March Movies: Logan, Kong, Beauty & The Beast, Power Rangers

Mark Vader

While all of Hollywood is still trying to figure out who won Best Picture, the month of March arrives bringing us the Spring Season of movies. Generally this is when bigger titles are released, serving as an appetizer to the much larger tent pole releases in the upcoming months of the Summer Season. Having said that, the movie studios are not holding back this season as they are putting nearly all of their money into March. The month of April is a bit more subdued. Each week has one big title after another, and those who enjoy action/adventure are clearly being targeted. You'd think this was a summer month. Leading the charge this month is yet another comic book character who has been played by the same actor for nearly two decades. Needless to say this will be his last time as this particular character.

20th Century Fox presents Hugh Jackman as "Logan". In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X in a hide out on the Mexican border. But Logan's attempts to hide from the world and his legacy are up-ended when a young mutant arrives, being pursued by dark forces. Also starring Patrick Stewart, Dafne Keen & Boyd Holbrook.

Warner Bros. moves forward with it's Monsterverse series, with "Kong: Skull Island". A team of explorers and soldiers travel to an uncharted island in the Pacific, unaware that they are crossing into the domain of monsters, including the mythic Kong. The impressive ensemble cast includes: Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, John C. Reilly, Corey Hawkins, John Ortiz, Tian Jing, & John Goodman.

Disney continues it's trend of making their animated classics into live action films, this time with "Beauty and the Beast". An adaptation of the Disney fairy tale about a monstrous-looking prince and a young woman who fall in love. Starring Dan Stevens, Emma Watson, Luke Evans, Ewan McGregor, Josh Gad, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Emma Thompson, Stanley Tucci, Kevin Kline, & Ian McKellan.

Lionsgate presents, "Power Rangers". A group of high-school kids, who are infused with unique superpowers, harness their abilities in order to save the world. Starring Elizabeth Banks, Bryan Cranston, Becky G, Naomi Scott, Dacre Montgomery, Ludi Lin, RJ Cyler, Sarah Grey, and Bill Hader.

Paramount & Dreamworks presents, and Scarlett Johansson stars in, "Ghost In The Shell". Based on the sci-fi, manga series... A cyborg policewoman attempts to bring down a nefarious computer hacker. Also starring Michael Pitt, Juliette Binoche, & Michael Wincott.

Jake Gyllenhaal & Ryan Reynolds star in, "Life". An international space crew discovers life on Mars. Also starring Rebecca Ferguson & Hiroyuki Sanada.

Jessica Chastain is, "The Zookeeper's Wife". The Zookeeper's Wife tells the account of keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, Antonina and Jan Zabinski, who helped save hundreds of people and animals during the German invasion. Also starring Johan Heldenbergh, Daniel Bruhl, & Timothy Radford.

In "CHIPS", The adventures of two California Highway Patrol motorcycle officers as they make their rounds on the freeways of Los Angeles. Starring Michael Pena, Dax Shepard, Jessica McNamee, & Adam Brody.

In "The Boss Baby", A suit-wearing briefcase-carrying baby pairs up with his seven-year old brother to stop the dastardly plot of the CEO of Puppy Co. Starring the voices of Alec Baldwin, Steve Buscemi, Lisa Kudrow, & Tobey Maguire.

In "The Shack", A grieving man receives a mysterious, personal invitation to meet with God at a place called "The Shack." Starring Sam Worthington, Octavia Spencer, Tim McGraw, & Radha Mitchell.

Shirley Maclaine & Amanda Seyfried star in, "The Last Word". Harriet is a retired businesswoman who tries to control everything around her. When she decides to write her own obituary, a young journalist takes up the task of finding out the truth resulting in a life-altering friendship. Also starring AnnJewel Lee Dixon, & Thomas Sadoski.

In "Table 19", Ex-maid of honor Eloise, having been relieved of her duties after being unceremoniously dumped by the best man via text, decides to attend the wedding anyway only to find herself seated with 5 "random" guests at the dreaded Table 19. Starring Anna Kendrick, Lisa Kudrow, Craig Robinson, & Stephen Merchant.

