Bills met this week about Taylor; it may be up to McDermott

YoloinOhio

It's funny to me that people want to keep losing so they can maybe get better down the road. But they've been losing for years...so have the Sabres for that matter/ and not getting appreciably better.

That road has ended for me. I want to win now. I'm guessing so does Pegs and McDermott. If TT is their best chance at several wins then keep him for goodness sake and get more players to surround him..especially another solid WR and TE. Get over the hump and make the playoffs.. Then we can talk about winning the Championship. They need to make the playoffs first.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 6-10 would be bad enough. A Browns like season 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13 perhaps. 4-12 would be borderline in my opinion. Only an embarrassingly horrible year would get him fired if he stuck with current personnel.

Let's put it this way -

Do the Bills have better odds of making the playoffs in either of the next 2 years by building on what they have right now or by going with a rookie QB and rebuilding the team around that rookie?

I think their odds are far better by building on what they have right now.

Whaley says he wants to win a Superbowl. And of course he does. But deep down he knows that this team has to at least make the playoffs very soon (2 years at most) or else his head will meet the chopping block. Getting into the playoffs buys him extra years.

Buffalo: Sanctuary city for mediocrity since, well, forever.

Per Carucci...

@viccarucci

#Bills' brass began meeting during Super Bowl Week to determine Tyrod Taylor's future.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/08/bills-brass-met-since-last-week-decide-taylors-future/

I love how Carucci makes obvious stories up in his head and pretends he has someone on the inside giving him information.

We know better, Vic. There's nothing in this article that anyone here couldn't have written.

I love how Carucci makes obvious stories up in his head and pretends he has someone on the inside giving him information.

We know better, Vic. There's nothing in this article that anyone here couldn't have written.

i guess I assumed it was Whaley's call, with input from McD. This made it sound like Whaley will defer the entire decision to McD. It may just be me that had that impression.

i guess I assumed it was Whaley's call, with input from McD. This made it sound like Whaley will defer the entire decision to McD. It may just be me that had that impression.

Why would the Bills hire a head coach and praise him both publicly and privately...just to turn around and not let him and his staff determine what to do about the most valuable position in sports?

That would make no sense whatsoever.

Why would the Bills hire a head coach and praise him both publicly and privately...just to turn around and not let him and his staff determine what to do about the most valuable position in sports?

That would make no sense whatsoever.

Just going by Whaley having control over the roster

Just going by Whaley having control over the roster

I think it's reasonable to suggest that a key component of the HC interview was whether McDermott would have a significant -- if not final -- say in who his QB will be.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that a key component of the HC interview was whether McDermott would have a significant -- if not final -- say in who his QB will be.

I can honestly say I don't ever remember wanting an answer on a Bills related question more than who our QB will be going forward.

Vic loses credibility here:

"In fact, there was a push for rookie quarterback Cardale Jones to supplant Taylor as the starter for the final three or four games of the season, even though the Bills had yet to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn were said to have pushed back hard enough for Taylor to remain in the No. 1 role."

He is saying that Whaley pushed to have Cardale start the last 3 or 4 games.

Yet, when Whaley was asked about it after the Jet's game in his press conference, Whaley said that if the Bills were still in the playoff hunt, then Tyrod would have started against the Jets.

That pretty much contradicts what Vic is suggesting.

Cardale with 4 weeks left was asked about starting and his own words I'm not ready to start yet- and we saw that

So if it's really up to McDermott and he decides to keep TT, I sure hope we bring in viable competition in FA/trade or draft one relatively high to compete as well so he's not just handed the starting job. It should be an open QB competition, as much as I am tired of them around here. The only way to stop holding these every other season is to find your guy, and we haven't found him yet.

I don't care how much TT makes, which isn't even that much for a QB. I just want the best QB we can feasibly get on the field for the games and I'm not convinced that he's it.

So if it's really up to McDermott and he decides to keep TT, I sure hope we bring in viable competition in FA/trade or draft one relatively high to compete as well so he's not just handed the starting job. It should be an open QB competition, as much as I am tired of them around here. The only way to stop holding these every other season is to find your guy, and we haven't found him yet.

I don't care how much TT makes, which isn't even that much for a QB. I just want the best QB we can feasibly get on the field for the games and I'm not convinced that he's it.

just a question out of curiosity. say they do go with the contract or even an adjusted contract and you know he has been the starter for the last two seasons and by signing the contract, a basically middle of the pack level contract, why would they have a competition of any kind assuming they draft a prospect who will likely sit a season or two and keep Jones?

competition between Taylor, Jones and draft prospect?

now, if he were not to go with the contract and moves on they will have to bring in at least two more QBs assuming they cut ties with Manuel, then you would have good reason for a 3-way competition.

where do you get the idea "not just handed the starting job" when he is/will be considered the starter if they go forward with the contract?

just curious

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

just a question out of curiosity. say they do go with the contract or even an adjusted contract and you know he has been the starter for the last two seasons and by signing the contract, a basically middle of the pack level contract, why would they have a competition of any kind assuming they draft a prospect who will likely sit a season or two and keep Jones?

competition between Taylor, Jones and draft prospect?

now, if he were not to go with the contract and moves on they will have to bring in at least two more QBs assuming they cut ties with Manuel, then you would have good reason for a 3-way competition.

where do you get the idea "not just handed the starting job" when he is/will be considered the starter if they go forward with the contract?

Because best player plays. That is what happened with Russell Wilson in Seattle his rookie year. He was not supposed to start but he won the job.

just curious

If Whaley doesn't like any of the available QB's where the Bills pick in the draft, then I would expect him to pass entirely. Chances are there is only one or two QB's in the draft that the Bills would want to take a shot on. And if one of those guys isn't there at the draft position the Bills are willing to spend on him, then he isn't going to take one.

And what free agent would be provide honest open competition for Tyrod? Just wondering.

I know a lot of fans want the Bills to draft a QB this year at some point no matter what. I just think that is irrational thinking. Whaley should only draft one if he thinks that QB has a reasonably high percentage chance (compared to a typical drafted QB) at becoming a franchise player. If his available options don't meet that criteria, it would be a waste of a pick when there are many needs on this team in addition to the QB position.

Because best player plays. That is what happened with Russell Wilson in Seattle his rookie year. He was not supposed to start but he won the job.

thank you for your input but to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay him middle of the pack starter money if he were to lose a competition to either a 2nd year 3rd stringer or drafterd rookie? I know some are high on Watson (using as merely an example) based on his college level of play but I see him struggling like he did in the first half of the championship game against bama once he has to face nfl defenses. not saying he couldn't be a decent QB, not saying he will be either but chances are real good he (or any rookie) will struggle. that said, I really don't see a drafted rookie or Jones beating out Taylor in a competition and really see no reason to even have one if they were to going to pay him while going forward.

just my opinion.

just pay Tyrod. Gain some ground in this draft toward next years 1st. Just in case.

Build around him. its really only two- 3 years Bills would have to keep him.

Bird in hand thing. you know.

it would be two years with a rookie anyways, before we saw anything much considering this draft class.

Edited by 3rdand12