Russ Brandon finally getting flak in the national media

Why would they give us an Org Chart? Hell, I own Apple stock and they didn't send me, AN OWNER, an Org Chart! :beer:

Pure conflation. Nice try Hondo.

What is THAT supposed to mean?

As for the org chart, I think its pretty clear they do have one. It just may not look the way that you want it to.

Does Doug Whaley know what it looks like? Because after yesterday's performance he seems confused with all the dotted lines and, you know, stuff. I'll bet he knows who signs his pay check.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He answered the question.

It's easy to understand how you'd be unclear given Florio's own issues with regurgitating previously regurgitated tweets from that presser.

Time to find another WEO WABBIT hole to drag people into.

Yeah, a real rabbit hole!

Look, if your married to the notion that Whaley is a great GM doing a fine job, despite the current state of the team, then you are going to see that press conference as another primo performance by the Bills GM. You aren't concerned that he can't describe what Brandon's role on the Bills is. You don't bat an eye when he claims that he didn't know Rex was in trouble and that he was surprised Rex was fired.

All fine. Nothing there but a bloodsucking press corps bent on asking him questions about all this and then reporting his answers.

Who's got their head in a hole?

Edited by Mr. WEO

The Bills need to flush out EVERYONE: Brandon, Overdorf, Whaley all the way down, hire a President with football experience who has complete control over decisions and can help the Pegulas make GM and HC decisions. Transparent. One voice.

Its amazing how much of a mess the Bills look right now. Guess money does not fix everything.

Yeah, a real rabbit hole!

Look, if your married to the notion that Whaley is a great GM doing a fine job, despite the current state of the team, then you are going to see that press conference as another primo performance by the Bills GM. You aren't concerned that he can't describe what Brandon's role on the Bills is. You don't bat an eye when he claims that he didn't know Rex was in trouble and that he was surprised Rex was fired.

All fine. Nothing there but a bloodsucking press corps bent on asking him questions about all this and then reporting his answers.

Who's got their head in a hole?

Wrap this around your brain: my criticism of the media's amateur hour at his presser is not the same as an endorsement of Whaley's abilities as a GM which are, in my opinion, a mixed bag at best.

Now go find someone else to engage in your particular brand of intellectual dishonesty.

The Bills need to flush out EVERYONE: Brandon, Overdorf, Whaley all the way down, hire a President with football experience who has complete control over decisions and can help the Pegulas make GM and HC decisions. Transparent. One voice.

Its amazing how much of a mess the Bills look right now. Guess money does not fix everything.

With the exception of Brandon who has moved into different areas of responsibility in the greater scope of PSE, don't be surprised if the Pegulas do this sooner rather than later. Although Jimmy O is highly valued for his cap expertise. Every team employs a guy like him nowadays.

With the exception of Brandon who has moved into different areas of responsibility in the greater scope of PSE, don't be surprised if the Pegulas do this sooner rather than later. Although Jimmy O is highly valued for his cap expertise. Every team employs a guy like him nowadays.

I do agree with you on this. One thing about Jimmy O though: He has been a constant through this drought: I think he has a hand in this too. It is time to DrainTheOneBillsDriveSwamp once and for all!

These press conferences are pretty useless. Apart from maybe a funny anecdote we're never going to get actual information. The team is obligated to meet with the media and so we get canned answers like "we'll evaluate everything" and "we will make the best decision for this organization" or "we have to get things right." This leads to frustration by the media and in TBN's case, leads them to generate their own content through turmoil.

There are other teams where the HC and GM report to the owner directly - Jenny Vrentas' article confirms this. What we have here is a case where the owners don't like press scrums, but they are the people who made the actual decisions here. Of course Whaley and Lynn were left "twisting in the wind", they didn't have the information that the press wanted and they were hounded for it. Would it have been nice to have some more info on the whole process? Sure. Are we owed that information? No. Do I believe this team is dysfunctional? More likely than not. Is it possible that things are exactly what they're saying they are? Sure. It's entirely possible that the Pegulas listened to the wrong person in hiring Rex (Brandon), saw that they made a mistake and attempted to correct that mistake by letting Rex go when he asked about his future and are attempting to right the ship by letting Whaley head up the search. None of this is helped by the contentious relationship Whaley obviously has with the media. He needs to be better at managing these press conferences because they distract focus from his stated goal of improving the team.

I do agree with you on this. One thing about Jimmy O though: He has been a constant through this drought: I think he has a hand in this too. It is time to DrainTheOneBillsDriveSwamp once and for all!

