Trump and Russia

Court docs show opposition firm’s attempt to shop fake Trump dossier to multiple news outlets

Indulge us in a flashback, if you will. It’s January 10, and Donald Trump’s impending inauguration already has driven liberal celebrities to lobby individual members of the Electoral College by name in search of just a few “heroes” who will flip their votes and save the country.

Suddenly, there are rumblings of something big breaking. According to CNN, it seems the Russians have material with which they can blackmail Trump. The New York Times’ Charles Blow asks how the nation can possibly go on with the inauguration until this is sorted out. Everyone agrees: this seems big … really big.

It wasn’t much later that we learned the blackmail material was the infamous Trump “dossier” with its salacious stories of Russian prostitutes. Not only that; journalists began to share how they’d all been shopped the same material but had to pass because it couldn’t be sourced or verified.

So that bombshell turned out to be a dud pretty quickly, although BuzzFeed decided to be the media outlet to go ahead and “err on the side of publishing” the unverified dossier, in the name of transparency.(Documents at link)

Fast forward to today. Yes, Trump was inaugurated, and sadly, the media is still working backward from the conclusion that Russia stole the election, searching for evidence to make it true.

In any case, U.K. court documents seem to confirm that, yes, Fusion GPS, the opposition research firm behind the dossier, shopped it around to journalists last fall.

Fusion’s co-founder he insists he’s not talking, subpoena or no subpoena.

Hey media, this story appears to be fully sourced and verified via court documents … don’t hesitate to run with it.

So this big news is literally just the same dump that was attempted, in October?................. :lol:

Edited by B-Man

Not yet. But don't worry, K-9 and friends will be here to tell us that it's just around the corner.

At this point in the Watergate scandal Nixon was just refusing to hand over his tapes. He wouldn't make his famous "I'm not a crook" statement for another 4 months. The impeachment proceedings wouldn't begin for another year.

Not saying this is Watergate. But for a federal investigation it is early. I mean you've been using this line for months, before it came out that Trump Jr. was lying about meetings for example. I know you're hoping to see the investigation end quickly, I assure you the president and his close circle are hoping the same, but it's gonna take time and more will come out. How much damage it all adds up to, that remains to be seen.

Happy to see Schumer pulling focus away from Russia though. Best for all sides to let the investigation do its thing and focus on other matters. It is a slow process.

At this point in the Watergate scandal Nixon was just refusing to hand over his tapes. He wouldn't make his famous "I'm not a crook" statement for another 4 months. The impeachment proceedings wouldn't begin for another year.

Not saying this is Watergate. But for a federal investigation it is early. I mean you've been using this line for months, before it came out that Trump Jr. was lying about meetings for example. I know you're hoping to see the investigation end quickly, I assure you the president and his close circle are hoping the same, but it's gonna take time and more will come out. How much damage it all adds up to, that remains to be seen.

Happy to see Schumer pulling focus away from Russia though. Best for all sides to let the investigation do its thing and focus on other matters. It is a slow process.

You're hoping this is watergate.

Because it's the only hope you have.

You're hoping this is watergate.

Because it's the only hope you have.

You can choose to ignore facts, and pretend that if there was anything to this investigation it would have all come out by now. I gave you an example of a time when that wasn't true. Maybe in the 70s some enterprising politicians with the rubber R stamped into their brain were making a big show of saying the Democrats hadn't found anything substantial at this point in the Watergate investigation. How silly they must have felt a year later.

Watergate started with approx. 6 men in prison for burglary. One a major former CIA man. His wife was killed in a commercial plane crash with cash on her totaling 6 figures. That began Watergate, you don't have anything within a million miles of this.

You can choose to ignore facts, and pretend that if there was anything to this investigation it would have all come out by now. I gave you an example of a time when that wasn't true. Maybe in the 70s some enterprising politicians with the rubber R stamped into their brain were making a big show of saying the Democrats hadn't found anything substantial at this point in the Watergate investigation. How silly they must have felt a year later.

What facts? It's obvious that you're nothing but a partisan hack, hoping that there is some wrongdoing.

Read an article recently that said the average length of time for a special prosecution since Watergate is 904 days. By that measure, the Mueller investigation is still in its infancy. Given the number of people in Trump's orbit with ties to Russian players, especially with regards to financial dealings, it's safe to assume this one may go well beyond 904 days. It's best to have measured responses to media reports, especially the sensationalized ones. Some here don't seem to grasp that.

Read an article recently that said the average length of time for a special prosecution since Watergate is 904 days. By that measure, the Mueller investigation is still in its infancy. Given the number of people in Trump's orbit with ties to Russian players, especially with regards to financial dealings, it's safe to assume this one may go well beyond 904 days. It's best to have measured responses to media reports, especially the sensationalized ones. Some here don't seem to grasp that.

Which is the whole point of this charade. To make it impossible for Trump to do ANYTHING in his time in office.

Which is the whole point of this charade. To make it impossible for Trump to do ANYTHING in his time in office.

There is nothing about Mueller's investigation preventing Trump from getting on with his agenda except, perhaps, his own pre-occupation with it. Susan Collins is right when she says he needs to shut up about it and get on with it. He can let his legal team worry about it instead; that's what they're getting paid to do. For example, Clinton spent years under investigation and still managed to work with Congress on several major issues of the day. No reason Trump can't do the same; at least from a practical standpoint.

There is nothing about Mueller's investigation preventing Trump from getting on with his agenda except, perhaps, his own pre-occupation with it. Susan Collins is right when she says he needs to shut up about it and get on with it. He can let his legal team worry about it instead; that's what they're getting paid to do. For example, Clinton spent years under investigation and still managed to work with Congress on several major issues of the day. No reason Trump can't do the same; at least from a practical standpoint.

However, Trump is a social media idiot. Got to put down the phone first.

How is the investigation stopping the Republicans from repealing and replacing Obamacare? How is it stopping tax reform? How is it stopping an infrastructure proposal? How is it stopping building the wall and making Mexico pay for it?

I don't think that's the correct adjective - at least with regards to his social media skills.

He knows exactly what he's doing when he tweets.

I would believe he knew what he was doing when he tweets if he weren't so impulsive. Sometimes his trolling is intentional, other times it's spur of the moment, raw reaction to what he's watching on the news at the time.