The millennial question

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us are starting to deal with millennials flooding the workplace.

We've already identified that they're the worst generation.

How do you fix the problem?

great link thanks

the solution is the same as it always has been and always will be: internal development

some ppl call that spiritual development, but that gets confused with god so i want to be careful. you dont need god to become spiritually enlightened. you can get there with many different templates, including religion, secularism, agnosticism, etc. the template doesnt really matter, what matters is how you manifest within that template

lots and lots of great books to learn how to do this. but like that speaker says, it takes dedication and work and is a lifelong process that often is very difficult. no quick fixes, no easy answers. its total self application to the goal of becoming spiritually enlightened throughout your entire life

Us old people need to work on our emotional intelligence*. :death:

* I never heard of it either until I moved to San Francisco.

its something i heard in business school. It made sense at the time and went along with learning about emotional maturity

How would you define emotional intelligence and emotional maturity? I'd be curious to hear how everyone would differ based on application and experience

Edited by Boyst62

What in the world are you guys complaining about?

Millennials are going to be awesome. According to baskin, public school has cured them of their social ills, so they should be ready to enter the workforce gung-ho and ready to work.

Right after their afternoon nap.

Posted before, worth it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPfgsTVTjA&list=RDKHPfgsTVTjA

its something i heard in business school. It made sense at the time and went along with learning about emotional maturity

How would you define emotional intelligence and emotional maturity? I'd be curious to hear how everyone would differ based on application and experience

In all seriousness, it's a useful concept and the emphasis on soft skills is one of the reasons we like the west coast for educating our daughters. If you don't raise girls to know how to understand and control their emotions, they are in for a world of hurt down the road.

But I roll my eyes at the need of employers out here to worry about kissing the asses of over-sensitive 24 year olds.

Us old people need to work on our emotional intelligence*. :death:

* I never heard of it either until I moved to San Francisco.

My last employer was big on that. I was counseled on not having any...so I gave them a doctor's note explaining why.

Not entirely surprising I'm no longer at that job.

Is see your first answers from the board are rolling in! :D:D:D

lol. that was great. thanks for posting it again cuz i didnt see it the first time i guess. im saving that

My last employer was big on that. I was counseled on not having any...so I gave them a doctor's note explaining why.

Not entirely surprising I'm no longer at that job.

try not being such a mean intentionally abusive f**k

lol. that was great. thanks for posting it again cuz i didnt see it the first time i guess. im saving that

[This is an automated response.]

1icr79.jpg

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.61.

What in the world are you guys complaining about?

Millennials are going to be awesome. According to baskin, public school has cured them of their social ills, so they should be ready to enter the workforce gung-ho and ready to work.

Right after their afternoon nap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPfgsTVTjA&list=RDKHPfgsTVTjA

Never said the public schools did....but they are the only ones to take on the kids that cost $25k a year

When Canisius takes a bunch of kids from the fruit belt call me

Edited by baskin

In all seriousness, it's a useful concept and the emphasis on soft skills is one of the reasons we like the west coast for educating our daughters. If you don't raise girls to know how to understand and control their emotions, they are in for a world of hurt down the road.

But I roll my eyes at the need of employers out here to worry about kissing the asses of over-sensitive 24 year olds.

emotional maturity is generally emotionally experience. To learn to control it you need to get !@#$ed a million times over to know you can overcome the bull **** that happens next when your hash tag fails,your skinny jeans get ripped or your cell phone has less than 20% battery. I have literally seen plans fall through a hundred times by people whose cell phone was not going to last them long enough just in case of missing contact.

Just close your eyes and think of those Geico commercials.

If you're DC Tom, you're a mean intentionally abusive f**k. It's what you do

Waah young people suck. Waah.

Sorry they are on your lawn.

Just like every generation.

8qW00_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=starb

Who gave us Trump?

Angry white guys, i.e., PPP.

Millennials wanted Bernie. Settled for votes for Clinton and Johnson.

hes talked himself into that shtick. he can change if he wants to. and he should want to

Good point. Not one he will listen to but valid and insightful at a level that will only get mocked here.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

I agree it was angry white people that gave us Trump, but let's not say that like a large segment of them don't have an excellent reason to be angry. I fought against those people my entire life on Race issues and I've personally witnessed many of them finally abandon their racism only to be continually accused of it by a culture that sees whiteness as racist by default. That's extremely unfair to these people and they shouldn't be subject to that because as a premise it is utterly ridiculous. Even if we just want to go by the legacy of slavery itself there's absolutely no doubt that most of slavery through history including right now today is done by people of color. So this widespread belief among blacks and enabling whites that whites have some tendency to be racist above and beyond any other race is preposterous. And yet that's what most blacks and a great percentage of whites believed in the run-up to this election and kept hammering white people over the head mercilessly. No wonder they were Furious

Who gave us Trump?

