Post your Super Bowl Menu!

YoloinOhio

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go...

We always have foods from the two cities being represented in the game. I am so freaking tired of NE foods! That said...

Sam Adams

Sweet tea & vodka

NE clam chowder

Lobster rolls

Fried chicken

Peach cobbler

Pecan pie

Not big on the veggies, huh?

any recommendations that fit the theme?

collards

black eye peas and greens( good luck for the new year)

i always associate succotash as southern..not sure why

I am doing roasted leg of lamb sammies(thinking of doing sous vide) with a romesco sause on toasted sourdough

Going to a friends house and he insists on breading his wings..so no wings for me!

Mild beef chili

Spicy chicken chili

Italian-style chicken cutlets

BBQ beef brisket

Antipasto salad

Sausage/cream cheese/tomato dip

Stuffed banana peppers

Cheese and fruit trays

Mexican chocolate cupcakes

Chocolate-peanut butter cheesecake

Vanilla-raspberry cheesecake

A few dozen Paula's donuts

Home made sauce with homemade raviolis that I'm picking up from the bakery. Then break out the wings, shrimp and chips and dip during the game. Plenty of beers to wash down Tommy's tears.

Wait, which is it? Homemade ravs, or is the bakery hand-making them?

Not being uppity, just curious, since I haven't attempted homemade ravs since my mom passed 3-1/2 years ago. Not because I'm sad or traumatized or anything, but simply because it's so time-consuming even with the guidance of a master rav-maker. Though I do still have a bag of 100% duram semolina flour in the freezer...

Also, do you blanch/bake or just bake? I used to blanch them, but mom smacked me around one year and made it quite clear to me: bake only. Sure, they suck up about 2x as much sauce, but the texture comes out an absolutely perfect al dente that I simply cannot reproduce by blanching.

Edited by thebandit27

Mild beef chili

Spicy chicken chili

BBQ beef brisket

Antipasto salad

Stuffed banana peppers

Cheese and fruit trays

haha gotta get those Paula's donuts in there!

The wife accepted an invite from a co-worker having a party. I don't like turning this over to a possible amateur. Trying to determine the best item(s) to bring with me. Some transport better than others. Maybe follow Yolo's lead and take some clam chowder and some fried chicken (while spiking the one the evil empire might prefer with Colon Blow?). That would be a Super Bowl we'd remember!

Mild beef chili

Spicy chicken chili

BBQ beef brisket

Antipasto salad

Stuffed banana peppers

Cheese and fruit trays

I hope you're having some people over. :)

My favorite sports day of the year used to be AFC/NCF Championship day. Less hype, more football and a better chance to get at least one good game. PLUS, a client/friend used to throw an incredible bash! In addition to the game day typical fare, he'd have endless supplies of snow crab and oysters prepared various ways. We lived in Hilton Head, SC so it seeemd appropriate....and it was GLORIOUS!

Wait, which is it? Homemade ravs, or is the bakery hand-making them?

Not being uppity, just curious, since I haven't attempted homemade ravs since my mom passed 3-1/2 years ago. Not because I'm sad or traumatized or anything, but simply because it's so time-consuming even with the guidance of a master rav-maker. Though I do still have a bag of 100% duram semolina flour in the freezer...

Also, do you blanch/bake or just bake? I used to blanch them, but mom smacked me around one year and made it quite clear to me: bake only. Sure, they suck up about 2x as much sauce, but the texture comes out an absolutely perfect al dente that I simply cannot reproduce by blanching.

Well it's a local bakery that makes them, they charge a decent coin but they are well worth it. Haven't picked any up in awhile so it's something I'm looking forward too. I have never tried making them myself so I certainly worded that incorrectly. We just always say lets go pick up some "homemade" ones, like that makes any sense! The sauce is definelty made by me though and we usually boil the ravs.

i have never had those. Might just give them a try. Now does celery and carrots in the soup and celery in the lobster rolls count for anything?

