Why not Use Transition Tag on Gilmore

Stussy109

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore was a waste of a draft pick and would be an even bigger waste of a signing. He is not a winner, nor will he ever be.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And there is a huge difference between drafting top 10 corners and drafting top 10 safeties. When top end corners hit the free agency market they get massive paydays. I know you don't agree but corner play is a still a very significant factor in Ws and Ls in the modern NFL. Safeties (with the very odd exception) do not command the same $$s in free agency and that is why they are spots that can be plugged easily there.

Your general position that the Bills have used too many high value picks on defensive backs and not enough on Quarterbacks I agree with. Your hatred of the Whitner pick I share... but a top level corner is a guy I would absolutely draft in the top 10 and I think you pay to keep once you have. Gilmore's numbers this year and last were right up there among the best players at the position in the league as has been evidenced on this forum more than once.

If the Bills let him go they will regret it.

Facts? Please bandit.

Gilmore was a waste of a draft pick and would be an even bigger waste of a signing. He is not a winner, nor will he ever be. Whaley might be stupid enough to sign him. After all, he did try to re-sign Byrd. If he does sign Gilmore, it will only put the Bills deeper in the cellar of disgrace in which they currently reside.

It is sad, but many Bills Fans have the Stockholm Syndrome. Sure, let's draft a top 10 safety or corner! Let's give a big costly contract to Gilmore!

The Bills didn't lose in spite of players such as Whitner and Gilmore. We are consistent failures BECAUSE of wasting our best resources on so-so players such as these.

Love ya Bill, but every single statement there is an opinion.

I'm dealing only in facts on Gilmore, and here they are (again):

Gilmore stats for the 2016 season: 69 targets, 40 receptions, 627 yards, 2 TDs, 67.7 passer rating against, 42 solo tackles

http://billswire.usa...hought-in-2016/

Article from Ike Taylor on his top 10 CBs in 2016:

http://www.nfl.com/n...n-lands-at-no-1

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks: allowed 44 catches on 85 targets for 624 yards, two TDs, four INTs, 64.0 passer rating against, 38 solo tackles

Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals: allowed 43 catches on 74 targets for 539 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 72.9 passer rating against, 45 solo tackles

Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos: allowed 34 catches on 72 targets for 337 yards, three TDs, two INTs, 63.3 passer rating against, 57 solo tackles

Marcus Peters, Kansas City Chiefs: allowed 51 catches on 89 targets for 652 yards, three TDs, six INTs, 63.5 passer rating against, 35 solo tackles

Josh Norman, Washington Redskins: allowed 44 catches on 88 targets for 589 yards, four TDs, three INTs, 72.6 passer rating against, 52 solo tackles

Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants: allowed 37 catches on 81 targets for 425 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 54.8 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles

Adam Jones, Cincinnati Bengals: allowed 47 catches for 76 targets for 482 yards, two TDs, one INT, 83.3 passer rating against, 54 solo tackles

Xavier Rhodes, Minnesota Vikings: allowed 33 catches on 79 targets for 384 yards, two TDs, five INTs, 39.2 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles

Aqib Talib, Denver Broncos: allowed 36 catches on 73 targets for 372 yards, zero TDs, three INTs, 53.3 passer rating against, 32 solo tackles

Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars: allowed 48 catches on 90 targets for 703 yards, two TDs, two INTs, 68.0 passer rating against, 55 solo tackles

Summary:

- Gilmore was targeted by opposing QBs fewer times than everyone on that list

- He allowed more yards than everyone on the list save for Ramsey and Peters

- Talib allowed zero TDs, and Gilmore tied with 6 others on the list for 2nd-fewest with 2 TDs allowed

- Gilmore's passer rating allowed was 3.7 points behind Sherman, and better than than those allowed by Patrick Peterson, Josh Norman, Adam Jones, and Jalen Ramsey

- Gilmore had fewer INTs than Peters, and tied with Rhodes for 2nd-most from that list

I'd say that Gilmore definitely has an argument that he should be considered among the top 10 cover corners in the NFL based on the numbers.

Gilmore is a whiner who would sit out the transition tag. I'd rather let him walk and get a compensatory pick for him

He was in attendance for every mandatory team activity last season despite wanting a new contract, so there's literally zero reason to expect that.

And again I say: I'm fine if they let him walk and don't pay him the $14M+ that he's likely to get per annum. I'm decidedly NOT fine if they don't replace him with another very good CB, because despite what some folks want to believe, that's exactly what he is...nearly the EXACT same numbers as Richard Sherman last year.

