Alexander is fools gold

What you're failing to touch on is our resources. Letting a CB go via free agency and spending a first rd pick to replace him is getting us nowhere, is basically what you're saying, right? What's not being said is that we are going to use the 13-15 million we would've spent on Gilmore on the positions we would've spent our draft picks on. Only instead of getting one player for 13-25 million, we will have 2-3 players. It's a numbers game. And right now we have MANY free agents that either started or played significant snaps. How do we replace them if we use over half of our cap room on 1 player? We can't. We'd have the worst depth in the league. The league in which injuries are the norm and depth is necessary. While I would like to keep Gilmore, the numbers game just doesn't match up. No matter how you spin it, there's no way we can pay Gilmore what he wants and fill out the roster with solid players, unless we hit on all of our draft picks and minimum salary free agents. The likelihood of that happening is close to zero imo. We can't put ourselves in a position where we have little to no cap room in a year or 2, just like we are this year.

plus we should get a 3rd round comp pick for him next year too

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're failing to touch on is our resources. Letting a CB go via free agency and spending a first rd pick to replace him is getting us nowhere, is basically what you're saying, right? What's not being said is that we are going to use the 13-15 million we would've spent on Gilmore on the positions we would've spent our draft picks on. Only instead of getting one player for 13-25 million, we will have 2-3 players. It's a numbers game. And right now we have MANY free agents that either started or played significant snaps. How do we replace them if we use over half of our cap room on 1 player? We can't. We'd have the worst depth in the league. The league in which injuries are the norm and depth is necessary. While I would like to keep Gilmore, the numbers game just doesn't match up. No matter how you spin it, there's no way we can pay Gilmore what he wants and fill out the roster with solid players, unless we hit on all of our draft picks and minimum salary free agents. The likelihood of that happening is close to zero imo. We can't put ourselves in a position where we have little to no cap room in a year or 2, just like we are this year.

Who cares? We'll figure it out. How many FAs do you expect us to sign? 6?

No roster is "filled" with solid players for long. That only happens with luck. Shooting for that is nonsensical.

Edited by FireChan

Who cares? We'll figure it out. How many FAs do you expect us to sign? 6?

No roster is "filled" with solid players for long. That only happens with luck. Shooting for that is nonsensical.

6? We're going to sign way more than 6. We have 6 draft picks and 20+ free agents. Do the math. That's my point. Unless you want to fill the roster with 10 udfa's we need that cap room to fill our depth. We'll probably sign/re-sign 3-5 players that will be in position to start or compete for serious PT. A couple of them will probably be for 1-2 mill. A couple will be pricier (5-7 mill). gilmores contract is equal to almost all of those potential free agent signings. Meanwhile we can replace Gilmore with 1 contract or one draft pick. His replacement may not be as good, but the overall quality of talent on the team will be better.

Like I've said multiple times, I really like Gilmore and would've loved to have him back, but from a GMs standpoint, when building a team, sometimes you have to take a step back at a certain position to take multiple steps forward across the board. I'm not saying we have to fill every position with solid players, but as a GM you'd like to add as much quality depth as possible and that letting Gilmore test the waters shows that that's the gameplay imo

Edited by NewEra

6? We're going to sign way more than 6. We have 6 draft picks and 20+ free agents. Do the math. That's my point. Unless you want to fill the roster with 10 udfa's we need that cap room to fill our depth. We'll probably sign/re-sign 3-5 players that will be in position to start or compete for serious PT. A couple of them will probably be for 1-2 mill. A couple will be pricier (5-7 mill). gilmores contract is equal to almost all of those potential free agent signings. Meanwhile we can replace Gilmore with 1 contract or one draft pick. His replacement may not be as good, but the overall quality of talent on the team will be better.

Like I've said multiple times, I really like Gilmore and would've loved to have him back, but from a GMs standpoint, when building a team, sometimes you have to take a step back at a certain position to take multiple steps forward across the board. I'm not saying we have to fill every position with solid players, but as a GM you'd like to add as much quality depth as possible and that letting Gilmore test the waters shows that that's the gameplay imo

Okay, I actually hear the argument you are making. I just don't agree with it.