Jimmy O was a direct hire by Mr. Wilson and was really an extension of his and Littman's presence from Detroit whose main responsibility was to ensure the organization toed the bottom line of the imposed budget constraints from Detroit. He was not a welcomed presence by the football side and was often seen as a nuisance and imposition, especially early on. His involvement in "football decisions" has always been more benign in nature and always reactive; a response to somebody else's directive.

Jimmy O was a direct hire by Mr. Wilson and was really an extension of his and Littman's presence from Detroit whose main responsibility was to ensure the organization toed the bottom line of the imposed budget constraints from Detroit. He was not a welcomed presence by the football side and was often seen as a nuisance and imposition, especially early on. His involvement in "football decisions" has always been more benign in nature and always reactive; a response to somebody else's directive.

Getting rid of Overdorf is like kicking Radar out of the MASH hospital. He's not the problem. People latch onto him because he has always been around, but he's really just a competent accountant who follows orders.

Getting rid of Overdorf is like kicking Radar out of the MASH hospital. He's not the problem. People latch onto him because he has always been around, but he's really just a competent accountant who follows orders.

And one helluva capologist to boot. But yeah, he is painted by that broad brush of futility of the organization. It's like I said last week, there are good people doing good jobs in that building that we will never know about. And although we know him by name, I think Overdorf is one of them.

I said it when they fired Wade Phillips. Russ Brandon has got to go and almost twenty years later, it still holds true. My sources also tell me he was the reason that Butler left and why Donahoe didn't have full control of football matters. I also suspect he had a lot to do with Marv retiring as coach.

I said it when they fired Wade Phillips. Russ Brandon has got to go and almost twenty years later, it still holds true. My sources also tell me he was the reason that Butler left and why Donahoe didn't have full control of football matters. I also suspect he had a lot to do with Marv retiring as coach.

Marv retired because Ralph demanded that he fire Dan Henning, which he was unwilling to do. Marv was right in the end; Henning had some real success later on with the Jets. If memory serves, Ralph fixated on that Denver OT game where Quinn Early botched the double reverse and fumbled. The odd thing was is that if he had executed it properly, it would have resulted in a TD. I recall Jerry S going ballistic over that one. Marv also knew that Todd Collins stunk, and that Henning was saddled with an absolute stiff.

Wrap this around your brain: my criticism of the media's amateur hour at his presser is not the same as an endorsement of Whaley's abilities as a GM which are, in my opinion, a mixed bag at best.

Now go find someone else to engage in your particular brand of intellectual dishonesty.

The press is just doing their jobs. Its no different in other cities. There was one difference in San Francisco though in that Jed York the owner took the heat for the 49ers collapse. He was asked why he didn't fire himself. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/02/49ers-jed-york-talks-of-latest-firings/

Your sources are wrong. Butler and Brandon had a great working relationship with JB often in a mentor's role.

And Donahoe had unprecedented control; the first time Mr Wilson ever ceded such control to anyone in fact. The first time he named someone president, a title Mr Wilson always held previously.

And Marv retired as coach shortly after Brandon stepped into the building.

The press is just doing their jobs. Its no different in other cities. There was one difference in San Francisco though in that Jed York the owner took the heat for the 49ers collapse. He was asked why he didn't fire himself. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/02/49ers-jed-york-talks-of-latest-firings/

I understand the press is just doing their jobs. Some are just far batter at it. And I'm just a consumer engaged in product review.

Edited by K-9

Whaley is looking more and more clueless with every interview.

Sad, but true.

20 years without a QB?

Gee, I wonder if the team has a GM?

Whaley was a big part of the decision to draft E.J. Manuel and yet he still has a job. What? Dysfunction at OBD? Say it ain't so!

Pure conflation. Nice try Hondo.

Does Doug Whaley know what it looks like? Because after yesterday's performance he seems confused with all the dotted lines and, you know, stuff. I'll bet he knows who signs his pay check.

He knows that the under the Rex Ryan era structure both the GM and the head coach report directly to the owner, which is really all that matters to him. As for how he comported himself yesterday, I can tell you from experience that It's not easy getting up in front of that many people and answering the difficult kind of questions that he did. You know, the kind where any answer you provide will be met with scorn and scoff. He did what he is paid to do, and under the circumstances, he did alright.

I heard he's the reason they cancelled Firefly too early and is responsible for the formation of Nickelback

I heard he's the reason they cancelled Firefly too early and is responsible for the formation of Nickelback

He also kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and bombed Pearl Harbor.

Neither of which matches up to the sheer horror caused by the formation of Nickelback.

Edited by Tenhigh