Report: "Tyrod unwilling to take less to remain with bills"

His present contract for 2 years is $40M guaranteed
2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017
Remaining $9.75M of 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2018

No, that is just not an option paying that guy that kind of money. IMO. He won't get a similar contract in FA, IMO either.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me also point out another reason the Bills totally messed up by giving Tyrod this extension:

If the Bills had not offered Tyrod an extension, and let him walk this offseason (as it appear they will), they would've been in line to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018. Instead, we are now forced to cut him, rather then have a player on an expired contract which is the difference between a 3rd round pick and no 3rd round pick.

So on top of giving him a free $6 or $7 million in '16 (mistake #1), having a huge amount of cash required in '17 to continue the extension (mistake #2), they also cost themselves a 3rd round comp. pick in '18 by making this a standard contract extension rather than a team option (mistake #3). A team like the Patriots who are much smarter than our Bills would've made the extension a team option, that way if we declined it Tyrod would've still been considered an expired contract FA and thus part of the comp. pick formula. Instead the moronic Front Office we have, blew it, by not understanding how to structure this deal to ensure we'd get a comp. pick if we didn't want him moving forward. Go look at how the Pats structured Darelle Revis' deal back when they signed him...and see how they received a 3rd round pick for him a year after they declined a massive $20M team option and you'll begin to see the difference between this organization and that organization. It really is a joke.

Edited by Estro

Agreed. Horrible contract on so many levels. In exchange for giving Taylor $6.8m last year they didn't have to, the Bills gave themselves the privilege of having to commit $30m dollars to him this year or letting him walk without even getting a comp pick in return.

perhaps they were expecting a increase in production in year 2 of starting

in which he led a 7th scoring offense in the nfl despite all the injuries

Why would you pay him more than you have to? Most they were obligated to pay him for 2016 and 2017 was $3m plus the franchise tag for 2017 which ended up at $21.5m. So the Bills go out and structure a contract that makes Bills commit $40m to Taylor if they want to keep him longer than a year. This is how losing organizations operate.

Why would you pay him more than you have to? Most they were obligated to pay him for 2016 and 2017 was $3m plus the franchise tag for 2017 which ended up at $21.5m. So the Bills go out and structure a contract that makes Bills commit $40m to Taylor if they want to keep him longer than a year. This is how losing organizations operate.

They paid him and extra $6M in 2016 because he earned it. That type of thing goes a long way with players and agents. The Bills are in the business of recruiting. It didn't hurt their cap at all. The money in 2016 was a good thing.

The contract extension was a chance to get him below market value. If they would have tagged him Gilmore would have definitely been gone. The extension is about $6M of cap dollars less then the franchise tag. That was the reasoning on it. As it turns out the contract is still below market value but do they want to commit to him for at least 2 more years?

Absolutely no shot of Tyrod Taylor getting $27.5 M in cash next year from any other team but the Bills. I love how everybody says Tyrod can get the same if not more on the open market. Its not going to happen folks. Can he get a deal that has a lot of funny money on the backend that looks like the contract he has now? Absolutely. But he's not getting $27.5 M in year 1. Tyrod defines average, middle of the road, bridge QB w/e you want to call it and those QBs DO NOT get $27.5M in cash in 1 year. Any team that decides to do that is making a serious mistake.

Thank you. Finally!

what happens if he has a breakout season in 2016? now we are either franchising him or competing with some oyher team with a Ton of cap room

what happens if he has a breakout season in 2016? now we are either franchising him or competing with some oyher team with a Ton of cap room

Then you work out a long term deal. But he didn't, there were a lot of variables that attributed to his poor play but the guy just doesn't see the field... and you can't teach that at this point. He sat behind Flacco for 4 years and still can't lead an open WR. He can go through progression but even that is hit and miss. At his age and level giving a running QB a long term deal is tantamount to throwing money away. He's an excellent backup but not THE guy.

I got a feeling we will be very similar to KC, great defense and ST. Solid running game and a QB that can move the chains and plays the odds. Tyrod may be able to fit that mold but I see more of a guy in a heavy west coast system.

Then you work out a long term deal. But he didn't, there were a lot of variables that attributed to his poor play but the guy just doesn't see the field... and you can't teach that at this point. He sat behind Flacco for 4 years and still can't lead an open WR. He can go through progression but even that is hit and miss. At his age and level giving a running QB a long term deal is tantamount to throwing money away. He's an excellent backup but not THE guy.

