Alexander is fools gold

He was a great story last year and all but you saw him tail off during the 2nd half of the season. Add that to the fact we are switching defenses so there is no telling what he can contribute in McDs Defense. And let's pile on that his agent just said he wants 5-10 million next season. Did I mention he will be 34 by the start of next year?

Let's hope Whaley and his limited intelligence can atleast realize we don't need to be using valuable cap space on a position we are not that thin at, much less on a 34 year old one hit wonder.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a great story last year and all but you saw him tail off during the 2nd half of the season. Add that to the fact we are switching defenses so there is no telling what he can contribute in McDs Defense. And let's pile on that his agent just said he wants 5-10 million next season. Did I mention he will be 34 by the start of next year?

Let's hope Whaley and his limited intelligence can atleast realize we don't need to be using valuable cap space on a position we are not that thin at, much less on a 34 year old one hit wonder.

I agree, Alexander would be an easy player to overpay. No one could have predicted his break out season last year. Or could they have? Badol made a good case as for why a journeyman LB would be more than serviceable under Rex and that's exactly what we saw. A high effort/intelligent guy benefiting from a system in which many other Bills resisted. I think it's safe to say that last year was an aberration.

Paying Lorax while letting Gilmore walk over $2M will be the last straw for Whales.

If Gilmore's asking price is too high there are a few nice options out there which could be cheaper and possibly better fits. If your suggestion it's an either or situation I agree Gilmore would be an easy choice.

If Gilmore's asking price is too high there are a few nice options out there which could be cheaper and possibly better fits. If your suggestion it's an either or situation I agree Gilmore would be an easy choice.

But we aren't playing Madden. Every team is in the corner market and we are not a destination. We had options to tag and retain Gilmore but didn't use them. I'd rather pay too much money to a guy who can play than too much to a guy who can't.

Paying Lorax while letting Gilmore walk over $2M will be the last straw for Whales.

22 roster spots to fill due to free agency. We have less cap room than over 2/3 of the league. Paying a pretty good CB like he's a top 5 cb would be a mistake imo. The 13-15 mill we'd have spent on him can be used to add 2 very good players. Major holes at Safety, WR, RT, LB and overall depth make it nearly impossible to pony up that kid of money for one player that wasn't one of the best in the league. Don't get me wrong, I do like Gilmore and I do think he's a good cb. Just don't think he's worth the price tag considering our current cap/roster situation. Too many holes too fill and not enough resources to fill them with.

But we aren't playing Madden. Every team is in the corner market and we are not a destination. We had options to tag and retain Gilmore but didn't use them. I'd rather pay too much money to a guy who can play than too much to a guy who can't.

I don't understand the madden reference. My guess is that Prince and Bouye sign somewhere for less than Gilmore. Bouye could be a real bargain, he had terrible luck with injuries which started at his pro day and plagued him through the first few years of his career. Last year he got his chance and proved himself a CB1. Prince is and has been a good NFL player.

That's just a short sighted thought process. You have to look at the overall picture. Look at how many free agents we have. Look at how many positions we need to fill. Look at how much cap space we have. Look at how strong the CB talent in this draft is (very strong). We have "x" amount of resources. We can't almost spent half of our cap room on 1 position. Too many holes to fill. I love Gilmore, but I'm glad we didn't commit that kind of money to him this year. Good player, not even close to being worth his price tag

Let's hope Whaley and his limited intelligence can atleast realize we don't need to be using valuable cap space on a position we are not that thin at, much less on a 34 year old one hit wonder

I agree, good story but no reason to pay big money for him

This just makes it so we sign Zach brown (or another solid LB) and Tony Jefferson (or another solid safety) for the same amount Gilmore is being paid. Then we don't have to spend high draft picks on LB and Safety and can draft Gilmores replacement . Mix and match Safety, LB, RT, WR....we can most likely sign 2 of those positions at the same price of gilmore.

Edited by NewEra

22 roster spots to fill due to free agency. We have less cap room than over 2/3 of the league. Paying a pretty good CB like he's a top 5 cb would be a mistake imo. The 13-15 mill we'd have spent on him can be used to add 2 very good players. Major holes at Safety, WR, RT, LB and overall depth make it nearly impossible to pony up that kid of money for one player that wasn't one of the best in the league. Don't get me wrong, I do like Gilmore and I do think he's a good cb. Just don't think he's worth the price tag considering our current cap/roster situation. Too many holes too fill and not enough resources to fill them with.

The reports are that GIlmore wants $14M and we offered $10M. Throw in Lorax's $2-$3M and we're basically there.

It truly is an either/or situation. Paying the one-hit wonder over the consistent top 10 CB.

We won't add "2 very good players" with $13M. We'll add some below average starters or vets on their last legs.

Edited by FireChan

The reports are that GIlmore wants $14M and we offered $10M. Throw in Lorax's $2-$3M and we're basically there.

It truly is an either/or situation. Paying the one-hit wonder over the consistent top 10 CB.

We won't add "2 very good players" with $13M. We'll add some below average starters or vets on their last legs.

I'd have to say Gilmore is Nate Clements 2.0. Let him walk Edited by Estelle Getty

INDIANAPOLIS -- Free-agent linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said Tuesday his agent would be meeting with representatives of the Buffalo Bills here Saturday to discuss a new contract with the team.

I sure hope this contract makes sense. He's an ok player that's not overly athletically gifted. He had some nice sack but then several that were garbage sacks or just him being in a good place. His sack total was fine but he's not a man that was stalking QB's all year.

I'd have to say Gilmore is Nate Clements 2.0. Let him walk

I don't see the comparison at all. Clements was a tackling machine that would clean your clock - however didn't possess elite cover skills. Gilmore wants little to do with tackling and isn't a physical corner - however he's got excellent cover skills.

That's just a short sighted thought process. You have to look at the overall picture. Look at how many free agents we have. Look at how many positions we need to fill. Look at how much cap space we have. Look at how strong the CB talent in this draft is (very strong). We have "x" amount of resources. We can't almost spent half of our cap room on 1 position. Too many holes to fill. I love Gilmore, but I'm glad we didn't commit that kind of money to him this year. Good player, not even close to being worth his price tag

Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Tyrod are in make it or break it seasons, all of which could provide significant cap room by moving on and none of them (outside of Tyrod potentially) look to be long in Buffalo. Shady could break down at any moment. Lorax was a career special teamer who had a great season in a defense we no longer play, he's 34 and wants a contract reflecting his career season, one he's not likely to replicate. Gilmore is 26 (27 when the season starts) and should be productive for the life of a 4 or 5 year deal, several people suggest using a high draft pick to replace him. Tony Jefferson is going to be an extremely hot commodity and we are not likely to be high on his list unless we pay for that privilege. Who is the one with a short sighted thought process?

And how did that work for Byrd?

If they put a price on Gilmore and he wants significantly more than what they value him at, you let him go. You can't make every one of your own FA's the highest paid player at their position just because that's what they want.