Draft question: which do you take?

Rubes

From the Buff News today, and the analysis of Rex's defensive failure:

It was also interesting how much worse the Bills defense did, especially against the run, after safety Aaron Williams got injured.

The Bills were 4-2 when Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry threw a high block on Williams, sending him to injured reserve with a severe neck injury for the second year in a row. The Bills’ safety carousel eventually featured eight different players at the position in 2016, even with Corey Graham on the field for 99 percent of defensive plays.

The Bills allowed only 17.2 points per game with Williams, but after he went down, the Bills gave up 22 consecutive points and blew a lead in an important divisional game before losing three straight. They gave up 27.5 points per game without Williams while going 3-7.

The Bills actually gave up fewer passing yards on average without Williams, but on fewer attempts, likely because they were so easy to run against. Once Williams went down, the Bills rushing average against skyrocketed from 103.2 yards per game to 151.1. Williams is contemplating retirement.

Given that, if the Bills are on the clock and both Mike Williams and the best safety in the draft are available, which do you take?

This is, of course, assuming that we don't add a starting WR or S in free agency, which I don't see happening.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Buff News today, and the analysis of Rex's defensive failure:

Given that, if the Bills are on the clock and both Mike Williams and the best safety in the draft are available, which do you take?

This is, of course, assuming that we don't add a starting WR or S in free agency, which I don't see happening.

I'd take either Jamal Adams or Hooker.

Godwin is not a 1st round pick.

I agree, I'd ideally move back to 33 via a trade or two. As much as it pains me to say it,the Patriots draft strategy is the one to follow here. Picks and plenty of them. 33 might be a bit early for Godwin as well. But dude reminds me of Boldin, so I'd pull the trigger there.

Williams will not be there but you cannot turn him down. He's too good a player. We need a safety more but that doesn't really matter. It's a position of great need and he's as close as you can get as a can't miss player. Just below Sammy.

That said, the draft is after Free agency. So if for some reason we are able to resign Woods or get a top level WR who is a solid #2, then and only then consider the safety. Especially if AW is coming back.

Is Reuben Foster still on the board? If so, I'm taking him. If not, I go Mike Williams and look at S in round 2.

I like this approach. I'd take M. Williams. He is a beast. The draft is decently deep in safety talent...you can likely grab a great one in Rd. 2 (or even 3).