Anyone use Harry's or dollar shave club?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking to step your game in the shaving department, buy a good, expensive safety razor that takes old fashioned razor blades...proper shaving lather in bar soap foam, a cup, and a brush.

I.E., shave like it's still 1943.

You'll never go back to garbage "cartridge razors" of any description.

There are a ton of informational videos on youtube for those that don't really know what I'm talking about.

If you are looking to step your game in the shaving department, buy a good, expensive safety razor that takes old fashioned razor blades...proper shaving lather in bar soap foam, a cup, and a brush.

There are a ton of informational videos on youtube for those that don't really know what I'm talking about.

This stinks of effort.

Did this about 10 years ago and never went back. Blades are much better and cost about 50 cents each.

This stinks of effort.

Once you are up and running it really is not an enormous amount of work.

The razor will be expensive, but you'll have it forever. As was mentioned previously, blades are of outstanding quality and dirt cheap compared to cartridges.

The entire modern shaving industry is driven by marketing gimmicks, not engineering quality.

One blade, 2, 3, "quattro". Pivot, tilt, bend....moisture strip...

It's all garbage...and expensive!

Here's what you do:

razor

https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handled-Safety-Razor/dp/B000NL0T1G/

blades

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W4BNBE/

soap

https://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Stick-White-Count/dp/B000VAWZ2U

this amount of blades and soap will probably last 3-4 years at least.

I usually don't bother with a brush, but I get away with it because most of my face is bearded, so I just use the beard and my fingers with the soap stick to build a lather in the shower. A decent brush can be had for 50$ and will last a lifetime.

Here's what you do:

razor

https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handled-Safety-Razor/dp/B000NL0T1G/

blades

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W4BNBE/

soap

https://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Stick-White-Count/dp/B000VAWZ2U

this amount of blades and soap will probably last 3-4 years at least.

I usually don't bother with a brush, but I get away with it because most of my face is bearded, so I just use the beard and my fingers with the soap stick to build a lather in the shower. A decent brush can be had for 50$ and will last a lifetime.

there *is* a badass factor to that, isn't there?

I have never found a good way to shave.

My hair is extremely fine with a lot of ingrown hairs and bumps so I so not shave that often but it can takes weeks for people to notice I did not shave; I notice it immediately unfortunately. I get the long hairs of teenagers despite being in mid 50s which makes it worse.

I have never found a good razor, electric or blade, effective on my face. I currently use an electric razor supposed to be part of a barber kit.

I love the feel of a barber shave but those type of shops are gone.

I use these, the single blade is like the barber shop. My hair is pretty tuff and blades last awhile so yours might last forever. Took me a bit to get used as I was pressing too hard and cutting myself. Once a lightened up the blade did all the work for me.

https://www.onerazor.com/?mid=4768600

• 2 weeks later...

You must have a woman's arm hair as your facial hair then b.c my facial hair is so thick a blade that old would just be better served ripping the hair out.

Keep the blade in mineral oil. Not saying that you will get you mega marathon Hammersticks blade longevity (boyish peach fuzz helping)... :-P... But, it will help.

BTW... Full beard for me the last two years, sans during summertime... ALL good hipsters try to put the stinking cheating Pats** & Gillete out of business! ;-) ;-)

Wonder how that works?

Using a Sharper Image mirror for years... Works Gr8... Hooks up to shower head and allows water (via small valve) to flow behind mirror.

No other way to shave! Shower softens the tough beard

I did this for a few years. Shave is about the same as regular. Cheaper blades.

But let's not lie. You get cut sometimes and that does not happen with modern razors.

I now use Harry's. No need for the vibrating 10$ blades.

I use the fusion power thing too and love it! Smotthest shave i have ever had, and no cuts in like 6 years

I get the blades at Costco...just about $3 per blade.

Not sure what these shave clubs cost, but have a hard time it can really be all that much cheaper than that...and a blade last me about 3 weeks.

I am medium beard, so maybe if heavy beard it would be different

I use the fusion power thing too and love it! Smotthest shave i have ever had, and no cuts in like 6 years

I get the blades at Costco...just about $3 per blade.

Not sure what these shave clubs cost, but have a hard time it can really be all that much cheaper than that...and a blade last me about 3 weeks.

I am medium beard, so maybe if heavy beard it would be different

You're right...

Throw away society. "YOU, WE, deserve more, better!"

Men's razor have always been the epitome of this concept. Give them the free handle, charge them through roof with matching refills. The new model clubs: keep them coming back.

"Comfort" sure sells... Get you paying into a club and throwing blades away willy nilly at the slightest hint of discomfort. Why they make the lube strip on razor change color... Keep people paying, men throwing away fine razor blades.

Make people soft makes more $$$. Pander to people's fears... OMG, your tires are down to 3/32s... Indicator gone... Time to buy a whole new set!