McDermott x's and o's

boyst

Will you please stay out of this thread? It's about actual football stuff.

It was a nice try, but not going to happen. He will continue to post the same opinion over and over in every thread opened, just in case you missed it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pass rush comes from coverage. He does come coverage a lot but if he is true to his word we will see man coverage. Man coverage suits us better. He plays his safeties more to what people think a linebacker may do, provided he can get a safety to play outfield when needed.

Our outside pass rush won't be from.the outside. Hughes may not have as solid of year but kyle and Dareus will. I will look for him to move Washington outside. He may work with Hughes to get him to the QB. I haven't seen him do this but he hasn't had someone with the skill set of Hughes

Thank you jboyst. I hope you're right about big 99, you can build a strong defense around this line.

Safety play being less emphasized comes as a timely blessing...

Dont see the appeal of McDermott.

That's all. But I think Whaley should be on a two year leash and a prove it now type of arrangement with Lynn as HC and Tyrod back as QB.

I'll reserve judgement until a decision is made on the coaching staff and QB situation.

then try shutting your mouf and reading this thread and maybe you'll learn ya sumtin

No more 200 yard rushers?

no reason to believe so. And if I'm McDermott I don't build around Dareus. Not until he wants to show up and do his job. I make his ass buy in

Does keeping Gilmore become a necessity now in your opinion?

always was. Bills fans look a gift horse in tbr mouth wrt to CBS. He has a value, though. He needs to be retained. I'd go $12mm/yr

Woods is a priority fwiw, IMO.

The biggest takeaway I get from watching McDermott's defense is the approach to using his front-4.

Perhaps it's because of the talent that he had, but he loved to use Short and Lotuleilei to force things inside. This fits having Kyle and Dareus really well, but it will rely on the EDGE guys to be a bit patient on run plays and not crash so heavily.

I also really like that he uses his front-4 to generate pressure in the pass game...this is where I want to see what he can do. If he can put our DTs in position to attack the pocket, I expect Hughes and Shaq to gain more than a few cleanup sacks.

I really do worry about the LB and safety spots though--I don't want to be in a position where this team is forced into drafting for need.

he is going to be doing stunts. He will keep Ragland clean. Its gonna come down to if Ragland is good or average when its said and done.

Ragland having more than 3 sacks would be surprising. But he needs to have 3-4 picks and several tol's. He needs to have 90+ tackles.

Thank you jboyst. I hope you're right about big 99, you can build a strong defense around this line.

Safety play being less emphasized comes as a timely blessing...

with him I hope we get that hooker out of Columbus. Everyone's mind will be blown.

no reason to believe so. And if I'm McDermott I don't build around Dareus. Not until he wants to show up and do his job. I make his ass buy in

always was. Bills fans look a gift horse in tbr mouth wrt to CBS. He has a value, though. He needs to be retained. I'd go $12mm/yr

he is going to be doing stunts. He will keep Ragland clean. Its gonna come down to if Ragland is good or average when its said and done.

Ragland having more than 3 sacks would be surprising. But he needs to have 3-4 picks and several tol's. He needs to have 90+ tackles.

with him I hope we get that hooker out of Columbus. Everyone's mind will be blown.

PBrown on the Weakside?

Lorax or ZBrown on the Strongside?

Any benefits/pitballs you foresee there?

I dunno that Gilmore is a good fit in this defense. It's 4-3 sure - but it will likely be a primary cover 3 scheme, which requires a corner to play over with no help. Gilmores a press man corner who typically plays under. I'd franchise him and see how it works before id extend him.

What's their base alignment as a 4-3 and how are their ends primarily used?

What responsibilities do their DT's have? How much are their LB's relied on for in coverage?

An add on to that is how does he handle it if personal doesn't allow his first preference

Any thoughts on how is this going to pan out for Darby?

I believe Schultz will move past him on the depth chart :w00t:

Having lived in Clt for 20 years and watched this team, especially this iteration as they are a likable grou:

The Bad

McDermott has never stood out here. I wouldn't know him if I saw him. Not sure he has the leadership skills required of A HC.

Vanilla D. This isn't Necessarily bad but seems to be based on players as opposed to scheme.

Conservative with a lead. Last year they repeatedly gave up or almost gave up double digit leads. Is this him or Rivera deciding to play prevent? I don't know but it was not good.

The Good

He has never had great pass rushers or secondary help. They were in cap hell and he was plugging lesser talent in and getting good results.

The kc game was all on offense. A defense, much like 2015, that carried the weight of an offense similar to out kgun. It was too fast. It was too much for the defense to stay in and control the game. The dink and dunk offense of kc gets no respect. Keuchly was banged up, poor coverage from a weakened secondary of inexperonce allowed smith to create key matchups in the bubble - that small window where the cb playing off cannot get to. This will also give Pittsburgh trouble this weekend. If kc had a yac guy they'd kill it. Sammy would excel in kc

Hmmmm. Isn't the dink-and-dunk stuff pretty much Brady's bread and butter? I don't watch enough NE to know where the targeted receivers are relative to CB, but if one looks at air yards per attempt, Brady is right down there at 24th with Smith at 26th: Brady 3554 total yards, 1802 air yards, 49.3% YAC. Smith 3502 total yards, 1581 air yards, 54.9% YAC. Brady throws 14-15 ypg further in the air from Smith.