Good point. Not one he will listen to but valid and insightful at a level that will only get mocked here.

Everyone voted in their self-interest. For once.

Who gave us Trump?

would you consider me an angry white guy? What genre am I?

I agree it was angry white people that gave us Trump, but let's not say that like a large segment of them don't have an excellent reason to be angry. I fought against those people my entire life on Race issues and I've personally witnessed many of them finally abandon their racism only to be continually accused of it by a culture that sees whiteness as racist by default. That's extremely unfair to these people and they shouldn't be subject to that because as a premise it is utterly ridiculous. Even if we just want to go by the legacy of slavery itself there's absolutely no doubt that most of slavery through history including right now today is done by people of color. So this widespread belief among blacks and enabling whites that whites have some tendency to be racist above and beyond any other race is preposterous. And yet that's what most blacks and a great percentage of whites believed in the run-up to this election and kept hammering white people over the head mercilessly. No wonder they were Furious

is it fair to say angry blacks, Cuck & guilty feeling whites gave us Obama?

Your double standard is sad. Its as said a million times. A poor impoverished black is a victim. An illegal low income Hispanic is exploited. A poor white gun owner is an angry racist.

Who gave us Trump?

This is laughable analysis. Laughable.

The largest contingent of Bernie voters were... who? White guys.

Who was by and large the "angriest" segment of the three major candidate's camps? Bernie Bros. If you doubt that, then you never left your house during the election or set foot in NYC, SF, LA, DC, or any of the major urban centers. My lady, who is a HRC supporter and was running for local office out here was accosted daily by Bernie Bros and Gals for wearing a Hillary pin.

Saying "angry white guys" got us Trump while Bernie supporters voted Johnson or Clinton is just plain false. Do you realize how many "never Hillary" voters there were in Sanders camp and what their demographics were?

Of course not. Cause if you did, you never would have made such a ridiculous statement. :lol:

Everyone voted in their self-interest. For once.

No, Chan. Only angry white guys voted Trump. Ignore the 53% of white women who voted for him. Hell, just ignore all facts, logic, and reason and reduce it down to an explanation that makes no sense whatsoever (but makes you feel superior) and then you'll be thinking like BF.

Trump's biggest demo win was with old white men. And if you didn't see anger in the voting base supporting Trump, you didn't pay attention.

Take the anecdotal survey here. Tom, Jim, Nanker, Dev, etc. Angry old honkeys.

Never said mellenials weren't angry. But good straw man.

Trump's biggest demo win was with old white men. And if you didn't see anger in the voting base supporting Trump, you didn't pay attention.

Take the anecdotal survey here. Tom, Jim, Nanker, Dev, etc. Angry old honkeys.

Never said mellenials weren't angry. But good straw man.

Laughable analysis, as I said. Anecdotal evidence isn't real evidence.

Trump won because the Dems ran an establishment candidate in a change year. It wasn't angry white guys alone who brought us Trump -- those were on both sides of the spectrum and they didn't tip the scales in favor of Trump more than white women did. It was Clinton's own hubris that elevated Trump because she thought she could beat him. She was wrong.

But we've seen facts and thoughtful analysis aren't your strongest suits.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Trump won because the Dems ran an establishment candidate in a change year. It wasn't angry white guys alone who brought us Trump -- those were on both sides of the spectrum and they didn't tip the scales in favor of Trump more than white women did. It was Clinton's own hubris that elevated Trump because she thought she could beat him. She was wrong.

Trump won because he alienated fewer voters than Hillary.

The reasons are many. Hillary was an arrogant woman who ignored rural USA.

Really? My anecdote about 4 posters here doesn't extend to the entire country. Thanks for that. No one can accuse you of being one of the sharper tools in the shed.

There were many reasons Trump won. But in a thread filled with old white guys talking about age groups, I can keep it Captain Kangaroo simple for you: What demo of sex and age did Trump win the most?

Back to millennials - just like everyone else, they'll figure it out once they get out into the workplace, begin to raise families, and learn what life is really like. Nothing will set your head straight like a good dose of the real world and having to actually navigate through it.

