Government is watching you through your TV

Then it's important to remember that we're only talking about smart televisions, not regular flat screen TVs. If they have such capability, you should still be able to defeat them by turning off the TV at the power strip or by simply unplugging the power cable from the wall.

It takes a special kind of idiot to buy a television, bring it home, unbox it, decorate a room around it and then unplug it in case someone is looking in on him.

How about simply not buying it in the first place. :wallbash::wallbash:

Personally, I don't think this stuff is happening. Why? Because if it were, there would be a crisis for bed space in the loony bin for all of the spooks that accidentally tuned in to Greggy while he was watching late night Cinemax. Either that or emergency rooms would be filled with "spies with bleached eyes".

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company I work for use our laptops to watch us, but to what extent they do so I don't know. I'm not sure how effective it is, but I have several pieces of electrical tape placed over my microphone ports and camera.

Big phone is watching me.... :ph34r:

I just refuse to use company-provided equipment.

Probably why they let me go...can't spy on me.

From the WikiLeaks link:

In 'Fake-Off' mode the TV operates as a bug, recording conversations in the room and sending them over the Internet to a covert CIA server.

A speaker is a coil of wire inside of a magnet, a dynamic microphone is also a coil of wire inside a magnet. You can use a speaker as a microphone fairly easily. Talkback speakers are one example of a speaker serving both functions. OTOH, It is not possible to turn a LCD display into a camera. Unless you have a camera connected (or one built in) they can't watch you.

Unless the screen is actually one big camera, shouldn't be too hard to stop with nothing other than a small piece of electrical tape.

??

My wife has a friend who's done that with the camera on her phone. Weirdos. All that would do would stop me from taking pics of the inside of my shirt pocket. I guess then I'd get pictures of duct tape.

Edited by Chef Jim

From the WikiLeaks link:

A speaker is a coil of wire inside of a magnet, a dynamic microphone is also a coil of wire inside a magnet. You can use a speaker as a microphone fairly easily. Talkback speakers are one example of a speaker serving both functions. OTOH, It is not possible to turn a LCD display into a camera. Unless you have a camera connected (or one built in) they can't watch you.

Now sound recording, a bit easy to hide.

This has been known for a few years. I won't say where I heard it because that never goes over well. The same spying can be done by your cell phone.

But if you cover the lens?

My wife has a friend who's done that with the camera on her phone. Weirdos. All that would do would stop me from taking pics of the inside of my shirt pocket. I guess then I'd get pictures of duct tape.

LoL!

Then it's important to remember that we're only talking about smart televisions, not regular flat screen TVs. If they have such capability, you should still be able to defeat them by turning off the TV at the power strip or by simply unplugging the power cable from the wall.

Yes, sorry. I thought you were talking about smart TVs in the post I responded to.

Personally, I don't think this stuff is happening. Why? Because if it were, there would be a crisis for bed space in the loony bin for all of the spooks that accidentally tuned in to Greggy while he was watching late night Cinemax. Either that or emergency rooms would be filled with "spies with bleached eyes".

:o

:lol:

I just refuse to use company-provided equipment.

Probably why they let me go...can't spy on me.

Oh, I'm tracked via GPS whenever driving a company vehicle, all my internet traffic is monitored, and who knows what else. But as soon as I'm off the job and gone, they're blind to what I'm doing. As long as I don't start wrecking phones (unless they're serviced by a different carrier), the phone cops won't come after me.

"Candy Everybody Wants"

~10,000 Maniacs

"If lust and hate is the candy

if blood and love tastes so sweet

then we give 'em what they want

Hey, hey, give 'em what they want

So their eyes are growing hazy 'cause they want to turn it on

so their minds are soft and lazy

Well, hey, give 'em what they want

If lust and hate is the candy

if blood and love tastes so sweet

then we give 'em what they want