Finally, in "Before I Fall", February 12 is just another day in Sam's charmed life until it turns out to be her last. Stuck reliving her last day over one inexplicable week, Sam untangles the mystery around her death and discovers everything she's in danger of losing. Starring Zoey Deutch, Halston Sage, Cynthy Wu, & Medalion Rahimi.

Calendar with Trailers

3/3

"Logan": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/logan

"The Shack": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi113292825?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Before I Fall": http://beforeifallfilm.com/

"The Last Word": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4291278361?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Table 19": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/table19/

3/10

"Kong: Skull Island": http://kongskullislandmovie.com/

3/17

"Beauty and the Beast": http://movies.disney.com/beauty-and-the-beast-2017

3/24

"Power Rangers": http://www.powerrangers.movie/

"Life": http://www.lifemovie.com/

"CHIPS": http://chipsthemovie.com/

3/31

"The Boss Baby": http://www.dreamworks.com/thebossbaby/

"The Zookeeper's Wife": http://www.focusfeatures.com/thezookeeperswife/

"Ghost In The Shell": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1030927897?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

Warner Bros. moves forward with it's Monsterverse series, with "Kong: Skull Island". A team of explorers and soldiers travel to an uncharted island in the Pacific, unaware that they are crossing into the domain of monsters, including the mythic Kong. The impressive ensemble cast includes: Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, John C. Reilly, Corey Hawkins, John Ortiz, Tian Jing, & John Goodman.

I can't say I'm excited for this movie...except holy ****, I love this cast.

In "CHIPS", The adventures of two California Highway Patrol motorcycle officers as they make their rounds on the freeways of Los Angeles. Starring Michael Pena, Dax Shepard, Jessica McNamee, & Adam Brody.

I don't think I've ever hated trailers as much as I hate the trailers for this movie. It's like they tried to make CHIPS funny, thinking CHIPS wasn't funny, not realizing that CHIPS was funny precisely because it was so corny, thereby ruining the original unintentional humor of CHIPS with intentional humor that turns out to be not funny. They've basically sprayed eau de rotting fish on a skunk. I hope everyone involved with this movie gets boils.

I can't say I'm excited for this movie...except holy ****, I love this cast.

I love the cast AND I am excited for this movie. These movies are just fun.

Not to mention that this will all lead up to "Kong Vs. Godzilla". :w00t:

Also, this poster is bad-ass. kong-skull-island-poster-2.jpg

I love the cast AND I am excited for this movie. These movies are just fun.

Not to mention that this will all lead up to "Kong Vs. Godzilla". :w00t:

Also, this poster is bad-ass. kong-skull-island-poster-2.jpg

A giant, belligerent ape set against the rising sun, being threatened by American servicemen approaching over-water.

Is that a movie poster, or World War 2 propaganda? I could so make an argument for that poster being racist. It would be an absolutely ridiculous argument. But I could make it.

Whoever green-lighted CHIPs should be not only fired but launched into space by SpaceX.

:lol::lol::beer:

A giant, belligerent ape set against the rising sun, being threatened by American servicemen approaching over-water.

Is that a movie poster, or World War 2 propaganda? I could so make an argument for that poster being racist. It would be an absolutely ridiculous argument. But I could make it.

Now that you typed it, and Google has cached it, we might just see an op-ed type review prosecuting that case.

I'm loving the possibilities of Logan now that they're making some R rated comic movies. The little girl looks completely brutal in the trailers/commercials.

I will go see Logan, the lady is taking her sister to see Beauty and the Beast. I haven't been to the movies since I took my nephew and we saw "Sing" it was a disappointment.

"Logan" is getting excellent reviews. I will definitely be seeing it.

Commonsense, I did not see "Sing", because it looked silly and not all that good. Most people told me it was nothing special.

I am wondering if Illumination is a really strong animation company, or just a factory for "Despicable Me" & "The Minions". Their other projects have not looked that good.

