The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Albwan said:

As a bonus .....STORMY IS BAAAACK!!!

It will be interesting to see if she testifies before Congress just as obviously coked-up as her TV interview.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GG said:

Note the market today, with Dorian hitting US.   

Are you trying to get an "Uncle" out of me? My original premise was that the market's drop could have been caused by pretty much anything. Maybe it's up today because Dorian looks not quite as bad (overall) as originally thought. Maybe it was because of the economic news for August or maybe it was because there is optimism with the China negotiations or the olive branch thrown to the people on Hong Kong.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Are you trying to get an "Uncle" out of me? My original premise was that the market's drop could have been caused by pretty much anything. Maybe it's up today because Dorian looks not quite as bad (overall) as originally thought. Maybe it was because of the economic news for August or maybe it was because there is optimism with the China negotiations or the olive branch thrown to the people on Hong Kong.

Call it whatever you want, but the hurricane was not a major driver of the market this week.   Economic data, trade news and Fed signals were.  

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Call it whatever you want, but the hurricane was not a major driver of the market this week.   Economic data, trade news and Fed signals were.  

I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing it out that the market can be affected by many different things. The one thing I won't do though is to get into a long ongoing debate with you like you do with others here who pretty much agree with you. I'll spare the other posters here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Mixed economic numbers today.

And .... (ASDP is a typo, should be ADP). The "recession" question is sarcasm from him. 

The pain is coming from Trump's trade war impacting manufacturing, and the ISM manufacturing index showed contraction this week, with a measure below 50 which is recession indicator. On the other hand, Services and overall consumption are doing fine.  Essentially, there is ammunition to support recession talk, and there is ammo to support the Trump loyalists.

In the meantime, markets are hyper-sensitive to any trade talk, as we've seen this week.  If manufacturing continues to decline, then it will filter into jobs, consumption, and services, and, yes, maybe even a formal recession...

49 minutes ago, GG said:

up 400 today, so where was all the great economic data, trade news, Dorian and Fed signals to make it rise?

might hit 27,000 tomorrow....

7 minutes ago, TPS said:

The pain is coming from Trump's trade war impacting manufacturing, and the ISM manufacturing index showed contraction this week, with a measure below 50 which is recession indicator. On the other hand, Services and overall consumption are doing fine.  Essentially, there is ammunition to support recession talk, and there is ammo to support the Trump loyalists.

In the meantime, markets are hyper-sensitive to any trade talk, as we've seen this week.  If manufacturing continues to decline, then it will filter into jobs, consumption, and services, and, yes, maybe even a formal recession...

"Trump loyalists"? :wacko: I think you mean "Recession cheerleaders who hate President Trump so much, they will cheer to see their neighbors out of work and on public assistance" versus those who like the economic good times.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

up 400 today, so where was all the great economic data, trade news, Dorian and Fed signals to make it rise?

might hit 27,000 tomorrow....

Do your own homework, Sue.

But I'll give you a hint - there are 3 reasons on the front page of WSJ.com

DJIA drops 300, libtard media screams it's a massive plummet with a Depression starting in 5 seconds

CONTINUES rising and goes up 400 and crickets on the possible good things this entails...

Economics became your new major when you totally flunked Introductory Financial Accounting in business school

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/grossly-irresponsible-larry-summers-blasts-ex-fed-presidents-call-to-thwart-trump-in-2020.html?__twitter_impression=true&recirc=taboolainternal

Former New York Fed President Bill Dudley’s push for the central bank to consider the 2020 election when crafting monetary policy is “grossly irresponsible” behavior, economist Larry Summers told CNBC on Thursday.

Dudley, in a Wednesday post on Bloomberg, suggested the Federal Reserve could, and should, try to sway the election against President Donald Trump. Dudley urged current central bankers not to lower interest rates further to cover for any negative effects on the U.S. economy that may arise due to the president’s China trade war.

“For a former trusted official of the Fed, whose thinking is inevitably going to be tied to the Fed, to recommend that they ... [use] rates so as to subvert the economy and influence a presidential election is grossly irresponsible, and is an abuse of the privilege of being a former Fed official,” said Summers, who formerly was Treasury secretary under President Bill Clinton and as an economic advisor to President Barack Obama.

Summers, a longtime Trump critic who had been considered by Obama for Fed chief, said that Dudley’s remarks took the discussion “out of the realm of economics” and “into the realm of politics.”

• Like (+1) 2