Actually, I realize that I was "that guy" regarding this subject. I believe, honestly, that potato chips and corn chips will qualify in this case. If you want bonus vegetables, then go with onion dip and salsa.

My wife recently "discovered" that she has sensitivities to gluten and dairy, and has cut both out of her diet. Which of course means that they are pretty much cut out of my diet as well. Two of my favorite things :doh:

EXACTLY! Did you have ANY idea how that would affect YOUR life? Most of my favorite things (including variety!) are gone, but there's no shortage of roasted broccoli! :(

My wife recently "discovered" that she has sensitivities to gluten and dairy, and has cut both out of her diet. Which of course means that they are pretty much cut out of my diet as well. Two of my favorite things :doh:

sounds like you need to head over to Bandit's house!

sounds like you need to head over to Bandit's house!

Mrs. Bandit is actually sensitive to both as well--I, obviously, am not.

However, I try not to eat that stuff around her, even though she's pretty cool about it.

Good news is that we have enough food around that she enjoys, so she usually doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. She's moved from bread/baked goods to super-dark chocolate, and when she does have dairy it's typically almond or coconut milk

Mrs. Bandit is actually sensitive to both as well--I, obviously, am not.

However, I try not to eat that stuff around her, even though she's pretty cool about it.

Good news is that we have enough food around that she enjoys, so she usually doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything. She's moved from bread/baked goods to super-dark chocolate, and when she does have dairy it's typically almond or coconut milk

My wife has been pretty good about allowing me and the kids to have pasta and bread occasionally, as she will will just substitute gluten free pasta and bread. The really hard thing for me is no pizza. I really miss the occasional friday night pie, and I wouldn't dare eat it in front of her. We went to a burger joint in Burlington last weekend with a bunch of hockey families after my son's game, and it was sad watching my wife eat her cheeseless meat patties with a knife and fork.

EXACTLY! Did you have ANY idea how that would affect YOUR life? Most of my favorite things (including variety!) are gone, but there's no shortage of roasted broccoli! :(

It has been tough. It's all the things (e.g., seasonings, sauces, etc...) that you don't think about. Meat and veggies, meat and veggies, meat and veggies.

My wife has been pretty good about allowing me and the kids to have pasta and bread occasionally, as she will will just substitute gluten free pasta and bread. The really hard thing for me is no pizza. I really miss the occasional friday night pie, and I wouldn't dare eat it in front of her. We went to a burger joint in Burlington last weekend with a bunch of hockey families after my son's game, and it was sad watching my wife eat her cheeseless meat patties with a knife and fork.

We don't do pizza often either...it's basically everything she shouldn't have.

I'll occasion to do a meat-crusted pizza, basically a meatloaf style recipe baked in the oven with pizza sauce on top. It does the job if we're craving pizza.

Now, on the nights that Mrs. Bandit goes to her mom meetings, the boys and I will indulge on our own, and its spectacular.

The other one that stinks is no ice cream, but there are plenty of good substitutes for that now.

Fortunately Mrs. Bandit legitimately loves salads, so those are always an option.

Celiac is a racket

Not to the 10% of the population that actually have issues.

Of course, Mrs. Bandit isn't celiac, but we have most definitely noticed that she has certain autoimmune responses to gluten and dairy. When she doesn't eat them, those reactions go away. Call it what you like, but as folks that are quite health-conscious and natural skeptics of nutritional alarmism, we've found something that works.

I watch with one friend, and we make food that's "native" to where the game is being held. We started doing that for the SF-BAL game in New Orleans (hand-deveining Gulf shrimp for po' boys was NOT cool).

Last year was sushi/sashimi for the game in SF.

This year is BBQ; ribs in the slow cooker for 8 hours, then broiled to finish. Cornbread.

It has been tough. It's all the things (e.g., seasonings, sauces, etc...) that you don't think about. Meat and veggies, meat and veggies, meat and veggies.

There are LOTS of GF pizza options out there. PM me for specifics.