The millennial question

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump's biggest demo win was with old white men. And if you didn't see anger in the voting base supporting Trump, you didn't pay attention.

Take the anecdotal survey here. Tom, Jim, Nanker, Dev, etc. Angry old honkeys.

Never said mellenials weren't angry. But good straw man.

From your anecdotal survey, cite one of my posts that indicated I had or ever intended to vote for Trump

Go ahead, I'll wait

Azalin nails it. As Gen X and Boomers get older they start despising Millenials, just like the Greatest Generation (rightfully) despised them. It's daddy issues all the way down.

As an X'er stuck in the middle of that argument, it has been my observation that there are good and bad apples in both. I've met plenty of special snowflake dried up granola hippie boomers and plenty of hard working decent millenials

Azalin nails it. As Gen X and Boomers get older they start despising Millenials, just like the Greatest Generation (rightfully) despised them. It's daddy issues all the way down.

I wish that wasn't the case. I (GenX) don't depise them... I depise Boommers though... Just a wee bit. ;-) ;-) My parents are not Boomers.

Boomers... Just a shear numbers and acting selfish thing. The "me" generation. And... You really see it manifest itself in our current prez.

From your anecdotal survey, cite one of my posts that indicated I had or ever intended to vote for Trump

Go ahead, I'll wait

As an X'er stuck in the middle of that argument, it has been my observation that there are good and bad apples in both. I've met plenty of special snowflake dried up granola hippie boomers and plenty of hard working decent millenials

Exactly. I am caught in middle too being an early Xer, but not a Boomer. You gotta be closer to a Yer or Millenn?

http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I wish that wasn't the case. I (GenX) don't depise them... I depise Boommers though... Just a wee bit. ;-) ;-) My parents are not Boomers.

Boomers... Just a shear numbers and acting selfish thing. The "me" generation. And... You really see it manifest itself in our current prez.

Exactly. I am caught in middle too being an early Xer, but not a Boomer. You gotta be closer to a Yer or Millenn?

http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Generation Y. Thought it went Greatest to Boomer to Xer to Millenial

How is Generation X a 10 year generation but Y is 17 years? And wtf is Boomer I and Boomer II :lol:

Not sure that site's generation list is quite accurate, I always thought Xers went into the early 80s

Boy Blunder: I offered a lot of thoughts on why Hillary lost to Trump in other threads. In this thread attacking young people, where the star analysts are angry white guys, age and sex was the counterpoint to show which demo most supported Trump.

Hope you can comprehend that in between the Captain's ping pong balls bouncing around in your mind.

One of these days, you should give us your 9-11 theories. You keep dodging on that. I wonder why.

You attempted a laughable analysis and got called out on it for being laughable. That's on you, not me. You didn't do it to highlight which demo supported Trump, you flat out said "angry white guys" brought us Trump. That's false -- regardless of the thread you're posting in. Again, facts and reasonable analysis isn't your strong suit.

Step your game up and do better... or you can keep making stuff up about me in a desperate attempt to shift the focus from your simple mindedness. It's working great for you so far. :lol:

Go ahead, I'll wait

Shhh... don't you get it? He was just making a social commentary on the thread, he wasn't serious when he said what he said.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Generation Y. Thought it went Greatest to Boomer to Xer to Millenial

How is Generation X a 10 year generation but Y is 17 years? And wtf is Boomer I and Boomer II :lol:

Not sure that site's generation list is quite accurate, I always thought Xers went into the early 80s

Yeah... Much debate.

Xers are hard to pin down, so much societal change say from 1964 to 1980.

I can see the difference between me (1968) and guys at work just a few years older or younger. Again so much in society was changing. Major changes. Probably why Xers are a small group. They were being born during that cultural "sea change."

Millenns are basically kids of Boomers. But there were the early Boomers having kids young. My cousins are such.

I can definitely tell diff between Boomer I & II. Through my career, I have worked with them all... From Greatest on up.

Millennials, technically, are born between 1981-2004 -- at least according to advertisers.