I got a feeling we will be very similar to KC, great defense and ST. Solid running game and a QB that can move the chains and plays the odds. Tyrod may be able to fit that mold but I see more of a guy in a heavy west coast system.

you make it sound like we just throw him a contract and a pen and he would just sign it.....what if he is pissed that he had to play on that peanuts contract and jumps to another team

the bills took a calculated risk....the offense was productive but they didnt make the playoffs

you make it sound like we just throw him a contract and a pen and he would just sign it.....what if he is pissed that he had to play on that peanuts contract and jumps to another team

the bills took a calculated risk....the offense was productive but they didnt make the playoffs

Fair market value John. He obviously has a number he believes he's worth and so do the Bills. The courting phase is over, what you see is what you get at this point. There maybe moments up and down that surprise the fan base but growth is done. I don't dislike the guy, like I said great back up.

If he doesn't stay, neither will Lorax, which is fine since he's aging. I think now is the time to cut him, promote Cardale and wait till the draft of 2018 to draft someone, unless we can get Kizer or Watson. But what is the best QB prospect this season? I think we should wait till 2018. But if we DO draft a QB, what do we do for the WR position?

I think TT is out now, cuz the Bills don't want to keep him for years to come. that's the feeling i have.

How the redskins handled cousins last year was the proper way to go. What leverage did Taylor have last year? Bills had him for at least 2 more years for at most $3m plus $21.5m. The absolute most they should've paid over the first 2 years was $24.5m. Instead we gave him $40m over the first 2 years. Now he's unwilling to take less and I don't blame him. Bills front office are morons.

None of this discussion is worth sh??.

If it were true surely Vic Carrucci or Jerry Sullivan or at the very least 26corner blitz would be all knowing since they are right on top of all things Bills, are true insiders (or so they let you think they are)...so if they have not held their "presser" then this is total speculation.

Hold the presses until the truth is spoken by our local Bills "experts"

sorry for the sarcasm, but couldn't resist. Oh how we over react to some reported speculation.

I think that was already answered. If he had a breakout season, which he didn't, we would've franchised him for $6M less then what we currently owe him. We also would've saved $6.5M last year by not giving him an unnecessary raise, which could've been rolled over to this year.

So for those that argue the extension at least made the cap hits more palatable.....WRONG again. The $6.5M we would've rolled over had we not given him an extension would've put us in the same place cap wise, all while saving $12.5M in cash over the 2 years.

When you look at this extension it was an absolute disaster, and for those that try and defend it, you're clearly not thinking objectively. And to Kirby's point that Tyrod "deserved" the raise. What Tyrod deserved is to pick what contract he wanted when he was a FA in '15. He chose the contract the Bills put on the table, which probably gave him the best chance to start. The Bills in no way owed him anything on top of what he agreed to as a FA. Unfortuantey, we seem to have a GM and Front office that uses the same flawed logic, and it's created the most predictable of situations: cutting an okay/average player because they were morons and paid him like a really good player.

Couple that crap contract with them signing Dareus to a massive $$$ deal with no language about smoking pot, which he already proved he will.........and you're starting to see how incompetent this organization is. We all see the losing on the field, it's much more obvious. But the losing off the field, as an organization, when it comes to contracts and player development, while not as obvious, is equally pathetic.

Edited by Estro

Fake noos. I got an NFL Mobile Alert that said he's willing to renegotiate. Friday I think it was - came here to see what reaction it would have and got this crazy, regurgitating thread.

My prediction:

- will take a lot less to stay a Bill

- to buy him another WR and rookie QB to compete against

- will WIN said competition

- and a playoff birth

- with a real Defense, OC, and a shiny new WR.

- and hearts of Bills fans again

Ingrates. Dude's been $ as a Bill - taking peanuts only wanting to start - still doesn't care about $ and will prove it.

Fake noos. I got an NFL Mobile Alert that said he's willing to renegotiate. Friday I think it was - came here to see what reaction it would have and got this crazy, regurgitating thread.

My prediction:

- will take a lot less to stay a Bill

- to buy him another WR and rookie QB to compete against

- will WIN said competition

- and a playoff birth

- with a real Defense, OC, and a shiny new WR.

- and hearts of Bills fans again

Ingrates. Dude's been $ as a Bill - taking peanuts only wanting to start - still doesn't care about $ and will prove it.

the report that he willing to restructure his deal is not to take less money, but to lessen the cap hit this year. He would still get all of his gtd money, it would just be later in the deal. That may still end up allowing the Bills more flexibility with the rest of the roster and accomplish what you say, but the original report that he wouldn't take "less money" to stay on this team is accurate, it seems. And I can't imagine why he would take a pay cut. Either the team concludes he's the starter for the foreseeable future and pays him, or he's not and they wish him luck in Cleveland or wherever and move on. Edited by YoloinOhio