OJ Howard at 10 anyone?

The theory is Kujo can play LT, but not right due to a bad knee. Move Glenn and you solve both spots. Does that work? Not sure..... You never know...

There's no chance that could seriously be considered. It absolutely doesn't work for me.

Would you like to see that?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no chance that could seriously be considered. It absolutely doesn't work for me.

Would you like to see that?

If Glenn agreed to it, as he has already been paid like a LT, then yes. I'm all for having your best 5 guys on the field. It would also mark the first time in about 20 years that we have had a set of bookend OT's as such. It also makes us only need quality depth instead of hunting for a starter.

Move Glenn to RT, sign a mid-level WR, draft Howard at 10.

Then defense and a QB project.

Flame away

Better yet trade back and take Howard at 15-17.

Add a pick to rebuild the secondary.

I feel safe in saying that I have seen OJ as much as anyone non tis board has. I have watched every game in which he has played and have seen him develop. Here is how I view him:

1) He seems like a good kid He listens to and respects his coaches.

2) He is a complete player. He was not always a blocker, but he sure can block now. He has very good hands and good, deceptive speed and gets open quite a bit.

3) He has fresh legs because he was ALWAYS surrounded by tremendously talented players who were going to get their reps.

4) I think that his lack of reps affords a great athlete like this an opportunity to get even better in the NFL. You are seeing this with Julio Jones, and even Amari Cooper. Remember, Saban, despite what he claims, is still primarily a conservative coach. Running backs take away plays from his receivers.

Now, given the above, do I want him at #10? I wouldn't scream and yell, but I would rather see them trade down and think about taking him later on. He might even last into the twenties. Even at that, imo we should draft a quarterback. They just mean SO much more than TEs (or DBs) that they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

In summary, 10 seems high for Howard as much as I like him. But, I would love to see Whaley trade down low enough to get an extra first round pick in 2018 and other considerations.

if we can trade back to 15 and get a 2nd lets do it. he's a huge target and would give tyrod a guy who's open when he's covered. he will block hard for shady and run over defenses. i think this would be a solid pick for us if we're going offense.

If Glenn agreed to it, as he has already been paid like a LT, then yes. I'm all for having your best 5 guys on the field. It would also mark the first time in about 20 years that we have had a set of bookend OT's as such. It also makes us only need quality depth instead of hunting for a starter.

Relying on Kujo is just not where I'm at with him. IMO he is the definition of depth.

I can't believe you just said if Glenn would agree we'd have bookends at tackle unlike we've seen in decades because of Kujo at LT.

Maybe part of the reason that I would be okay with Howard at 10 is he may be the best player on the board at that point. He has been pretty high all along and will climb after having such a spectacular week at the senior bowl. I don't love the idea but don't hate it either. He adds a much needed pass catcher.

I wouldn't hate it because we need another pass catcher. It's a little unconventional but the Pats play 2 tight ends.

The pats have Tom Brady. Sure we could make it would, but it would be a luxury pick at a time where we can't afford luxury. I love Howard, but we have to go Safety, LB or WR imo. RT if we trade down or QB if they love one. If Allen somehow falls he'll probably be the pick though. Giving Dareus a running mate for when Kyle hangs it up

The pats have Tom Brady. Sure we could make it would, but it would be a luxury pick at a time where we can't afford luxury. I love Howard, but we have to go Safety, LB or WR imo. RT if we trade down or QB if they love one. If Allen somehow falls he'll probably be the pick though. Giving Dareus a running mate for when Kyle hangs it up

I guess I could view TE or WR as interchangeable. You could be deceptive as to what your plan is. Will both guys be on the line? Split out? 1 and 1? They can still be a threat to throw even if they went to 22 personnel. Nobody is doing that. If the offense is designed well they can create mismatches before breaking the huddle. Again, I'm not advocating for it but it presents some interesting possibilities in the running and passing game (not to mention another guy with a large catch radius).

One thing that I'd be a little concerned about is if you designed this ultra-creative 2 TE offense. What happens if one of them goes out? That's certainly a concern.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I feel safe in saying that I have seen OJ as much as anyone non tis board has. I have watched every game in which he has played and have seen him develop. Here is how I view him:

1) He seems like a good kid He listens to and respects his coaches.

2) He is a complete player. He was not always a blocker, but he sure can block now. He has very good hands and good, deceptive speed and gets open quite a bit.

3) He has fresh legs because he was ALWAYS surrounded by tremendously talented players who were going to get their reps.

4) I think that his lack of reps affords a great athlete like this an opportunity to get even better in the NFL. You are seeing this with Julio Jones, and even Amari Cooper. Remember, Saban, despite what he claims, is still primarily a conservative coach. Running backs take away plays from his receivers.

Now, given the above, do I want him at #10? I wouldn't scream and yell, but I would rather see them trade down and think about taking him later on. He might even last into the twenties. Even at that, imo we should draft a quarterback. They just mean SO much more than TEs (or DBs) that they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

In summary, 10 seems high for Howard as much as I like him. But, I would love to see Whaley trade down low enough to get an extra first round pick in 2018 and other considerations.