BS

Explain why.

Hilly alienated Bernie voters too. Lots of votes that just didn't show up for either candidate.

Back to millennials - just like everyone else, they'll figure it out once they get out into the workplace, begin to raise families, and learn what life is really like. Nothing will set your head straight like a good dose of the real world and having to actually navigate through it.

Exactly. What under 25 year old ever sounded smart?

Everyone is a work in progress. Idealism is great. It is the hope that fuels innovation and creativity. The actual creation takes place in reality though.

Cheer the millennials. We were all them once.

She was wrong in many ways.

It was the impatient people that wanted to pump out the flooded basement too fast (ie: drain The Swamp) that brought us Trump.

And when you do that... You run the risk of a foundation crack, failure.

Jesus Christ! We have a Republican boot licking Congress & a system w/a short bench. This leaves watchdog lawyers and a brave Federal judiciary in Seattle from keeping the foundation from buckling due to the sloopy and careless pump out! And... There are no signs of the sloppy governing abating.

We get what we vote for and we all knew what we were voting for. It wasn't like we weren't warned. When something goes horribly wrong, we as Americans are ALL to blame. You, me, ALL.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The reasons are many.

So you admit your analysis is laughable then. It wasn't just "angry white guys" who brought us Trump.

Really? My anecdote about 4 posters here doesn't extend to the entire country. Thanks for that. No one can accuse you of being one of the sharper tools in the shed.

You're the one who offered it as proof of your thesis. Like I said, your analysis is laughable.

There were many reasons Trump won. But in a thread filled with old white guys talking about age groups, I can keep it Captain Kangaroo simple for you: What demo of sex and age did Trump win the most?

So you're just talking out your ass now because there are a few white guys in this thread?

Trump won the white male vote by the same margin as Romney... yet Romney didn't win.

Keep digging.

Yup. Because she represented the establishment in a change year.

We get what we vote for and we all knew what we were voting for. It wasn't like we weren't warned. When something goes horribly wrong, we as Americans are ALL to blame. You, me, ALL.

Not according to BF. According to him it's just "angry white guys" fault. :lol:

Edited by Deranged Rhino

That sums it up pretty well right there.

Everything else is details as to why she alienated more voters.

And those details are important, no doubt. But there's a fundamental inability of many people to accept that simple fact: she alienated more voters than Trump. Across the board - independents, liberals, and conservatives.

So you admit your analysis is laughable then. It wasn't just "angry white guys" who brought us Trump.

You're the one who offered it as proof of your thesis. Like I said, your analysis is laughable.

So you're just talking out your ass now because there are a few white guys in this thread?

Trump won the white male vote by the same margin as Romney... yet Romney didn't win.

Keep digging.

Yup. Because she represented the establishment in a change year.

Not according to BF. According to him it's just "angry white guys" fault. :lol:

Angry white guys like...me. :blink:

Everything else is details as to why she alienated more voters.

And those details are important, no doubt. But there's a fundamental inability of many people to accept that simple fact: she alienated more voters than Trump. Across the board - independents, liberals, and conservatives.

Angry white guys like...me. :blink:

You get a pass. You've always been angry.

:-)

Boy Blunder: I offered a lot of thoughts on why Hillary lost to Trump in other threads. In this thread attacking young people, where the star analysts are angry white guys, age and sex was the counterpoint to show which demo most supported Trump.

Hope you can comprehend that in between the Captain's ping pong balls bouncing around in your mind.

One of these days, you should give us your 9-11 theories. You keep dodging on that. I wonder why.

Boy Blunder: I offered a lot of thoughts on why Hillary lost to Trump in other threads. In this thread attacking young people, where the star analysts are angry white guys, age and sex was the counterpoint to show which demo most supported Trump.

Hope you can comprehend that in between the Captain's ping pong balls bouncing around in your mind.

One of these days, you should give us your 9-11 theories. You keep dodging on that. I wonder why.

If I may chime in. You're right. Funny thing, from how I viewed it, the OP video wasn't even attacking young people... Which you know of course. How the thread turned into an attack on Millennials is beyond me. But... Look who their parents are, there is a reason why Millennials are also called "Echo Boomers." In my eyes, an attack on young people is an attack one's own generation.

Anyway... Carry on. I agree with mostly everything you are putting out. I am sorry that may scare you. It is what it is. :-)