HC candidate Harold Goodwin - interviews 1/7

YoloinOhio

@josinaanderson

Source texts me #Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin is scheduled to meet with the "#Rams on Thursday & the #Bills on Saturday."

I find this candidate interesting because thus far he's one of the only external offensive HC candidates. Anyone have insight into him? I don't really follow the Cardinals at all but I know a lot of people here watched the Netflix series on the team and wondered if he was in it and how he came across.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one very positive article about him. 43 years old. Ten years under Arians. Run game is his forte. He was also in Pittsburgh when Whaley was there. Players talk about his intelligence. Sounds like Arians has been getting him ready to be HC with his responsibilities.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/24286/cardinals-offensive-linemen-feel-harold-goodwin-is-ready-to-be-an-nfl-head-coach

Edited by YoloinOhio

I really like this guy a lot. You can tell by interviews that he's very quick-minded and sharp. I think very highly of Arians and Goodwin has been his right-hand many for a number of years now. Could be wrong but I think his style of offense could work with Taylor.

If he brings a good 4-3 defensive coordinator with him then I think he'd be a great hire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV9r-cCwH-8

Oh and by the way both Goodwin and Whaley worked for the Steelers from 2007-2009. Goodwin was the offensive line coach and quality control coordinator.

Never heard of the guy until now . Arians did most or all of the play calling in the game so is that a red flag ?

Rex was the master mind of the D & called the plays but Thurmon was the D coordinator .

How did that work ??

Never heard of the guy until now . Arians did most or all of the play calling in the game so is that a red flag ?

Rex was the master mind of the D & called the plays but Thurmon was the D coordinator .

How did that work ??

Head coaches shouldn't call plays. They should concentrate on the HC duties on their plate. By not being able to delegate the (overrated) responsibilities of play-calling they're just being a micromanager.

As HC Goodwin won't need to call plays. And he'll be better for it.

Head coaches shouldn't call plays. They should concentrate on the HC duties on their plate. By not being able to delegate the (overrated) responsibilities of play-calling they're just being a micromanager.

As HC Goodwin won't need to call plays. And he'll be better for it.

This is really a misinformed take. There's a ton of successful head coaches that call plays. Calling plays is one of the most important responsibilities in all of football - it's critical the right person is doing it.

I have been trumpeting Goodwin as a Head Coaching candidate for 2 years. He was my wildcard to get a job last hiring season. I like him a lot. I'm leaning towards a defense hire for the Bills right now but the most important thing needs to be ability to lead. If the Bills think Goodwin is a guy who players would follow then they should seriously consider hiring him. I know there are a few people who seem to want a retread here.... but unless it is Coughlin (and that in itself has drawbacks) I don't see a single retread out the who I'd hire.

Not sure how Goodwin fits the 4-3 pattern.... again him being able to snare a top DC would make all the difference.

How did that work ??

Same could be said for Pederson in Philly. He did stroons in KC for Andy Reid, or so it's said. He's done alright in Philly so far.

Why?

He has a great name.

From the admittedly little that I read about him (article linked earlier in thread), he seems like a great fit with Lynn in terms of philosophy and strengths. If goodwin were to be hired and Lynn didn't get a HC job, I think the tandem of Goodwin HC and Lynn OC would be really strong.

@john_wawrow

Confirming previous reports: #Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin on deck to interview with #Bills on Saturday.

It makes me happy that they didn't stop interviewing after Lynn. *Whew*.

From the admittedly little that I read about him (article linked earlier in thread), he seems like a great fit with Lynn in terms of philosophy and strengths. If goodwin were to be hired and Lynn didn't get a HC job, I think the tandem of Goodwin HC and Lynn OC would be really strong.

Do you know if Lynn and Goodwin have any previous points of intersection where they both worked for the same guy at different times, or both worked together?