Edited by thebandit27

gilmore is an unwilling tackler vs the run.

that totally negates his outstanding cover skills.

he's not worth top 5 or top 10 money.

Everything you state here is wrong

He had more solo tackles than Richard Sherman, and "unwilling" tacklers don't get hurt trying.

Not to mention that the idea that being a bad tackler negates the job he's doing 90% of the time is sheer lunacy

Everything you state here is wrong

He had more solo tackles than Richard Sherman, and "unwilling" tacklers don't get hurt trying.

Not to mention that the idea that being a bad tackler negates the job he's doing 90% of the time is sheer lunacy

Good job with the stats, bandit. I am of the opinion that Gilmore is a top-10 but not a top 5 corner. I would like to see him stay as a Bill because we have way too many other needs esp Safety and WR.

I think he stays.

If our plan is to let Gilmore walk, (most likely resulting in a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018) why not tag him.with the more affordable transition Tage and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick this year? Similar to what we did with Peerless Price years ago.

Transition Tag doesn't get you anything.

gilmore is an unwilling tackler vs the run.

that totally negates his outstanding cover skills.

he's not worth top 5 or top 10 money.

I agree with Bandit above, but, agree it doesn't take into account his terrible tackling and unwilling to SEEM to try to tackle.

Good job with the stats, bandit. I am of the opinion that Gilmore is a top-10 but not a top 5 corner. I would like to see him stay as a Bill because we have way too many other needs esp Safety and WR.

I think he stays.

I would agree with this, but, tweak it and say Gilmore is a top 12-15 CB. But, that's a big hole to replace.

Also, he might have struggled with Rex's system or just didn't like playing for him.

I am a little all over the place on Gilmore, but, don't want to replace our #1 CB.

Has anyone heard anything about Gilmore getting tagged? Is it starting to look like he just walks?

tag would take up too much cap space because CB tag amount is crazy high. Can't see it unless they think they can sign him long term and just need more time. I don't think that's the case. Edited by YoloinOhio

Then anti-Gilmore crowd are anti-fact.

Pay. The. Man.

Please no. let him go.

Let someone else pay him.

I am fine with Corey White and or K Seymour starting and bulking up at safety..

Keep in mind I am not arguing whether or not Gilmore is ranked highly by the general consensus. I just do not feel his heart is in it while playing for the Bills. Let him head South.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And there is a huge difference between drafting top 10 corners and drafting top 10 safeties. When top end corners hit the free agency market they get massive paydays. I know you don't agree but corner play is a still a very significant factor in Ws and Ls in the modern NFL. Safeties (with the very odd exception) do not command the same $$s in free agency and that is why they are spots that can be plugged easily there.

Your general position that the Bills have used too many high value picks on defensive backs and not enough on Quarterbacks I agree with. Your hatred of the Whitner pick I share... but a top level corner is a guy I would absolutely draft in the top 10 and I think you pay to keep once you have. Gilmore's numbers this year and last were right up there among the best players at the position in the league as has been evidenced on this forum more than once.

If the Bills let him go they will regret it.

I think they will be quite aware of the drop off.

But like they say. Its business, Kid.

Cuz someone really wants and needs him and his skill set.

A large signing bonus for Gilmore could lessen his cap hit the next 2 seasons at least.

I think it will be up to McD whether to keep him just like Taylor.

Frazier/McD

I agree with Bandit above, but, agree it doesn't take into account his terrible tackling and unwilling to SEEM to try to tackle.

I would agree with this, but, tweak it and say Gilmore is a top 12-15 CB. But, that's a big hole to replace.

Also, he might have struggled with Rex's system or just didn't like playing for him.

I am a little all over the place on Gilmore, but, don't want to replace our #1 CB.

With a position that the NFL has 96 starters, top 12 is real good.

tag would take up too much cap space because CB tag amount is crazy high. Can't see it unless they think they can sign him long term and just need more time. I don't think that's the case.

Yep when we all talked about Tyrod Vs Gilmore and the tag. I said we should tag Tyrod if needed and get a decent contract with Gilmore. But Gilmore is going to get paid handsomely, without question.

With a position that the NFL has 96 starters, top 12 is real good.

Sure is !

Yep when we all talked about Tyrod Vs Gilmore and the tag. I said we should tag Tyrod if needed and get a decent contract with Gilmore. But Gilmore is going to get paid handsomely, without question.

If the decision was Gilmore or TT, I think I'd take Gilly.