Government is watching you through your TV

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some smart TVs have Skype capability, so that means it has a microphone and a camera, like tablets, laptops, and smartphones do. If you're online with your TV, then others have back door access capability. As long as you turn your device off there is no way - as far as I know - that anyone can either access your devices or use them to spy on you.

Some smart TVs have Skype capability, so that means it has a microphone and a camera, like tablets, laptops, and smartphones do. If you're online with your TV, then others have back door access capability. As long as you turn your device off there is no way - as far as I know - that anyone can either access your devices or use them to spy on you.

The Wikileaks drops talks about programs that make the TV appear to be off but it's actually on (or its mic and camera at least) -- and they can turn the device on or off at their leisure.

The Wikileaks drops talks about programs that make the TV appear to be off but it's actually on (or its mic and camera at least) -- and they can turn the device on or off at their leisure.

Then it's important to remember that we're only talking about smart televisions, not regular flat screen TVs. If they have such capability, you should still be able to defeat them by turning off the TV at the power strip or by simply unplugging the power cable from the wall.

I think it was the Philadelphia school system that got caught doing this years ago with laptops they gave to students.

You have to believe that, if it's within the ability of a city that once bombed itself, the NSA can probably manage it.

Then it's important to remember that we're only talking about smart televisions, not regular flat screen TVs. If they have such capability, you should still be able to defeat them by turning off the TV at the power strip or by simply unplugging the power cable from the wall.

Or just park a big bag of ammonium nitrate and a barrel of fuel oil in front of it. You'll find out pretty quickly if you're being watched.

I think it was the Philadelphia school system that got caught doing this years ago with laptops they gave to students.

You have to believe that, if it's within the ability of a city that once bombed itself, the NSA can probably manage it.

The company I work for use our laptops to watch us, but to what extent they do so I don't know. I'm not sure how effective it is, but I have several pieces of electrical tape placed over my microphone ports and camera.

Big phone is watching me.... :ph34r: