Rivers not interested in LA - nevermind he is

Reed83HOF

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to ignore the 21 INT's during the offseason. When you watch him throw those during the actual games, you may have a different take.

I'm in Colorado so I see a lot of AFC West games. Rivers had an abysmal offensive line, and yes, he tried to force the action many times. But even in the last couple lost seasons I still saw a QB who can do some remarkable things.

With our running game, Rivers wouldn't have to carry the team or throw 30-40 times for 300 + yards every week. Sure he'd be a solid 1-2 year bridge QB for us, but how effective will he be playing here in December & Hopefully January?

Yeah, you definitely don't want a QB that's going to throw for 30 TDs regardless of who you put around him. I doubt Rivers has mastered the art of handing the football off to Shady.

We hated Taylor when the defense shat the bed because he could not win those games. Well, what's River's excuse?

With our running game, Rivers wouldn't have to carry the team or throw 30-40 times for 300 + yards every week. Sure he'd be a solid 1-2 year bridge QB for us, but how effective will he be playing here in December & Hopefully January?

this is what many fans don't like about Taylor.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/18635/can-philip-rivers-be-mr-december-for-chargers-in-2016

"Since taking over as quarterback of the San Diego Chargers in 2006, Rivers has helped lead them to a 35-13 record in games played in December and January."

Let's put it this way: all things being equal (salary, number of years on contract, etc, etc.), I take it you would actually prefer to have Tyrod Taylor at QB as opposed to Philip Rivers?

Phillips in his prime I'd take, as you say all things being equal. But they aren't equal in real life. Taylor is younger and has some room to improve. Phillips is in the home stretch of his career.

Phillips in his prime I'd take, as you say all things being equal. But they aren't equal in real life. Taylor is younger and has some room to improve. Phillips is in the home stretch of his career.

But one is a running QB who depends on his running for a significant part of his value. Those guys don't tend to age well ...

TT is not a long term answer here either.. He'll never get that much better IMO.. He is a good stop gap but not as good as Phillips

Rivers for a 2-3 years as a stop gap and mentor QB > TT

I'd definitley be more interested in Phillips knowing damn well we have ot keep drafting QB's till we find our own long term answer.. TT is never going to be our long term answer might as well look for a better throwing QB

TT is not a long term answer here either.. He'll never get that much better IMO.. He is a good stop gap but not as good as Phillips

I'd definitley be more interested in Phillips knowing damn well we have ot keep drafting QB's till we find our own long term answer.. TT is never going to be our long term answer might as well look for a better throwing QB

How much do we give up for a 'stop gap' and as much as I like Rivers, QB's near the end of their careers generally don't get better.

the same people that complain about Tyrod's accuracy want a guy that threw 21 interceptions this season

Yep. Rivers is a good QB, but he also has a reputation for not being very clutch. He is also on the back 9 of his career. He for sure would be an upgrade over Tyrod but is not the answer 2-3 years from now

Do you remember what Drew Bledsoe was like when he was a Bill? He had the mobility of Frankenstein. So if you had a Phillips at QB you might gain a few passing yards but lose the added threat to your run game. Opposing defenses would just tee off on the statue at QB, like teams did against Bledsoe.

Yep. Rivers is a good QB, but he also has a reputation for not being very clutch. He is also on the back 9 of his career. He for sure would be an upgrade over Tyrod but is not the answer 2-3 years from now

exactly stop gap short term QB who would be a better mentor for a young drafted QB and Cardale

and we all know TT is not clutch anyways

Do you remember what Drew Bledsoe was like when he was a Bill? He had the mobility of Frankenstein. So if you had a Phillips at QB you might gain a few passing yards but lose the added threat to your run game. Opposing defenses would just tee off on the statue at QB, like teams did against Bledsoe.

I would prefer a passing QB to mentor our young QB's.. I also want to see a passing game, I am not a fan of TT's passing game and the running game is obviously not enough

OK so San Diego had no running game and crappy defense yet Rivers still managed 4000 yds and 31 TD's why didn't teams just tee off on Rivers in SD cause those numbers are still way better than TT's. The guy gets sacked alot but still puts up numbers.. Obviously Rivers can stand in there and still deliver a pass

Edited by ddaryl

exactly stop gap short term QB who would be a better mentor for a young drafted QB and Cardale

and we all know TT is not clutch anyways

I would prefer a passing QB to mentor our young QB's.. I also want to see a passing game, I am not a fan of TT's passing game and the running game is obviously not enough

OK so San Diego had no running game and crappy defense yet Rivers still managed 4000 yds and 31 TD's why didn't teams just tee off on Rivers in SD cause those numbers are still way better than TT's. The guy gets sacked alot but still puts up numbers.. Obviously Rivers can stand in there and still deliver a pass

how much better does the 9th ranked offense need to be? you want clutch? show me a defense that keeps the team in the game to win it. russel wilson is considered a clutch guy. look at his comebacks from being down 12-7 in the 4th and wins 14-12. defense keeps him in games and he wins em. he regularly has games like tennessee last year or balt this year where he does nothing all game then scores once in the 4th quarter to win.

how much better does the 9th ranked offense need to be? you want clutch? show me a defense that keeps the team in the game to win it. russel wilson is considered a clutch guy. look at his comebacks from being down 12-7 in the 4th and wins 14-12. defense keeps him in games and he wins em. he regularly has games like tennessee last year or balt this year where he does nothing all game then scores once in the 4th quarter to win.

It help keep these conversations on track if we acknowledged that the "9th ranked offense" mattered for precisely diddly poo. The ranking is being tossed around as if it were the equivalent of being the "9th best offense." We were not. The offense was not good enough last year. Tyrod was not good enough. Let's not lose these facts in the rearview.