Millennials, technically, are born between 1981-2004 -- at least according to advertisers.

Yeah there is blending here. My son, 1998 behaves more like an Milenn... Daughter, 2002, is different. You wouldn't think those 4 years have a bearing.

Same with me and my siblings. 1968 vs. 1964/1963. I mean, I still had few years in school where we had "air raid" drills. I remember asking a teacher about it. She replied: "In case communists attack us."

Now look @ me... I am a commie! ;-)

But... I can see difference in managerial style say with my original Greatest Gen boss through to my Boommer II boss.

I think about my parents... Too young to fight WWII... But too old to get caught up in all the hippy bullschit. They were too busy working, raising a family.

We used to have kids on street that were coming of age during early 1970s, late 1960s... My mother and parents could relate, but they were distant with their establishment take on things, but understood the angst. Fast forward to 1980s, my mother caught up with one of the kids, hippies, that lived on our street... successful businessman. I think they crossed paths while in Tops or somewhere. Anyway, they got to talking and how they remembered the advice my mother would give back in the day. How it all started to make sense to them now that they have children of their own.

It really does take a village. Cringe all you want.

Who gave us Trump?

Angry white guys, i.e., PPP.

This is ridiculous. I don't remember there being a lot of angry white guys at the polls voting for Trump. In fact, I don't remember seeing many angry white guys at all.

At least not until Trump won.

Then I saw a lot of this:

20170124_limo.jpgeddy-brock-attacked-770x514.jpg

kill-trump-770x560.jpgwells-fargo-770x503.jpg

Now THAT'S angry!

If only Hillary went to visit them in rural USA.

This is ridiculous. I don't remember there being a lot of angry white guys at the polls voting for Trump. In fact, I don't remember seeing many angry white guys at all.

At least not until Trump won.

Then I saw a lot of this:

20170124_limo.jpgeddy-brock-attacked-770x514.jpg

kill-trump-770x560.jpgwells-fargo-770x503.jpg

Now THAT'S angry!

If only Hillary went to visit them in rural USA.

Fake news!

Sorry... I had to. ;-)

Trump won because he alienated fewer voters than Hillary.

Lots of reasons go into a win and a loss. It's tough for a party to win three in a row. Trump in many ways won for same reason Carter, Clinton, W, and Obama won.

I think about my parents... Too young to fight WWII... But too old to get caught up in all the hippy bullschit. They were too busy working, raising a family.

We used to have kids on street that were coming of age during early 1970s, late 1960s... My mother and parents could relate, but they were distant with their establishment take on things, but understood the angst. Fast forward to 1980s, my mother caught up with one of the kids, hippies, that lived on our street... successful businessman. I think they crossed paths while in Tops or somewhere. Anyway, they got to talking and how they remembered the advice my mother would give back in the day. How it all started to make sense to them now that they have children of their own.

It really does take a village. Cringe all you want.

Our society produces a lot of bad 18 year olds but lots of great 30 year olds! People change a lot in their 20's

Lots of reasons go into a win and a loss. It's tough for a party to win three in a row. Trump in many ways won for same reason Carter, Clinton, W, and Obama won.

Tough for Dem to win 12... We are deeply conservative country. I am lib and understand that conservative correction.

Only way to do it is no term limit, like FDR. Obama would have won again.

Which is strange... Because some people who voted for Obama voted Trump! Polar opposites. Shows how idiotic & effed up people's thinking really is!

Again, I do see the conservative social correction, but you do it with an actual ideology! Not with a rudderless ship!

