McDermott in regards to Tyrod

I'm with you on the majority of this. I think Goodwin can be decent, but I get the criticism. Sam, Woods and Hunter, I love. I'd rather invest in O line and defense than more WRs. I really thought the O Line as very good, but in today's league, you need better to play with the big boys. I think you and I are pretty close on how we feel about the team.

Jeez, I think you are so off concerning the current Bills receiving corps. If Watkins could stay healthy for a season he may eventually put up a Julio Jones type year and that is one gigantic "if". Past Woods, Clay everyone else was basically worthless.

This team needs more than one solid WR and TE who can play a full 16 games. I look at Atlanta, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and NE with a slew of talent at receiver with envy and wonder if Buffalo will ever see that much talent on the offense. I also wonder if Whaley will every find a quality RT before he is fired.

Jets, Browns and Jags are the only teams in the league that would consider Tyrod an upgrade, in my opinion.

I would really hate it to see the Browns, Jets make the playoffs with Taylor at QB.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills cut Tyrod loose, it will be a rebuild and a couple of 3 - 13 seasons. Unless they pull off a pretty substantial trade and give up most likely high draft picks to get a veteran qb.

I believe the Bills should keep Tyrod, keep their picks, and sign a FA QB. I know there are fans who hate this but there is no easy answer for Bills QB situation.

If the Bills cut Tyrod loose, it will be a rebuild and a couple of 3 - 13 seasons. Unless they pull off a pretty substantial trade and give up most likely high draft picks to get a veteran qb.

I believe the Bills should keep Tyrod, keep their picks, and sign a FA QB. I know there are fans who hate this but there is no easy answer for Bills QB situation.

The Bills went 6-10 and then went 9-7 after dropping Fitz. And we played a terrible EJ and Kyle Orton.

Bears? Rams? Broncos? Chargers or Cards if Phillips gets traded or Palmer retires?

No. None of those teams would be better by getting Tyrod Taylor, in my opinion. I thought about it before I said Jets, Browns and Jags.

He is right about Norman as the Panthers stated he was a system CB and would fail wherever he went beside Carolina, Then they drafted three CB's in the draft to replace him and they were the ones that fell on their faces. I would think when you let a top talent walk at any position that the team should have an adequate replacement ready to step in and they clearly didn't.

Last year the Panthers went from 11th in passing yards given up to 29th and I was questioning why the team wanted to interview McDermott in the first place. To me, this sort of resembles a Rex Ryan type hire only this man has no experience in being an NFL HC, considering the man didn't do so well in his last year with his prior team. I know McDermott will bring 10k times the energy towards his job vs Rex, it's just we don't know if that focus will be effective.

Right now I'm in a wait and see mode and am hoping that McDermott hires a knock the socks off OC and keeps Tyrod to maintain continuity with the run game. I'm really not thrilled with the DC hire as Frazier kept getting fired as DC in Cincy, in Minnesota as HC, and in Tampa Bay. The scheme that these guys run seems more dependent on drafting elite players rather than looking for a certain prototype build and coaching them into a system. JMO

Whaley has control over the draft and roster so let's hope he drafts some offense in a top quality WR or two and a quality RT.

Cutting Norman was a spiteful, arrogant move that had a huge impact on the team.

Gettelman and the coaches seemed very resolute that they were on the same page.

Their arrogance was rewarded.

Personally I see Carolina as a highly inconsistent/yo-yo organization with a meathead HC in Ron Rivera that has developed a false sense of achievement by playing in a division full of other yo-yo's.

Bills fans that were exercised about the Bills getting run on for 200 yards numerous times would be just as irate about getting passed on for 500 yards twice in the span of a month like McDermott's D did in Carolina.

McDermott is no Hall of Fame DC candidate.......this isn't Dick LeBeau or Wade Phillips we are talking about.

That doesn't mean he can't be a great HC........that is a different skill than coordinating.........but he isn't exactly a blue-chip prospect based on his past work.

He has EVERYTHING to prove.

You can't ASSUME that he brings either a good D or any kind of idea of how to play offense...... and he didn't exactly impress by retaining Crosshairs for ST.

A major reason the Panthers gave up way more yards was their offense sucked. Last year they controlled the ball a lot more. Plus Keukley missed six games although they were playing poor before his injury. Norman hurt bad but their offense sucked and put twice as much strain on their D.

I watched a number of their games and while their OL and offense was bad.......the defense came up small in the clutch time and again......reminiscent of the Bills D in the second Miami game.

Their pass defense was pathetic and the great pass rush was non-existent during the 1-5 start that sank their season.

Denver is not going to bench Siemien or 1st rounder Lynch in favor of Tyrod. Maybe a QB competition, maybe, and I wouldn't expect Tyrod to win that.

Jets? Who knows what is happening there

KC? No way are they benching Smith in favor of Tyrod, it's delusional to think otherwise.

SF? is Tyrod really better than Kaep? it's debatable, they're basically the same QB plus Kaeps resume is a whole lot better.

