Man, this one is hard to take

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet way more than I should of on the Patriots so that tempered my disdain for the them/the league in general. That is after I got absolutely pounded by the book Saturday in college hoops. So as you could imagine I was sweating bullets throughout that game. As far as the Pats winning, I am really numb to the whole NFL right now. Who cares, no matter what the Bills do they are not going to be able to compete with Brady & BB. Let the pat fans have their fun for the next 5 years, all good things come to an end. It will be fun once their dynasty comes to an end. Pat fans are so spoiled they won't know how to handle it & my guess is Patriot place will become a ghost town.

Man, I gots a disease! You would think bad beat after bad beat I would learn...but no, keep coming back for more.

Was even tougher hearing my wife as it goes into OT..."well thats okay..will most likely end on a FG anyway and the Falcons getting 3 right"

And me having to explain the OT rules now....and the fact I never take points and only play the moneyline.....

Man, I gots a disease! You would think bad beat after bad beat I would learn...but no, keep coming back for more.

Was even tougher hearing my wife as it goes into OT..."well thats okay..will most likely end on a FG anyway and the Falcons getting 3 right"

And me having to explain the OT rules now....and the fact I never take points and only play the moneyline.....

Yep, this has been the worst year I have had in over 10 years with the book. Been getting my lunch handed to me on a weekly basis. This is how my luck has been going. Had Bonnie on the backend of 4 team round robin Saturday. Got the first three games in & if Bonnie wins I would of won over a grand. Not sure how you saw how that game ended. Mobley hits a three for Bonnie with .4 fckn seconds to go up by 1(I was getting 1.5 points)& the students rush the court & they call a technical on Bonnie & VCU makes it & sends it into OT winning by 6. I was watching my 7 year old daughter Saturday night & at the end of the game she was like "daddy, are you crying?" & I am like "no I got some dust in my eye." but make no mistake about it those were real tears. I had a tough time sleeping Saturday night, that one hurt.

Since moving from Buffalo to Boston 31 years ago, I have become generally numb to the Patriots (punctuated with bouts of intense loathing). Sure, they have their blah-blah unique pin-prick passing formula that allows them to win in today's milquetoast NFL, with its faux concern for player safety. And sure, somehow the chips always seem to fall their way -- the miraculous Edelman catch, the missed face-mask call that would have offset the holding penalty that put Atlanta out of field-goal range, the dropped pick in the end zone in OT, etc., etc. But take solace, fellow Bills fans. On my way home from the Super Bowl party last night, there was absolute DEAD QUIET; I mean, you could hear a pin drop in the street. And it's not just that New Englanders have become inured to winning: it was the same going back to their first SB win in 2002 (OK, maybe there was a bit more bewildered excitement that time). Even last night, as I politely clenched my jaw and fumed as the Patriots came back in the 4th quarter, the Patriots' fans at the party mostly chit-chatted about some new device that they'd bought, or commented on the commercials. Accuse me of sour grapes if you will, but I'm making an objective, empirical observation. It's just different from back home. So I'll just keep my mouth shut and carry on for yet another off-season.

But one of these nights, I'm going to drive over to Tom Brady's house at 3 AM (I know exactly where he lives), calm as could be, pull into his driveway, lock the doors of my car, and lean on the horn until the Brookline cops smash my windows and haul me out of the car. You know, like in that scene from Shawshank Redemption when Tim Robbins plays opera over the prison PA.

I'm not being dramatic here, but the pats are killing the NFL. Dynasties like these aren't supposed to happen in the parity era and you noticed that super bowl ticket sales dropped drastically when New England made it back. I heard numerous people today moan and groan about how they weren't going to watch the super bowl because they are tired of New England. If they don't go away, the league will continue to suffer

Tickets were down because ONLY Pats fans were buying pretty much. Did you hear the crowd last night? It went nuts for the Pats comeback and silent when the Falcons were playing well. The tickets would have been flying out at a high price if it had been Dallas, Seattle,GB against NE.

I hate the Pats with a passion. My wife who knows nothing about football & the NFL hates the Pats with a passion. But last night that QB and that coach put on a master class in how not to give up. They might be the best tandem ever. As much as I'm depressed about the result, it might be the most entertaining SB I've ever watched. The NFL is just fine. And they know it. As much as Belichick & Brady are the Trumps of the NFL.

