GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Here ya go:

</snip>

Each year, the Current Employment Statistics (CES) survey employment estimates are benchmarked to comprehensive counts of employment for the month of March. These counts are derived from state unemployment insurance (UI) tax records that nearly all employers are required to file. For national CES employment series, the annual benchmark revisions over the last 10 years have averaged plus or minus two-tenths of one percent of total nonfarm employment. The preliminary estimate of the benchmark revision indicates a downward adjustment to March 2019 total nonfarm employment of -501,000 (-0.3 percent).

</snip>

Not sure where the 20% in that article came from. That Bureau of Labor Statics graph the story linked to showed that the  government adjusted data showed some of the benchmark revisions were up, some were down.  (I could be reading it wrong, but that was why I quoted that 0.3%.)

Largest revision downward in 10 years and the revision downward was primarily in the retail, leisure, and hospitality sectors.

All closely tied with consumer spending.

I don't know how you could possibly spin this as anything other than something negative and I'm a little perplexed that I was the first to mention this considering the news was out a few days ago.

20 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Trump is a flaming hypocrite on this matter.  For him only 1 number matters, GDP growth.  He doesn't care how we get there. 

deficit does not matter, neither party can bothered to deal with it since LBJ

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

This may sound odd... my brother works in a steel mill. For the last 10-12 years, I could tell you  what the economy is going to be doing in two quarters based on what they are rolling 180 days out.

They are running three lines and all the OT anyone wants right now.

OK, since I posted this, I want to keep it updated... no more OT as of Sunday. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

It doesn't matter until it does. 

1966, oh dear, should do something

2019, oh dear, should do something

good thing for the Amen Chorus telling us doomsday is tomorrow from 1966 to eternity???

On 8/26/2019 at 2:16 PM, B-Man said:

SEE ALSO: CLINTON AND BOTH BUSHES (AND BIDEN IF GIVEN THE CHANCE). 

Trump is right to confront China, reversing Obama’s policy of weakness and appeasement.

...who in history has ever had the gonads to do so?....just a ton of wimpy sabre rattling......so he does what nobody else wanted to do and he's the bad guy?.....isn't China's economy in its worst shape since 1992 and the Asian markets in turmoil?......how about Iran?......they blew through the $100 bil from the fraud Obama and now their economy is tanking due to sanctions....how long has this country needed an irascible, caustic, bombastic, "ain't scared of nothing" outsider, etc to turn the comfy political establishment on its ugly head?....expose's on the graft, corruption, and partisan undertow within DOJ and FBI, once thought to be irrefutable bastions of the democracy?....MORE chlorine for "The Swamp"......just getting started and I hope AG Barr has the gonads needed..........

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

U.S., Japan agree in principle on trade deal worth 'billions and billions'

Trump highlights benefits for American farmers

The U.S. and Japan have agreed in principle on a trade deal worth “billions and billions of dollars,” President Trump said Sunday.

Mr. Trump said parties will likely sign the deal around the U.N. General Assembly in September.

Japan will buy up America’s corn surplus as part of the deal. Some tariffs on Japanese goods will be removed, though existing levies on autos will remain.

“It’s a very big transaction, and we’ve agreed in principle. It’s billions and billions of dollars. Tremendous for the farmers,” Mr. Trump said in an impromptu session with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the Group of Seven summit in France.

</snip>

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said Japan is the U.S.’s third-largest agriculture market. He said the deal will open up markets for $7 billion more in U.S. beef, pork, wheat, dairy, wine, ethanol and other products.

</snip>

You do realize this was the TPP deal .....right?.....

snip

WSJ: Democrats’ Emerging Tax Idea: Look Beyond Income, Target Wealth. 

“Lawmakers and 2020 candidates offer a range of options focused on capturing some of the trillions of dollars in assets belonging to the nation’s richest.”

For the richest Americans, Democrats want to shift toward taxing their wealth, instead of just their salaries and the income their assets generate. The personal income tax indirectly touches wealth, but only when assets are sold and become income.

At the end of 2017, U.S. households had $3.8 trillion in unrealized gains in stocks and investment funds, plus more in real estate, private businesses and artwork, according to the Economic Innovation Group, a nonprofit focused on bringing investment to low-income areas. Most of the value of estates over $100 million consists of unrealized gains, said a 2013 Federal Reserve study. Much has never been touched by individual income taxes and may never be.

Democrats are eager to tap that mountain of wealth to finance priorities such as expanding health-insurance coverage, combating climate change and aiding low-income households. Their ideas range from new rules on inherited assets, to a plan by Sen. Ron Wyden for annual taxes on unrealized gains, to a proposal from Sen. Elizabeth Warren to tax wealth itself.

A century ago, progressives promised the income tax would only affect the top one percent, too.