Has a backup qb gone onto greatness somewhere else

judman

Looking at the chatter surrounding Janine Garappolo...

So my buddy and I we were wondering, is there QB like Cassel, Flynn, Osweiler, etc. who was a backup somewhere and received big bucks through free agency, or trade and worked out well for the new team?

In other words, someone bought into them big time and it paid off.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my buddy and I we were wondering, is there QB like Cassel, Flynn, Osweiler, etc. who was a backup somewhere and received big bucks through free agency, or trade and worked out well for the new team?

Brett Favre. Darryl Lamonica. Jim Plunkett. More to come

Aaron Rodgers was a back-up. Same team though

The guy who succeeded Joe Montana, Steve Young

Edited by MarkyMannn

Two I can think of right off the top of my head would be Brett Farve and Steve Young.

HOF WB Steve Young from Tampa Baybto SF Is the best one I can thinknof

Plenty of examples for this quiz but an obvious one if I understand it correctly.

Doug Flutie, Buffalo Bills

Perhaps the greatest example would be Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams.

Edited by dpberr

Depends on how you define backup and success elsewhere. If your talking players who were on another team and went elsewhere to become good players, favre and young are good examples, flute had success in another league before coming to buffalo, and was a backup in the NFL before the cfl.

As for Garoppolo, if rumors are true and the Browns get him, I think it's a lock he won't have success and just join the long list of names from the QB dumpster

Pretty stupid of you to refer to him as "Janine." That doesn't even make sense.

I for one would love to see Jimmy as a Bill. The kid has talent and knows what good coaching is like. He would be a huge addition to the Bills.

Rich Gannon

A career backup, the Raiders signed him to be their starter in FA at 33, went on to win a MVP and go to a Super Bowl.

Drew Brees

Basically lost his job in San Diego, New Orleans won a bit of a bidding war (that we lost). That turned out pretty well for them.

While not exactly fitting the criteria of the initial question, Favre was a big gamble by the Packers, who gave up a 1st round pick and most of the league laughed at the deal when it happened.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Basically lost his job in San Diego, New Orleans won a bit of a bidding war (that we lost). That turned out pretty well for them.

While not exactly fitting the criteria of the initial question, Favre was a big gamble by the Packers, who gave up a 1st round pick and most of the league laughed at the deal when it happened.

I think Favre fits the criteria of the initial question. In what way do you feel he doesn't?

I would say Brees kind of doesn't fit the question, because he was really a replaced starter who was then traded and had much more success. Jim Plunkett, the same.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think Favre fits the criteria of the initial question. In what way do you feel he doesn't?

I would say Brees kind of doesn't fit the question, because he was really a replaced starter who was then traded and had much more success. Jim Plunkett, the same.

Brees wasn't traded. He was a free agent. The Chargers drafted Rivers because they didn't think Brees was a franchise guy. They allowed Brees to play while Rivers sat a year, Brees got hurt and his contract expired. Few saw him reaching the heights he did with the Saints (he was an after thought to Culpepper that FA period).

Favre doesn't exactly fit the criteria because he wasn't a FA who was given a big contract, but he was a backup who was acquired on a significant dice roll.