Which is strange... Because some people who voted for Obama voted Trump! Polar opposites. Shows how idiotic & effed up people's thinking really is!

i dont see that as strange

a ton of whites voted for obama to demonstrate they had actually turned the racism corner and wanted to show they could vote for a perceived black man (the only two combination of races that we would allow one to be ignored). if you didnt grow up deep in the heart of redneck crackerland you might not realize how huge that is for those ppl but it represents a seismic shift in their racist transformation

so after finally summon the courage to change their decades long unacceptable view towards blacks, what happens during his terms? they have to constantly be told by blacks, enabling whites, and the media that they are automatic racists no matter what they do. naturally this pisses them off royally, and if you think about it you would be pissed off too

so when trump comes along and represents the polar opposite of the political correctness and special rules that only apply to blacks they jump at the chance to vote their disenfranchisement into him

pretty straight forward

i dont see that as strange

a ton of whites voted for obama to demonstrate they had actually turned the racism corner and wanted to show they could vote for a perceived black man (the only two combination of races that we would allow one to be ignored). if you didnt grow up deep in the heart of redneck crackerland you might not realize how huge that is for those ppl but it represents a seismic shift in their racist transformation

so after finally summon the courage to change their decades long unacceptable view towards blacks, what happens during his terms? they have to constantly be told by blacks, enabling whites, and the media that they are automatic racists no matter what they do. naturally this pisses them off royally, and if you think about it you would be pissed off too

so when trump comes along and represents the polar opposite of the political correctness and special rules that only apply to blacks they jump at the chance to vote their disenfranchisement into him

pretty straight forward

Almost laughable at the insecure excuses being made.

Thanks for reminding me again, that is very very strange. You just described people with no compass and validated their insecurities.

wow. you gotta be f**king kidding me

that is what happened. and its a completely reasonable analysis and explaination

with all due respect, you desperately need to educate yourself on this. youre certainly not alone, most americans are where you are. it still doesnt excuse the reality that you simply have no idea what youre talking about

fortunately these realizations are inevitable. but you will be doing a ton of damage to yourself, others around you, and the vital b/w relationship as long as you hold those antiquated and intellectually indefensible ideas

this is actually a microcosm of the exact problems we face on race right now

there is an automatic knee jerk reaction like we saw in exiled here, that if youre white and you offer completely valid commentary on blackness that isnt entirely positive you are immediately accused of being a racist. ppl will mob up to try to shout you down so that they prove to everybody in earshot how incredibly enlightened they are on blacks

is it possible that any single race could exist without having issues? are blacks immune from the reality that faces every other race in that there are strengths and weaknesses in each race that evolve over time? can we not point to both the enormous good and enormous bad that whiteness, or any race for that matter, has been involved in through history?

so what they makes blacks completely immune to criticism? isnt that thoroughly irrational a belief to have? are you not doing enormous damage to the b/w relationship and all race relationships if you elevate special rules to only one race that apply to no other race?

stop assuming and enforcing the ridiculous premise that blacks are wholly incapable of ever being criticized for their own brand of dysfunctional cultural norms. we can do that with every other race, it is only healthy to admit that we can do it with blackness as well

this is actually a microcosm of the exact problems we face on race right now

there is an automatic knee jerk reaction like we saw in exiled here, that if youre white and you offer completely valid commentary on blackness that isnt entirely positive you are immediately accused of being a racist. ppl will mob up to try to shout you down so that they prove to everybody in earshot how incredibly enlightened they are on blacks

is it possible that any single race could exist without having issues? are blacks immune from the reality that faces every other race in that there are strengths and weaknesses in each race that evolve over time? can we not point to both the enormous good and enormous bad that whiteness, or any race for that matter, has been involved in through history?

so what they makes blacks completely immune to criticism? isnt that thoroughly irrational a belief to have? are you not doing enormous damage to the b/w relationship and all race relationships if you elevate special rules to only one race that apply to no other race?

stop assuming and enforcing the ridiculous premise that blacks are wholly incapable of ever being criticized for their own brand of dysfunctional cultural norms. we can do that with every other race, it is only healthy to admit that we can do it with blackness as well

Your obsession here with race is actually kinda creepy.

Almost laughable at the insecure excuses being made.

Thanks for reminding me again, that is very very strange. You just described people with no compass and validated their insecurities.

Huh?

It's not about insecurities. It has real world ramifications. It's hardly "sticks and stones" at this point. Get your head out of the sand.

