Russ Brandon finally getting flak in the national media

Easy pickins' -- I don't think the "real" football world gave it much of a 2nd thought. Just the talking heads and casual fans -- and local Buffalo media who can't seem to figure out a pretty clear explanation.

Im not a casual fan and Im giving this plenty of thought. Seems like the article is spot on and as long as we have non football people who dont know what their doing in the Pegulas ear we have a problem. Pretty obvious Mr. DontLetHimOutoftheBuilding had Pegulas ear on Ryan hiring which is one of the worst coaching hires in Bills history. Wouldnt be a stretch to say hes probably got Pegulas ear now. When you have a new owner who doesnt know what hes doing you dont need people who are clueless advising him in any way shape or form.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not paying attention. It's big news pretty much everywhere. See Jenny Vrentas' new story up on mmqb right now. There are a lot of other examples. And yes, the media is part of the "real" football world - it pays all of those salaries at the end of the day.

Ok, I'm going to apologize for my earlier comment. I had not read the PFT article and assumed it was more Whaley bashing. He's basically saying what all of us have been saying -- Brandon needs to be out of the football decisions. It seems as though that's what the Pegulas are now doing.

In a real football world, coaches hold their team's interests ahead of their son's bowl games

There's a helpful non sequitur

Ok, I'm going to apologize for my earlier comment. I had not read the PFT article and assumed it was more Whaley bashing. He's basically saying what all of us have been saying -- Brandon needs to be out of the football decisions. It seems as though that's what the Pegulas are now doing.

Actually, this is what he said:

Monday’s epic (not in a good way) press conference involving Bills G.M. Doug Whaley created the impression that Whaley doesn’t have nearly as much power as a General Manager usually possesses. So the question then becomes obvious: If Whaley doesn’t, who does?

Unless he was lying about his lack of input or knowledge regarding the firing of former coach Rex Ryan, Whaley came off as a glorified scout at best, responsible for drafting and otherwise acquiring players but having no broader oversight regarding the football operations.

Get off the bus, Russ.

Hire Coughlin as team Prez

Keep Whaley as GM, let him mature as an NFL GM under a real, football mind.

Have Whaley spend the rest of the offseason in Cleveland sweet talking them out of that first overall of theirs.

Get Trubisky

Let the dynasty begin

The playoffs are coming up. You think anyone outside of Buffalo cares about the Bills end of the season presser other than just to have an excuse to make fun of a team they barely watch? There are literally 10 things that happened yesterday that were bigger "national news." Russ Brandon was mentioned at the presser in passing, the fact that there are now articles being written by national media insinuating he's pulling the strings behind the scenes indicates someone pointed them in Russ' direction.

Timmah!!! :ph34r:

As I said elsewhere, I wouldn't be shocked if Rex pushed for the firing before week 17 so he could see the Clemson game. Does anyone know if he attended?

What does that even mean? Push for a firing?

It is possible to quit a job, right? Happens all the time, in fact. And it's not like the Buffalo Bills have never had a head coach quit before. And might that be a tad, ah, embarrassing?

What does that even mean? Push for a firing?

It is possible to quit a job, right? Happens all the time, in fact. And it's not like the Buffalo Bills have never had a head coach quit before. And might that be a tad, ah, embarrassing?

If hequits he dosent get his money

There's a helpful non sequitur

Actually, this is what he said:

Monday’s epic (not in a good way) press conference involving Bills G.M. Doug Whaley created the impression that Whaley doesn’t have nearly as much power as a General Manager usually possesses. So the question then becomes obvious: If Whaley doesn’t, who does?

Unless he was lying about his lack of input or knowledge regarding the firing of former coach Rex Ryan, Whaley came off as a glorified scout at best, responsible for drafting and otherwise acquiring players but having no broader oversight regarding the football operations.

Just speculating about Rex's motivation to have the private chat about his status? Why would both mutually decide he shouldn't coach on Sunday?

And Whaley wasn't lying. He didn't know that Rex was fired until Pegula told him and he didn't want to get into details of what his views were of Rex's coaching acumen.

Wouldn't surprise me that NFL owners and the NFL organization are stoking the media fire on the Bills. There are too many unstable franchises.

The NFL can't be delighted to have mercury spills in San Francisco, San Diego and Buffalo and the failed nation/state of Cleveland Browns all the while trying to keep the Titans, Raiders and the Rams from descending into the same depths at the same time.

All need to be re-evaluated:

Jim Monos: our Director of player personnel---has he interviewed to be a GM anywhere? Get rid of him

Rob Hanrahan: Director of pro personnel---same. Get rid of him

Kelvin Fisher: player personnel advisor. What the heck does he even do?

I'm done focusing on Brandon. These guys in the player personnel departments are a bigger problem.

To clarify. I AGREE with the article, I just think it's interesting that it's finally becoming a story now. Brandon has been IMO the driving force behind most of the bad decisions made around here over the past decade. He was even de facto GM when Levy resigned. Does anyone really believe the guy was took on the GM role, while completely unqualified to do so, failed miserably and then got promoted isn't the puppet-master here?

All need to be re-evaluated: Jim Monos: our Director of player personnel---has he interviewed to be a GM anywhere? Get rid of him Rob Hanrahan: Director of pro personnel---same. Get rid of him Kelvin Fisher: player personnel advisor. What the heck does he even do? I'm done focusing on Brandon. These guys in the player personnel departments are a bigger problem.

They suck for identifying and bringing in guys like Gillislee, Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So Rex bluffed the owner into "firing" him, is what you are saying. Maybe Rex isn't as stupid as some people think?

Thats as incorrect of a way to phrase it as possible.

Once Rex signed that contract, he was getting the full 25 million whether he coached four games or five seasons. Rex never cared about the Bills. He didnt care how well we did. That was evident the moment he hired his brother.

Rex did not work hard at his job, which is why we had 27 coaches under him. Which is why the defense sucked this year. Rex did not care. Yes, he took Pegulas for a ride.

We didnt want Rex back, and Rex didnt want to come back. All he wanted was tye 25 million, and he got it.

Dont forget, the Pegulas had JUST bought the team, when Marrone quit, and needed to do something. They wanted to make a splash, and did. They tried. Dont hold it against them.

All need to be re-evaluated: Jim Monos: our Director of player personnel---has he interviewed to be a GM anywhere? Get rid of him Rob Hanrahan: Director of pro personnel---same. Get rid of him Kelvin Fisher: player personnel advisor. What the heck does he even do? I'm done focusing on Brandon. These guys in the player personnel departments are a bigger problem. They suck for identifying and bringing in guys like Gillislee, Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown.
How much of Lorax and Zach Brown or any of them were Rex? We know he wanted Incognito.

I said re-evaluated. I think they can all go and we'd be better off.If you think Monos is doing a heck of a job....great. Maintain the status quo. Or let's all keep the heat on Russ Brandon.

Get off the bus, Russ.

Hire Coughlin as team Prez

Keep Whaley as GM, let him mature as an NFL GM under a real, football mind.

Have Whaley spend the rest of the offseason in Cleveland sweet talking them out of that first overall of theirs.

Get Trubisky

Let the dynasty begin

Coughlin was a head coach...what qualifies him to be team president?

How much of Lorax and Zach Brown or any of them were Rex? We know he wanted Incognito.

I said re-evaluated. I think they can all go and we'd be better off. If you think Monos is doing a heck of a job....great. Maintain the status quo. Or let's all keep the heat on Russ Brandon.

You ought to know already since your claim is that the pro personnel staff is a problem.