With respect to the highlighted area I'm not aware that Whaley trades down much? He seems to be more inclined to trade picks to move up. I would prefer that he would trade down and gather more picks to use this year.

I have been a supporter of Whaley. Still am. However, what I can say is that on draft day he tends to make moves that ultimately prove to outsmart himself. The Watkins maneuver is a squandered move because the qb was not in place to maximize the return on the receiver's talents. The same logic applies to the expensive Clay acquisition, not because he isn't a good receiving TE, because he is, but his talents are squandered because the qb isn't capable to maximize his talents.

Basically, what I am saying is that the sequencing of your decisions has much to do with the success of the decisions you are making. The cart before the horse approach sometimes has diminished the value of the talent that he has brought in.

It gets tiresome to hear but the Nix/Whaley regimes have had more than enough opportunities to get the qb situation addressed. They didn't get it done. The failure to get that linchpin position adequately addressed has continued to plague this franchise.

If we keep Tyrod, I'm fine with adding Howard at 10. We need more pass catchers and he looks elite. Two TE sets can create ridiculous mismatches.

Tyrod's snap to release time slows our offense down too much... Devastating on those long, stalled drives because it literally wastes our time... Watching him stroll casually up to the line of scrimmage after completions is also VERY unnerving. Drives me frickin' nuts!... He may be a mobile QB, but Tyrod has NO SENSE OF TEMPO WHATSOEVER. -Zero... I like the idea of him staying on, but as a BACKUP. -A very good one, mind you. -But that's it.

I guess I could view TE or WR as interchangeable. You could be deceptive as to what your plan is. Will both guys be on the line? Split out? 1 and 1? They can still be a threat to throw even if they went to 22 personnel. Nobody is doing that. If the offense is designed well they can create mismatches before breaking the huddle. Again, I'm not advocating for it but it presents some interesting possibilities in the running and passing game (not to mention another guy with a large catch radius).

One thing that I'd be a little concerned about is if you designed this ultra-creative 2 TE offense. What happens if one of them goes out? That's certainly a concern.

I hear ya. I'm sure it could work. If he Howard turns out to be all world, which he certainly looks like, it would be a decent pick. I just wouldn't be happy with it at 10. A trade down and drafting him makes a lot of sense

No way a TE at 10 - would be laughing stock. If Mike Williams is available we should run to the podium, otherwise it should be a QB.

Go Bills!!!!!

Could you imagine McCoy, Watkins, Clay, Howard, and a FA WR? They could run two TE all game and run or pass from any formation. The defense would have to stay in their base. If they went nickel McCoy would run for 200.

That said although they would not be a laughing stock, I would run to the podium for them for Williams at 10.

I hear ya. I'm sure it could work. If he Howard turns out to be all world, which he certainly looks like, it would be a decent pick. I just wouldn't be happy with it at 10. A trade down and drafting him makes a lot of sense

I don't disagree. A trade down would be ideal if Williams, Davis, Hooker or Adams isn't on the board. I could live with Foster as well. I think all 5 of those guys (6 too if you include Howard) will be Pro Bowl type players early in their careers.

With respect to the highlighted area I'm not aware that Whaley trades down much? He seems to be more inclined to trade picks to move up. I would prefer that he would trade down and gather more picks to use this year.

I have been a supporter of Whaley. Still am. However, what I can say is that on draft day he tends to make moves that ultimately prove to outsmart himself. The Watkins maneuver is a squandered move because the qb was not in place to maximize the return on the receiver's talents. The same logic applies to the expensive Clay acquisition, not because he isn't a good receiving TE, because he is, but his talents are squandered because the qb isn't capable to maximize his talents.

Basically, what I am saying is that the sequencing of your decisions has much to do with the success of the decisions you are making. The cart before the horse approach sometimes has diminished the value of the talent that he has brought in.

It gets tiresome to hear but the Nix/Whaley regimes have had more than enough opportunities to get the qb situation addressed. They didn't get it done. The failure to get that linchpin position adequately addressed has continued to plague this franchise.

Reading your post, I agree with all of it except for your support of Whaley. Frankly, it's hard to understand because you list GREAT reasons for not liking the job he has done. I consider Whaley a horrible GM for the very reasons that you list. Let's just hope he doesn't grab a DB at 10, or even trade up for one. The Bills need more picks, not less.

Btw, if they stay at 10 and get Watson I will be fine with that. You?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Maybe part of the reason that I would be okay with Howard at 10 is he may be the best player on the board at that point. He has been pretty high all along and will climb after having such a spectacular week at the senior bowl. I don't love the idea but don't hate it either. He adds a much needed pass catcher.

As long as the Bills get a #2 WR, WLB, and CB in FA (whether that's retaining Gilmore or not), then I'd be OK with OJ at 10. Having 2WR and 2TE like Clay and OJ would make for a very difficult to defend offense. The only negative I've read about him is his desire, which is certainly a red flag.