Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he the one that built the basketball courts or something like that?

He did a bunch of stuff for the inner city parks, seemed like a really genuine guy. I forget who aired that show. I wasn't ever a fan of his until I saw that show and I wish they would cover more guys.

It's easy to say _________ is a good guy and he does charitable work but it's a different level when you see them doing it and get a taste of their personality. As a sports junkie I eat that stuff up.

He did a bunch of stuff for the inner city parks, seemed like a really genuine guy. I forget who aired that show. I wasn't ever a fan of his until I saw that show and I wish they would cover more guys.

It's easy to say _________ is a good guy and he does charitable work but it's a different level when you see them doing it and get a taste of their personality. As a sports junkie I eat that stuff up.

That's a big reason why I so often find myself defending the athletes. After the 8+ years I spent working in sports I saw so many things like that no one would have ever known. The overwhelming majority of these guys get it. They care. They don't care about everything and they don't their personal space occupied but they do tons and tons and tons of little things that no one would ever notice.

I'll give one quick story:

When Jarrett Jack was with the Hornets (the 1st time) we used to sit special clients and kids groups courtside for warm ups. There was this one little kid (maybe 10) that was a special needs kid sitting there with his dad. Jack was shooting corner 3's warming up and he made a few. This kid was cheering. Jack stopped and sat next to the kid and said "what's your name?" The kid answered and Jarrett said "you are my good luck charm Reggie." He went back to shooting and hit the next 10 in a row. He said "Reggie, hold on." He ran to the locker room came back with floor seats, signed shoes and a jersey. He said that I need you to sit near me. You are my good luck charm. Take my phone number, in case you ever need anything. You can call me whenever." The kid took the number and as of 2 years after that he still kept in touch with Jack. Jack had like 24 points that game or something.

That's the extremely abbreviated version but there were no cameras or anything. There was maybe a dozen or so people that saw it all. He just did it because he cared.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's a big reason why I so often find myself defending the athletes. After the 8+ years I spent working in sports I saw so many things like that no one would have ever known. The overwhelming majority of these guys get it. They care. They don't care about everything and they don't their personal space occupied but they do tons and tons and tons of little things that no one would ever notice.

When Jarrett Jack was with the Hornets (the 1st time) we used to sit special clients and kids groups courtside for warm ups. There was this one little kid (maybe 10) that was a special needs kid sitting there with his dad. Jack was shorting corner 3's warming up and he made a few. This kid was cheering. Jack stopped and sat next to the kid and said "what's your name?" The kid answered and Jarrett said "you are my good luck charm Reggie." He went back to shorting and hit the next 10 in a row. He said "Reggie, hold on." He ran to the locker room came back with floor seats, signed shoes and a jersey. He said that I need you to sit near me. You are my good luck charm. Take my phone number, in case you ever need anything. You can call me whenever." The kid took the number and as of 2 years after that he still kept in touch with Jack. Jack had like 24 points that game or something.

That's the extremely abbreviated version but there were no cameras or anything. There was maybe a dozen or so people that saw it all. He just did it because he cared.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I remember him playing for GT, not sure why! It must have been pretty neat to work in that environment.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I remember him playing for GT, not sure why! It must have been pretty neat to work in that environment.

It was a lot of fun but a hard lifestyle. We worked hard and played harder. I never worked in baseball but they say that's even worse with the 82 home games.

I was blessed to experience a lot because of it. I really enjoyed my time and would do it again in a heartbeat. By the time that I hit 30 though I was ready for new challenges. I couldn't keep up the schedule of working 12 hours and partying 6. On a Friday home game (for example), you'd work 8:00 AM - like 9:30 PM and then go out until about 4. Even during the week it was after midnight.

When Jarrett Jack was with the Hornets (the 1st time) we used to sit special clients and kids groups courtside for warm ups. There was this one little kid (maybe 10) that was a special needs kid sitting there with his dad. Jack was shooting corner 3's warming up and he made a few. This kid was cheering. Jack stopped and sat next to the kid and said "what's your name?" The kid answered and Jarrett said "you are my good luck charm Reggie." He went back to shooting and hit the next 10 in a row. He said "Reggie, hold on." He ran to the locker room came back with floor seats, signed shoes and a jersey. He said that I need you to sit near me. You are my good luck charm. Take my phone number, in case you ever need anything. You can call me whenever." The kid took the number and as of 2 years after that he still kept in touch with Jack. Jack had like 24 points that game or something.

That's beautiful. I always liked Jack, got to watch him regularly in Brooklyn. I worked with folks with developmental disabilities for awhile, this hits home for me. So above and beyond cool of him to give the kid his phone number.

I guess this is a place to mention what I just read on ESPN

Sources: Giants expected to sign QB Geno Smith after physical

Smith, who suffered a torn ACL on Oct. 23, visited the Giants last weekend. He would join a group that includes starter Eli Manning, veteran Josh Johnson and Keith Wenning.

Johnson agreed to terms with the Giants on Friday, according to his agent. He impressed the Giants last year, despite not throwing a regular-season pass. Smith, 26, could be viewed as a developmental project as Manning prepares for his 14th season.

I guess this is a place to mention what I just read on ESPN

Sources: Giants expected to sign QB Geno Smith after physical

Smith, who suffered a torn ACL on Oct. 23, visited the Giants last weekend. He would join a group that includes starter Eli Manning, veteran Josh Johnson and Keith Wenning.

Johnson agreed to terms with the Giants on Friday, according to his agent. He impressed the Giants last year, despite not throwing a regular-season pass. Smith, 26, could be viewed as a developmental project as Manning prepares for his 14th season.

I love that, 4 years in, he is still viewed as a developmental project. Not saying it never happens, but I don't see Geno as the poster boy for late bloomers

Just read an article on MSN news about the worst FA signing this year. Bill's were mentioned twice.

First for the dumb move by the Rams for Over paying for ex Bill's receiver Robert Woods who has shown to be no more than a #2 but the Ram's are paying him like a #1

Then SF signed some fullback and way over paid at $5mil per year which they compared him against the FB the Bills just signed for $1.2 mil.

Just read an article on MSN news about the worst FA signing this year. Bill's were mentioned twice.

First for the dumb move by the Rams for Over paying for ex Bill's receiver Robert Woods who has shown to be no more than a #2 but the Ram's are paying him like a #1

Then SF signed some fullback and way over paid at $5mil per year which they compared him against the FB the Bills just signed for $1.2 mil.

Woods' agent should be on the short list of every player in or coming into the NFL. Getting him 8 mill a year was a fantastic job, as well as Woods gets to head back home to SoCal. That was a lot of money for a guy who hasn't done much in this league. Wish the guy the best though, a class act and team player.

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Hankins, he wants a contract that doesn't match how he performed last year, but he's 24 and has plenty of upside. He could give us very good depth at DT and take over as the long term replacement for Kyle. There's not a lot of opportunity cost to signing him as the market is starting to get picked pretty clean and other than maybe Zach Brown (who also seems to want too much money and would be paying for a career year at 28) there's no one else worth paying.

I saw one that had Gilmore as a bad signing