It is not.

(imo)

That's what I am starting to believe as well.

Dreamworks went through the same thing. The Shrek series was fun, but everything else was...meh.

To Dreamworks credit, they found a new niche with "How To Train Your Dragon". There will be a 3rd movie in that series coming out, thankfully. I just wish they would forget about "Kung Fu Panda". Also, things don't look good for them with "The Boss Baby" coming soon.

I hope these two animation studios can get their act together, and stop being the dumb man's Pixar.

That's what I am starting to believe as well.

Dreamworks went through the same thing. The Shrek series was fun, but everything else was...meh.

To Dreamworks credit, they found a new niche with "How To Train Your Dragon". There will be a 3rd movie in that series coming out, thankfully. I just wish they would forget about "Kung Fu Panda". Also, things don't look good for them with "The Boss Baby" coming soon.

I hope these two animation studios can get their act together, and stop being the dumb man's Pixar.

Agreed.

Universal is going to have to consolidate some of their animation studios. They now have Dreamworks, Illumination, and Universal Animation -- on the feature side they can probably make it work but both Dreamworks and UA have a large batch of TV shows and new media shows that are equally as poorly run/produced. When Dreamworks sold to Universal, everyone kind of expected a big wave of firings... but they instead kept all the execs (whom, by and large, tend to be the issue).

So who knows what will happen.

Agreed.

Universal is going to have to consolidate some of their animation studios. They now have Dreamworks, Illumination, and Universal Animation -- on the feature side they can probably make it work but both Dreamworks and UA have a large batch of TV shows and new media shows that are equally as poorly run/produced. When Dreamworks sold to Universal, everyone kind of expected a big wave of firings... but they instead kept all the execs (whom, by and large, tend to be the issue).

So who knows what will happen.

So Dreamworks is no longer owned by Paramount?

I won't have time to see more than two movies this month, so:

I need to choose between Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, or Ghost in the Shell..

The first two. After Lucy, I don't trust any science fiction where Scarlett Johansson is the lead.

I see. Hopefully things get better for them.

I wish that Dreamworks was still it's own company. They made some very good movies on their own. True, a lot of their movies were joint ventures with other studios, but they did a fine job on their own.

The first two. After Lucy, I don't trust any science fiction where Scarlett Johansson is the lead.

I never thought I'd see the day where you'd recommend that someone go watch Power Rangers. Then again, I suppose I never expected the opposite either.

I saw "Logan" today.

Very violent, very dark, very powerful, and very good.

Hugh Jackman is amazing, and what a debut for young Dafne Keen. Always glad to see Patrick Stewart.

I really want to know what others thought of it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Great job.

I saw "Logan" today.

Hugh Jackman is amazing, and what a debut for young Dafne Keen. Always glad to see Patrick Stewart.

I really want to know what others thought of it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Great job.

Saw it Saturday. Great flick. Fantastic way for Jackman and Stewart to exit the series.

I won't have time to see more than two movies this month, so:

I need to choose between Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, or Ghost in the Shell..

See Beauty and the Beast this month and Ghost in the Shell next month since the latter starts March 31.

Saw "Kong: Skull Island". Lots of fun, as expected.

It's great seeing the big ape on the silver screen again.

Nice to see Tom Hiddleston in a big budget film where he is not playing Loki.

If you love monster movies, then you'll love this. Just sit back and have fun with it.

Oh yes, stick around after the credits are finished. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I saw "Logan" today.

Logan was just okay for me.

...But I think the army of kids running around spoiled it for me. I could tell they were all bored. The one next to me kept shifting in the large recliner; even pushed the table swivel thing into my leg. I was ready to murder the brat.

It felt a little long. The Reavers were about as trained as Storm Troopers. And the kids reminded me of children of the corn.

Logan was awesome. That R rating was everything this character should have always been. They even pushed that just about as far as they could.

They sure did.

Several disturbing moments, but it didn't take away from the movie.