Rams? Not benching Goff

Houston? No, huge contract by Osweiler, they aren't going to pay him that $$$ to be backup

Chicago? Could be, going to draft someone probably

Cleveland? see Chicago ^^^^^

Where else is Tyrod going to get interest from if he is gone from here? I see one landing spot maybe, Jets and they may still opt for someone already on their roster.

This delusion that Tyrod is going to garner so much attention is laughable.

lol

Bears? Rams? Broncos? Chargers or Cards if Phillips gets traded or Palmer retires?

I agree as many sites have already stated that they think Taylor will find a new home very quickly should Buffalo dump him.

The Chargers, A Lynn might want Taylor In if Rivers wants out. There is already a rumor that Elway is looking at Taylor with his magnificent long ball and ability to not turn the ball over. Bills fans forget that deep ball from 2015 because under Lynn it dropped about off 10% because he didn't call as many deep passing plays as Roman. If anyone can further Taylor's development it would be Mike McCoy.

The Bears have an excellent RB in Jordan Howard and their run game would get even better with a QB like Taylor. Jay Cutler is gone and I suspect that while Chicago might draft a rookie QB this year they still might want a better bridge QB.

Currently, there are a bunch of ball control offenses in the NFL that currently stink because their QB position is bad and would love to have a QB that is average and doesn't turn the ball over. Like I said I would hate it to see Taylor on the Jets or Browns in leading them to the playoffs while the Bills struggle with some scrub behind center.

The Bills went 6-10 and then went 9-7 after dropping Fitz. And we played a terrible EJ and Kyle Orton.

Maybe because the Defense went from #18 in the league in points allowed, to #3. Since the offensive points per game were almost identical between those years, i think its safe to say that the QB play had nothing to do with the better record.

There is no quick fix. Give up draft picks for whom? All you are left with then are other holes. Perennial playoff teams plan, draft and build. They don't chase this or that shiny object. That strategy rarely works out.

Cutting Norman was a spiteful, arrogant move that had a huge impact on the team.

Gettelman and the coaches seemed very resolute that they were on the same page.

Their arrogance was rewarded.

Personally I see Carolina as a highly inconsistent/yo-yo organization with a meathead HC in Ron Rivera that has developed a false sense of achievement by playing in a division full of other yo-yo's.

Bills fans that were exercised about the Bills getting run on for 200 yards numerous times would be just as irate about getting passed on for 500 yards twice in the span of a month like McDermott's D did in Carolina.

McDermott is no Hall of Fame DC candidate.......this isn't Dick LeBeau or Wade Phillips we are talking about.

That doesn't mean he can't be a great HC........that is a different skill than coordinating.........but he isn't exactly a blue-chip prospect based on his past work.

He has EVERYTHING to prove.

You can't ASSUME that he brings either a good D or any kind of idea of how to play offense...... and he didn't exactly impress by retaining Crosshairs for ST.

I watched a number of their games and while their OL and offense was bad.......the defense came up small in the clutch time and again......reminiscent of the Bills D in the second Miami game.

Their pass defense was pathetic and the great pass rush was non-existent during the 1-5 start that sank their season.

I agree with you about MickeyD but not about Norman. He's wildly overrated. He just wasn't worth what he was asking and they made a business decision knowing that they were losing a good player. Plus he's a total headache off the field.

Anyway - I hope I'm wrong but right now this coaching staff is shaping up to look a lot like the Jauron staff. Maybe one of the consequences of the Pegulas' "it's not 17 years" mantra is that in distancing themselves from the past, they may be missing opportunities to learn from the myriad mistakes that have been made during that time period...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Maybe because the Defense went from #18 in the league in points allowed, to #3. Since the offensive points per game were almost identical between those years, i think its safe to say that the QB play had nothing to do with the better record.

Where did I say we won games because of QB play? Point was that Bills have shown you can win more than 3 games with replacement QB play.

The idea that removing Tyrod means 3 years of 3 and 13 records is crazy overreaction.

I agree with you about MickeyD but not about Norman. He's wildly overrated. He just wasn't worth what he was asking and they made a business decision knowing that they were losing a good player. Plus he's a total headache off the field.

Anyway - I hope I'm wrong but right now this coaching staff is shaping up to look a lot like the Jauron staff. Maybe one of the consequences of the Pegulas' "it's not 17 years" mantra is that in distancing themselves from the past, they may be missing opportunities to learn from the myriad mistakes that have been made during that time period...

How do you figure it's looking like the Jauron staff?

Boring 4-3 coach with an understated personality seen as an antidote to the blowhard who was just fired. Underwhelming special teams approach. Greg Olson (if it's him) is a Turk Schonert clone.

Except that McDermott is 14 years younger (than Jauron was when he became HC of the Bills), a first time HC, coached better defenses, and won't be trying to install a defense what was already on its way out. As for being boring, I don't know how fiery McDermott is, but it is impossible for anyone to be less stone-faced than Jauron was.