The answer to all of this so simple. Just realign the leagues so that the NFC has to deal with the greatest team ever for a few seasons.

I know, I know, this is a good idea, so it won't ever happen.

We (collectively, royally, not actually) have the power to change things. But people are hesitant and fear new ideas. But if the NFL truly, honestly, believes in parity and evenness in competition, they must act to change the balance of power in the conferences.

The Patriots are so good, they skew every data set 3 to 4 standard deviations over from the mean. It's the farthest right on the bell curve if you will. Hashtag stats.

The answer to all of this so simple. Just realign the leagues so that the NFC has to deal with the greatest team ever for a few seasons.

I know, I know, this is a good idea, so it won't ever happen.

We (collectively, royally, not actually) have the power to change things. But people are hesitant and fear new ideas. But if the NFL truly, honestly, believes in parity and evenness in competition, they must act to change the balance of power in the conferences.

The Patriots are so good, they skew every data set 3 to 4 standard deviations over from the mean. It's the farthest right on the bell curve if you will. Hashtag stats.

I do not believe you could do that realignment l. The Patriots are an AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE Team.. not a National Football League team from the old days. That's what the SB about after all.. the old AFL V the old NFL.

I do not believe you could do that realignment l. The Patriots are an AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE Team.. not a National Football League team from the old days. That's what the SB about after all.. the old AFL V the old NFL.

I appreciate your perspective, but if you're old enough to remember the AFL rivalries, you're not in the NFL's target audience demo. It's just a fact. The 60's were a very, very long time ago.

Doing anything because "it's always been done that way" is easily the worst reason to do anything. The AFL "rivalries" are older than desegregation, Vietnam. It's been a long enough time. Time to change it up.

Nah.

Someone needs to step up and beat them next season. They are still amazing so there is glory to be earned.

Who has the moxie to do it?

Not the Falcons obviously. Matt Ryan looks like a deer in the headlights.

Look at this as an opportunity. To be the best, you've got to beat the best.

They are the best. They will be great again. So there is opportunity.

Edited by TheFunPolice

There can be no rational explanation as to why they didn't run and go for the FG. None at all.

Not only did they not run it but look at the pass plays they were calling. Play action with 15-20yd routes? When all you need to do is milk clock? If ur going to pass the ball at least throw a high percentage pass like a screen or quick slant in that situation. Not some slow developing play that requires Matt to sit back there for 5 seconds for the Wr to get open only for him to take a sack.

Embarrassing.

Nah.

Someone needs to step up and beat them next season. They are still amazing so there is glory to be earned.

Who has the moxie to do it?

Not the Falcons obviously. Matt Ryan looks like a deer in the headlights.

Look at this as an opportunity. To be the best, you've got to beat the best.

They are the best. They will be great again. So there is opportunity.

Their second best player in Gronk was missing too. Another 14-2 season next year.

Not only did they not run it but look at the pass plays they were calling. Play action with 15-20yd routes? When all you need to do is milk clock? If ur going to pass the ball at least throw a high percentage pass like a screen or quick slant in that situation. Not some slow developing play that requires Matt to sit back there for 5 seconds for the Wr to get open only for him to take a sack.

Embarrassing.

And Matt Bryant is an excellent kicker, and we're looking at a 41 yard attempt. Falcon fans must be beside themselves today...

I deal with it as we are both in the AFC so it is ok for them to win. I am an old AFL guy who put up with the NFL snobs for years while my Bills dominated the early 60s in the AFL. Also it doesn't hurt me now when the Pats win also knowing we defeated them this year. Strictly a defense mechanism by myself but it helps the inevitable. Pats are a well run organization that hopefully we can replicate one day.

I might be done. I'll still keep my seasons and go to a couple games but for whatever reason this one is hurting me bad. Hopefully it wears off by the schedule release and this is an afterthought but !@#$ing a... it was a bad year of football capped by what's going to lead to a 6 month puke fest from the media. Is it really worth 5+ grand a year and a lot of time and frustration? I dunno, this just plain sucks

I agree.

If I were you: Save your money. Until the Bills get a top flight QB nothing is gonna change. Draft all the WR's TE's SS or DL, nothing will change. The media loves talking about the same few teams, makes their job easier and more enjoyable.