Foles will be a FA after Chiefs unlikely to pick up option

YoloinOhio

Tangentially, and forgive me for hijacking the thread a bit, but since we are contemplating replacements I don't know whether in hindsight I would have preferred Tyrod playing worse or going 9-7 through 16 games with 3500 yards passing, 25 TDs and 7 picks...just to make this thing a little easier for me as fan.

...this just in: I am pissed at Jim Kelly for not being ageless.

I'm also pissed at Brady for seemingly never aging.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two ships passing in the night?

Cutting Shady saves $6M.......and $6M could get Foles...... :flirt:

26BF and Yoyo start threads for every reportedly rumored potentially Bills related bowel movement but nothing on the "Shady may get cut" story. :lol:

This is a non-story. The Bills aren't going to cut McCoy to save $1m, all the while still eating $7.875m in dead cap space. That's just plain stupid.

I'd prefer Foles over Romo... not because I think Foles is better when healthy, I just don't think Romo is going to last longer than 3 games.

(Edit: I'm saying this with the assumption that Tyrod is gone, since that's what the prevailing thought seems to be.)

Edited by Dorkington

For the record, I want Tyrod back. But if the Bills are determined to move on, and have their hearts set on a rookie, I would much rather have Foles than Romo.

He's going to be cheaper than either Romo or Tyrod. While he has plenty of flaws in his game, he can at least move the chains in a WCO.

This is a non-story. The Bills aren't going to cut McCoy to save $1m, all the while still eating $7.875m in dead cap space. That's just plain stupid.

There are a whole-lotto' non-stories that get discussed on TSW. :flirt:

I didn't write the story.........or report that he's not a fit in the Dennison offense and it could save the Bills $6M+ in cap space if they use the June 1 designation.

There are a whole-lotto' non-stories that get discussed on TSW. :flirt:

I didn't write the story.........or report that he's not a fit in the Dennison offense and it could save the Bills $6M+ in cap space if they use the June 1 designation.

No, it can't. The $6m is his base salary for this season. If he plays, $2,625m of his prorated original bonus is applied to this season. He gets an additional $250k workout bonus. His total cap hit PLAYING this season is $8.875m. Cutting him accelerates the application of his prorated bonus for the remaining 3 years of his contract at $2.625m per year. So if the Bills cut him, they eat $7.875m in salary cap. The $7.875m is dead money no matter how you slice and dice it. McCoy is going nowhere.

The Bills are not cutting Shady. I know Badol would get all excited in a very undignified way if they did, but it isn't happening.

Badol is right on the savings in 2017 though. A post 1st June designation means they are only on the hook in 2017 for this year's signing bonus. There would be a further $5.2m worth of dead money in 2018 though.

Edited by GunnerBill

The running game and offense won't be as good or as explosive as last year with Foles.

His arm strength and playmaking ability doesn't compare to Tyrods.... for the sake of a difference of 6 to 8 million in cap savings I'd much rather keep Tyrod.

Is that better?

How about all the plays Tyrod misses with his lack of vision and anticipation? The fact that he panics and scrambles, throws late and it either sails or is thrown out of reach cause of bad foot work. Watching the playground QB was fun, the shine is off now and it's time to find a new QB. I'd take Foles potential over what I have or haven't seen Tyrod do at this point.

The Bills are not cutting Shady. I know Badol would get all excited in a very undignified way if they did, but it isn't happening.

Badol is right on the savings in 2017 though. A post 1st June designation means they are only on the hook in 2017 for this year's signing bonus. There would be a further $5.2m worth of dead money in 2018 though.

Notwithstanding cap mechanics and Badol choosing to ignore the future, $7.875m becomes dead money. I missed the June 1 timing thing, but barely consider that relevant.

:flirt:

How about all the plays Tyrod misses with his lack of vision and anticipation? The fact that he panics and scrambles, throws late and it either sails or is thrown out of reach cause of bad foot work. Watching the playground QB was fun, the shine is off now and it's time to find a new QB. I'd take Foles potential over what I have or haven't seen Tyrod do at this point.

If you think that Foles will be an upgrade you are sorely, sorely mistaken. He is a bad quarterback. He had one good year and has been a bad player other than that. If we are viewing him as a cheap veteran option to bridge to the young guy, sure. If you think that the position will improve with him that's not going to happen.

The only veteran that could be an upgrade from TT is Romo (and he has his own issues). If the Bills are moving on it is to a young guy, not Foles. Foles will just be here in case the young guy isn't ready week 1. He makes sense as a veteran bridge.

If you think that Foles will be an upgrade you are sorely, sorely mistaken. He is a bad quarterback. He had one good year and has been a bad player other than that. If we are viewing him as a cheap veteran option to bridge to the young guy, sure. If you think that the position will improve with him that's not going to happen.

The only veteran that could be an upgrade from TT is Romo (and he has his own issues). If the Bills are moving on it is to a young guy, not Foles. Foles will just be here in case the young guy isn't ready week 1. He makes sense as a veteran bridge.

Your opinion of course.

Your opinion of course.

I'm pretty comfortable calling that a fact. Foles stinks. There isn't a person in the NFL that thinks Foles would be an upgrade. Being a better option and being an upgrade are two different things. There is certainly an argument that he's a better option. There isn't really an argument that he's a better player in 2017.

Tangentially, and forgive me for hijacking the thread a bit, but since we are contemplating replacements I don't know whether in hindsight I would have preferred Tyrod playing worse or going 9-7 through 16 games with 3500 yards passing, 25 TDs and 7 picks...just to make this thing a little easier for me as fan.

...this just in: I am pissed at Jim Kelly for not being ageless.

True. But everyone can make the easy decisions. It's making the right decisions when they are difficult that separates the people who are actually good at something from the crowd.

I'm pretty comfortable calling that a fact. Foles stinks. There isn't a person in the NFL that thinks Foles would be an upgrade. Being a better option and being an upgrade are two different things. There is certainly an argument that he's a better option. There isn't really an argument that he's a better player in 2017.

If he was brought in and the Bills didn't draft a qb with a high pick this year it would be a foolish, if not reckless move. I'm in the DC/MD market and there have been numerous stories that the Bills have decided to move on without TT. As you well know rumors are not facts but you know the cliche about smoke and fire. It's funny but most of the response to the rumor outside of the hometown is what is going on there?

We respectfully disagree on the drafting a qb with a high round pick this year. If Whaley let's TT go and he doesn't select a serious qb prospect this year I'm going to join NYC Bills' raucous crowd of vilifying the GM that I have so supported in the past. Enough is enough!

We respectfully disagree on the drafting a qb with a high round pick this year. If Whaley let's TT go and he doesn't select a serious qb prospect this year I'm going to join NYC Bills' raucous crowd of vilifying the GM that I have so supported in the past. Enough is enough!

If it was up to me we would keep Tyrod AND draft a qb at #10.