McDermott best craft an answer for the dink n dunk, rapid release stuff if he comes here.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I dunno that Gilmore is a good fit in this defense. It's 4-3 sure - but it will likely be a primary cover 3 scheme, which requires a corner to play over with no help. Gilmores a press man corner who typically plays under. I'd franchise him and see how it works before id extend him.

zone is not as good as man ever. Most teams can't run man due to not having good enough CBS. We got enough good CBS if we keep Gilmore to run man on 3 wr's. No team can do that. Gilmore with 2 other CBS running man means 3 less options and take away the qb. You have something mathematically figures against another number

Any thoughts on how is this going to pan out for Darby?

good. In short Rex didnt have what it took modern day defenses stop passing offenses. He will regress to better than 2016

An add on to that is how does he handle it if personal doesn't allow his first preference

I believe Schultz will move past him on the depth chart :w00t:

we have enough of what he needs to implement his defense successfully. He may not be able to achieve victory but it won't take much to get us to Carolina '15

Having lived in Clt for 20 years and watched this team, especially this iteration as they are a likable grou:

The Bad

McDermott has never stood out here. I wouldn't know him if I saw him. Not sure he has the leadership skills required of A HC.

Vanilla D. This isn't Necessarily bad but seems to be based on players as opposed to scheme.

Conservative with a lead. Last year they repeatedly gave up or almost gave up double digit leads. Is this him or Rivera deciding to play prevent? I don't know but it was not good.

The Good

He has never had great pass rushers or secondary help. They were in cap hell and he was plugging lesser talent in and getting good results.

many oeooke said wade was vanilla. I'm not afraid of vanilla.

Hmmmm. Isn't the dink-and-dunk stuff pretty much Brady's bread and butter? I don't watch enough NE to know where the targeted receivers are relative to CB, but if one looks at air yards per attempt, Brady is right down there at 24th with Smith at 26th: Brady 3554 total yards, 1802 air yards, 49.3% YAC. Smith 3502 total yards, 1581 air yards, 54.9% YAC. Brady throws 14-15 ypg further in the air from Smith.

McDermott best craft an answer for the dink n dunk, rapid release stuff if he comes here.

he has never had a pass rush. Nor CBS as good as ours if we keep Gilmore. Gilmore is better than norman

AJ Klein for sure--maybe Malcolm Smith as well. One of those two, plus re-sign Zach, and the LB group looks a lot better.

I really wanted Sean Lee here. He would be the missing link. Alonso would be nice too

Dont see the appeal of McDermott.

That's all. But I think Whaley should be on a two year leash and a prove it now type of arrangement with Lynn as HC and Tyrod back as QB.

I'll reserve judgement until a decision is made on the coaching staff and QB situation.

Please list 5 things that you do see the appeal in. These do not need to be related to football. I just can't imagine you ever being happy

I watch a lot of Carolina games owing to my brother being a huge fan..safe to say everyone knows that defense runs through Kuechly, his range allowed them to play some pretty subpar safeties over the last few years and it obviously gave Norman (a terrific corner in his own right, better than Gilmore but I'd hazard they're comparable) room to shine in a physical role without having to worry about having the greatest technique as far as pure footwork. I will say that Davis is the perfect complement and we're lacking anything close to that level of talent in the LB department, but those two made the careers of Lotulelei and Short IMHO, I'd say Dareus and Williams/Washington et al can more than adequately fill in their roles.

I think this might rejuvenate a guy like Hughes who can really shine if used properly...heck they've gotten good use out of a marginal talent in Ealy and the corpse of Jared Allen even for a year. Their 2015 defense was really the engine of that season, they really played complementary football with regard to the limitations of the offense. I'm not the biggest X&O guy but stylistically I think McDermott was innovative in that he understood, fundamentally, how to use a fairly simplistic defensive scheme and rotation to the greatest efficiency in terms of WINNING football games...a bit of an anti-Rex in the sense of using the defense to manage games as opposed to NEEDING a dominant performance to succeed...one grumble I heard consistently (could be fanspeak, take it for what it's worth) was a lack of halftime adjustments defensively. Overall I like the hire.

So does this mean we need to resign Gilmore?

Please list 5 things that you do see the appeal in. These do not need to be related to football. I just can't imagine you ever being happy

He sees the appeal in complaining about not seeing the appeal in things.

He is basically the Jerry Sullivan of this board.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I watch a lot of Carolina games owing to my brother being a huge fan..safe to say everyone knows that defense runs through Kuechly, his range allowed them to play some pretty subpar safeties over the last few years and it obviously gave Norman (a terrific corner in his own right, better than Gilmore but I'd hazard they're comparable) room to shine in a physical role without having to worry about having the greatest technique as far as pure footwork. I will say that Davis is the perfect complement and we're lacking anything close to that level of talent in the LB department, but those two made the careers of Lotulelei and Short IMHO, I'd say Dareus and Williams/Washington et al can more than adequately fill in their roles.

I think this might rejuvenate a guy like Hughes who can really shine if used properly...heck they've gotten good use out of a marginal talent in Ealy and the corpse of Jared Allen even for a year. Their 2015 defense was really the engine of that season, they really played complementary football with regard to the limitations of the offense. I'm not the biggest X&O guy but stylistically I think McDermott was innovative in that he understood, fundamentally, how to use a fairly simplistic defensive scheme and rotation to the greatest efficiency in terms of WINNING football games...a bit of an anti-Rex in the sense of using the defense to manage games as opposed to NEEDING a dominant performance to succeed...one grumble I heard consistently (could be fanspeak, take it for what it's worth) was a lack of halftime adjustments defensively. Overall I like the hire.

Great info! Thanks.

Ragland seems like an awkward fit.

Exciting that we could have a pass rush in Buffalo again.