first oppose to DL.

If Solomon Thomas or Allen fall than sure. However, I wouldn't think twice taking Adams, Hooker, Lattimore, etc... over the DL talent. If sidney jones didn't hurt him self during his pro day he'd be in there too.

I just don't think Taco or Barnett are above the secondary options in the first.

Knowing Whaley, the pick is Watson if he's there. Hopefully Corey Davis if Watson is gone. I can see Whaley liking Mike Williams' size over the more polished guy (Davis), which would be a mistake.

What about whaley says Watson is the pick? If anything Kizer would be more of the mold whaley looks for.

I highly doubt at this point whaley really even makes that call.

If whaley was running the show, better believe Tyrod isn't brought back. Granted the restructure absolutely lends it self to taking a QB, McDermott wanted Tyrod back for a chance to win now.

Therefore, I can't see using a top ten pick on a player who may not even contribute for two years being a play for McDermott in that win now mode.

I've never been more convinced we'll be picking Corey Davis @ 10. This is the right pick.

I know they said he would be healthy when time comes, but after dealing with all this nonsense with Sammy's foot... Yes, Davis is an ankle, but I think Buffalo will look at Williams before they would Davis at this point.

I prefer Davis but

Right now based on need, and probably value, WR. CB is also up there. Darkhorse could be TE Howard or a QB

It would not shock me if Howard was the pick. Very safe pick, the kid would instantly upgrade the passing game. It would be interesting to see if Howard was above Davis and Williams on the Bills board. He is essentially a WR with his skill set.

Plus we know Whaley likes taking guys from successful programs in round 1.

It has to be WR. The Bills have no one but Sammy at WR and if he goes down again it will be another year of guys like Philly Brown and Dez Lewis starting at WR. We absolutely cannot risk that. Tyrod needs good targets to elevate his game. I would be all for OJ Howard if he is there as well. He would make an immediate impact in both the run and pass game. We need an impact player on offense who can start day 1