Chiefs WR coach = Bills QB coach

YoloinOhio

Without looking it up, how many of you know the names of any coaches on the Falcons' or Pats***' staffs besides the HC, OC, DC, and perhaps STC?

Not many, I'm guessing.

This thread is so silly.

I recall being impressed with the names that Rex Ryan assembled for his staff. In the end, it didn't mean squat. Just win games...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without looking it up, how many of you know the names of any coaches on the Falcons' or Pats***' staffs besides the HC, OC, DC, and perhaps STC?

Not many, I'm guessing.

This thread is so silly.

I think two... Brian Daboll who is either Tight Ends or Receivers and has had a couple of OC gigs in the league with the Browns (under Mangini) and the Chiefs (under Crennel).

And Scarnecchia who they brought back out of retirement to fix the line.

lol how much of a difference do you guys think an NFL QB coach really makes? These guys already know how to throw a football.

This man has been coaching for decades at the highest level under one of the best coaches in the NFL. He'll be a valuable asset to the offensive staff regardless what his title says he is.

Quite a bit, "these guys" don't all know how to throw a ball CORRECTLY, which explains Tyrod's inaccuracy (similar knock against Jones as well). For clarification I am not suggesting that I believe he will be unsuccessful I just don't see anything in his history that leads me to be excited about the choice.

“He played quarterback so he always wanted to get back to doing that,” Reid told Buffalobills.com. “He was always involved in our pass game all the time. He’d set it up with me and present it to the players. He’s done installs. He’s done everything. I looked at him like another coordinator.”

Encouraging...

Edited by Heitz

Quite a bit, "these guys" don't all know how to throw a ball CORRECTLY, which explains Tyrod's inaccuracy (similar knock against Jones as well). For clarification I am not suggesting that I believe he will be unsuccessful I just don't see anything in his history that leads me to be excited about the choice.

There are some fundamental drills that you'll work on with a QB in camp/OTAs but practice time is so limited that you would rather practice executing plays. Not to mention, in the limited time you work on something you don't build the type of muscle memory needed to adjust a QB's throw style when the bullets are flying. These are things QBs will typically have to work on on their own time outside of "practice" with the QB coach.

I thought a QB coach focused more on film study with the QBs. Finding defensive tendencies, going through the playbook for the week... etc.

There are some fundamental drills that you'll work on with a QB in camp/OTAs but practice time is so limited that you would rather practice executing plays. Not to mention, in the limited time you work on something you don't build the type of muscle memory needed to adjust a QB's throw style when the bullets are flying. These are things QBs will typically have to work on on their own time outside of "practice" with the QB coach.

I thought a QB coach focused more on film study with the QBs. Finding defensive tendencies, going through the playbook for the week... etc.

Reid mentions installs and you're right about film study.

From what I understand, some QB coaches work a lot on mechanics (footwork, throwing motion, etc) and some not-so-much if at all.

Reid's complimentary words do encourage me though I wonder how much of that is him uptalking one of his guys.

From what I understand, some QB coaches work a lot on mechanics (footwork, throwing motion, etc) and some not-so-much if at all.

Reid's complimentary words do encourage me though I wonder how much of that is him uptalking one of his guys.

I know there's specifically mechanics guys a lot of people hire. I know wentz is working with Adam Dedeaux who has worked with a bunch of people in the past. I think its a lot of exercises to get stronger and more flexible in the throwing arm and motion. Working on footwork mishaps. And for Wentz probably that hitchy delivery he has. Bortles has a lot of the same problems.

I think he can coach the QB position, hes been around football for 40 years and was a QB himself....seems like another good hire

A WR coach doesnt just hang out with the WRs and say "run this route, catch the ball"

After Maclin is cut as a cap casualty in KC, having Culley on staff can help us sway him to come finish his NFL career with us...

Maclin on Culley being in KC when he signed, "It's a big factor why I came to KC, and I have nothing but love for him....its more than a player-coach relationship. We're actually friends and its deeper than that".

Reid gave him the highest endorsement he could and said he helped design gameplans and he was constantly working with him...

My understanding along with that is that Taylor does not need so much to work on his mechanics as work on seeing all of the field better. Giving him the perspective of an ex-QB who has coached receivers, installed game plans, and studied film for years should help the latter.

My understanding along with that is that Taylor does not need so much to work on his mechanics as work on seeing all of the field better. Giving him the perspective of an ex-QB who has coached receivers, installed game plans, and studied film for years should help the latter.

He occaisionally has some mechanical breakdowns. Usually its stepping into throws from the pocket, he'll just chuck it from his back foot when he senses pressure. His scrambling throws are typically pretty good though in keeping his feet under his body and such. Has a quicker release than some, can spin it. I don't think he's like.. a mechanical mess or something like that.