If Sammy Watkins turned in Odell Beckham Jr's performance...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a logical hypothetical situation. This is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Sammy needs to change his playing culture. This was a bad game for Odell, however, his body of work is apparent.

Imo

I think this highlights as to why DW traded up for Sammy instead of waiting for for Odell in the draft.

Realize that Odell has only had four more starts than Sammy, Odell's number variance over Sammy is more about QB than skill set.

Sammy can be a Larry Fitzgerald type of talent. Odell has more of a Chad Johnson mentality. We know who lasted longer in the league.

When drafting players in the first round not only do you look at skill but character and leadership. Watkins has displayed both of those during his short time here. He preaches accountability. He stays humble and just works. Sure injuries seem to always hamper his performance. But honestly if he had Eli throwing to him in his career rather than EJ Manual and Tyrod Taylor I beileve his stats would be way more impressive. I also believe having Eli behind center would also make the sacrifice of a 18th overall pick for Sammy over Odell well worth it.

Sammy is still young and can be a Fitzgerald type of presence for the Bills over the next 10 seasons. Hopefully the Bills can find a QB that can get him the ball. When (not if) the Bills finally start making post season runs they will benefit from the presence of a Sammy Watkins over Odell Beckham in more ways than one.

Meanwhile in NY they'll be hoping Odell can grow up.

The point of the thread is reaction to how some on here are frothing at the mouth waiting to pounce at anything Watkins does and continue to bemoan a draft pick that we have no idea what they would have accomplished.

Center stage first playoff game (after two 6-10 seasons) and he was terrible. Doesn't mean he is terrible, but certainly can question his ability and maturity.

Watkins is berated for dealing with injuries, playing with lousy offensive schemes and yes he made some comments about the continual trolling of some.

The point of the thread is reaction to how some on here are frothing at the mouth waiting to pounce at anything Watkins does and continue to bemoan a draft pick that we have no idea what they would have accomplished.

Center stage first playoff game (after two 6-10 seasons) and he was terrible. Doesn't mean he is terrible, but certainly can question his ability and maturity.

Watkins is berated for dealing with injuries, playing with lousy offensive schemes and yes he made some comments about the continual trolling of some.

Odell is extremely talented as is Watkins. But in the NFL its about more than talent. It's about maturity, work ethic and leadership.

Watkins already has all three traits (maturity in regards to what's most important when it comes to be successful in this league. I believe his youth doesn't allow that message to come out in the best form at times).

Odell on the other hand is still a work in progress.

I think this highlights as to why DW traded up for Sammy instead of waiting for for Odell in the draft.

Realize that Odell has only had four more starts than Sammy, Odell's number variance over Sammy is more about QB than skill set.

Sammy can be a Larry Fitzgerald type of talent. Odell has more of a Chad Johnson mentality. We know who lasted longer in the league.

When drafting players in the first round not only do you look at skill but character and leadership. Watkins has displayed both of those during his short time here. He preaches accountability. He stays humble and just works. Sure injuries seem to always hamper his performance. But honestly if he had Eli throwing to him in his career rather than EJ Manual and Tyrod Taylor I beileve his stats would be way more impressive. I also believe having Eli behind center would also make the sacrifice of a 18th overall pick for Sammy over Odell well worth it.

Sammy is still young and can be a Fitzgerald type of presence for the Bills over the next 10 seasons. Hopefully the Bills can find a QB that can get him the ball. When (not if) the Bills finally start making post season runs they will benefit from the presence of a Sammy Watkins over Odell Beckham in more ways than one.

Meanwhile in NY they'll be hoping Odell can grow up.

Until Sammy catches all those passes, the numbers comparing the tow are what they are.

As for "character and leadership", was that on display when last year he publicly moaned and groaned about not getting enough targets? And when he told the world "I need the ball at least 10 times -- I need 10 targets -- and l'll be fine with however many yards I get," Watkins told the newspaper. "And that's what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some string like, 'Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem.'

"'You're making me look bad, and you're making yourself look bad."

Is that the mature selflessness you are alluding to?

And how about this year when he made sure that every errant pass his way was rewarded with a hands up/head shake/eye roll? Is that more of a "Larry Fitzgerald" or a "Chad Johnson" that you were referencing?

A leader? This is what Sammy "ranted" about in the locker room at the end of 215 season:

"I'm going to step up and talk," Watkins said. "I'm going to make sure things get changed.

"We've got the team, the coaches, the staff. We've got to figure it out."

"We've got to take over as players," Watkins said. "We can't put everything on the coaches and blame whatever the situation is. We've got to go out and play every week and we've got to demand that from each other and forget the coaches. It's not the coaches' team. It's the players' team. It's player-driven. We've just got to work on ourselves and gain more leaders."

"We've just got to be disciplined. It's really the penalties on both sides of the ball. I think once we fix the penalties and the little things, we'll be alright on offense. Like I said, it comes with the players. We've got to take more accountability. If we need to watch more film and less practice, that's what we need to do, because everyone needs to know their job and do it full speed."

And then, here we have Sammy at the end of this season:

"Whatever around the locker room that needs to be addressed, on the field, off the field, flags,” . “Whether it’s working on things in the summer that we’re not good at and being a professional. As players that’s got to get fixed first. Then the coaches have got to be hard on us, not scared of us. Get at us, yell at us, curse at us, whatever to get the player to do that job the best he can that’s what they need to do.”

So...from it's not the coach's team it's the players' team and "we've" got to be more disciplined and "accountable" ....

to....it's the coaches' fault--they were not tough enough on us and we can't discipline ourselves!

Born leader right there.

No, you really can't. Not credibly.

Ack. The NYG are poor losers.

NY Giants players allegedly vandalized their airplane after leaving Green Bay, causing ensuing flight delay

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/ny-giants-players-allegedly-vandalized-their-airplane-after-leaving-green-bay-causing-ensuing-flight-delay.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by YoloinOhio

OBJ laid an egg in the perfect game to show everyone just who he is: a spoiled brat.

My hands are cold, so lets just half ass it. Then he warms up inside and wants to hit something.

He's right though, itll be a long offseason of appearances, promotions, and twitter talk. Hope he has a nice warm coat to wear.

You people crack me up

OBJ: 288 receptions for 4,122 yards and 35 TDs

Watkins: 153 receptions for 2,459 yards and 17 TDs

Sammy is the better WR with all things being equal. Stats don't tell the whole picture, and I don't say that as a Bills fan, I say that as a football fan. I have no problem saying another player is better than a Bills player.

1. Sammy plays on the team at the bottom of the league in pass attempts. OBJ plays on a team that force feeds him the ball and has the single worst stable of RB's in the NFL and almost non existent rushing attack.

2. Sammy has played 4 less games, but more importantly played at less than 100% in many others as he toughed out injuries and played through them.

3. Sammy has a better attitude.

4. Sammy runs better routes and drops less passes.

5. OBJ has a 2 time SB champion and MVP throwing him passes. Sammy has spent HALF of all of his started games catch passes from EJ and Kyle Orton. The other half, from a running QB on a run first team who struggles to see the middle of the field.

The ONLY negative against Sammy is that he played hurt for the first part of last year and had the foot injury this year. When healthy he is one of the best WR's in Football.

Edited by Alphadawg7