I agree with this thought process

I agree that LorAx might be a bit of good money after bad. His career year at age 33 is likely an anomaly and even if LorAx has a good year or two left he isn't going to be playing in the same system. So in addition to the fact that he might not produce the same way at his age you have to account that he is no longer in the same system that produced those results.

You can never underestimate the role of leadership on a team. For the ones who've been through the trials of competition. Those few, who show the strength to lead and set by example, should be rewarded. Alexander is not "fools gold". Alexander is a player in which fans of the Buffalo Bills wish we had more of. Period

Yessir !

Nice post all around, but the bolded seems common Man sense to me

I agree that LorAx might be a bit of good money after bad. His career year at age 33 is likely an anomaly and even if LorAx has a good year or two left he isn't going to be playing in the same system. So in addition to the fact that he might not produce the same way at his age you have to account that he is no longer in the same system that produced those results.

If i have to pick Lorenzo over Z Brown. I pick Brown.

Would very much like to have them both! And I would start Ryan Groy if that is the sacrifice we need to make !

Also agree. Keep Z. Brown for MLB, move the other Brown to OSL where he originally started and if they can sign Lorax for a reasonable amount go for it. Then we are set at LB, especially with Ragland pushing for a starting job.

Z Brown would be WLB, not MLB

You have a good grasp of the cap and real decisions teams have to make because of it. Not that I always agree with it, but the Bills strategy of draft a corner early, let him walk upon 2nd contract has clearly been a conscious effort for a number of years that they like to utilize to play the numbers as you well describe.

You have a good grasp of the cap and real decisions teams have to make because of it. Not that I always agree with it, but the Bills strategy of draft a corner early, let him walk upon 2nd contract has clearly been a conscious effort for a number of years that they like to utilize to play the numbers as you well describe.

well lets look at two things in regard to CBs

They take a year or 3 to get right. some longer, team scheme dependant.

But keeping your own is a great line.

Till they get expensive as hell.

So drafting players and keeping them on rookie contracts, whilst they play well is a GMs umm, thing.

Gilmore turned out really good. as good as drafted.

Lorax is also a GMs, thing. But this guy you can work with in regard to contract

well lets look at two things in regard to CBs

They take a year or 3 to get right. some longer, team scheme dependant.

But keeping your own is a great line.

Till they get expensive as hell.

So drafting players and keeping them on rookie contracts, whilst they play well is a GMs umm, thing.

Gilmore turned out really good. as good as drafted.

Lorax is also a GMs, thing. But this guy you can work with in regard to contract

I agree regarding Lorax

If we are going to give money to one of our FA LBs, I hope that it is to Z Brown. Alexander was a great story. Everyone was happy for him and he earned every bit of praise and respect that he got. The truth is, how often does a guy with a resume like that, recreate his max performance? Chances are he is more like the pedestrian player that he was for 10 years, then the star he was for 1. And to top it off in this system, where is he going to fit?

Someone is going to over pay for this guy and more then likely regret it. 2016 was an amazing story and a career year for Alexander. It's going to get him paid, I just hope it's not us that does it.

I loved Lorenzo's season, but I would not throw any money at him. He is going to be overpaid somewhere I think

Agreed... He had a wonderful season and was well worth the price we paid... but cmon, the smart move is to let him walk... same with Gilmore... and I believe the same holds true for TT...

I'd draft a QB at #10 and a CB in rd 2...

Or maybe acquire McCarron from Cinci for the Bills 2nd - That's assuming Whaley thinks he can play... I'm not necessarily advocating this move, but hey it's another possibility right?

Edited by DefenseWins

I loved Lorenzo's season, but I would not throw any money at him. He is going to be overpaid somewhere I think

I offer him something, tell him to shop around, and then come back to the table. Thats fair for both sides