Buck up little buddy, this is more your speed

Still waiting on your 9-11 theories.

White flag. DR just tore you up. Live to fight another day.

So if I understand this thread correctly... anyone 35 and under sucks? If so, what does it say about their parenting (Generally Baby Boomers and Generation X)?

Nothing.

The great secret about parenting is that everything you teach and tell your kids is based on your own life experiences. From the high-school dropout who started a small business and worked his way up to middle class, the 9-5 factory worker whose collecting his pension or the college-grad mid level manager, they told their kids the fundamental truths that they learned throughout their lives.

The problem is that the world changes. The advice that they get is not always correct. College isn't the gateway for success it used to be. The majority of the parents out there working the same jobs at the same companies for decades fail to recognize the change in demand.

However, "not always correct" doesn't mean some things still don't apply. More kids are feeling the long-term effects than ever with the increasing college debt, but if you work hard, do better, get as marketable as you can, and don't settle for dead-end jobs, you'll be okay these days.

Some kids get screwed because they thought it would all work out if they got a degree in anything. Problem is, there's a fundamental lack in accountability for these kids. That's not a problem with the parents. That's a problem with a generation who demands the world change around them, then adapt.

That and it's all overblown, like anything. Social media allows us to hear the crazies more than ever. And it's not an accurate representation.

Edited by FireChan

1985, by everything I've heard. 79-83 falls in to a xer. I've seen social breakdowns of 78-84/85 as generation y as the first generation of new mellinium.

I'm an 81er and been told I was a y all my life growing up

But he does bring up the carp thing a lot.

Over 10 years now... ;-) :-P

Because the enviro knuckleheads are off their rocker. ;-)

1985, by everything I've heard. 79-83 falls in to a xer. I've seen social breakdowns of 78-84/85 as generation y as the first generation of new mellinium.

I'm an 81er and been told I was a y all my life growing up

Holy phuck... Only 13 years separate us. Watch out for those 40s. Your testosterone is gonna fall through the floor! Watch the weight and the beer belly!

:-P :-P

again, special rules

you can talk about any issue repeatedly, make it your signature issue, and everything is fine

but talk about race issues more than what makes ppl comfortable (ie. not at all) and suddenly youre obsessed and its creepy

your irrational sensitivities IS the issue now

interesting how its not creepy to roll out the abusive tom bot every other post

again, special rules

you can talk about any issue repeatedly, make it your signature issue, and everything is fine

but talk about race issues more than what makes ppl comfortable (ie. not at all) and suddenly youre obsessed and its creepy

your irrational sensitivities IS the issue now

interesting how its not creepy to roll out the abusive tom bot every other post

You preach race issues in nearly every single post while simultaneously talking down to other posters. Get over yourself.

wow. you gotta be f**king kidding me

that is what happened. and its a completely reasonable analysis and explaination

with all due respect, you desperately need to educate yourself on this. youre certainly not alone, most americans are where you are. it still doesnt excuse the reality that you simply have no idea what youre talking about

fortunately these realizations are inevitable. but you will be doing a ton of damage to yourself, others around you, and the vital b/w relationship as long as you hold those antiquated and intellectually indefensible ideas

[This is an automated response.]

You're an idiot.

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.61.

Hey, what consenting adults and carp do behind closed doors is no business of ours.

Ha!

It is our infrastructure money, and a proposed/allocated TON of it, "hard" @ work on many not so glamourous missions. ;-)

It should be everybody's business. People need to take the time and realize what is working for them behind the scenes. Even if it is crappy carp kink! ;-)

Ha!

It is our infrastructure money, and a proposed/allocated TON of it, "hard" @ work on many not so glamourous missions. ;-)

It should be everybody's business. People need to take the time and realize what is working for them behind the scenes. Even if it is crappy carp kink! ;-)

Well, if consenting humans and carp are fine with it, I'd hardly call it "work", but hey - if you can get paid for it too, then more power to you!

:beer: