Any interest in NFL Divisional Realignment or Relegation?

Peevo

How about the Bills, Jags, Bengals, and Titans?

Let's shoot for the smallest TV market division, where the teams can disappear to everyone but their own fans!

I bet any team in the AFC North would gladly shift to the East. How about the Steelers? That would gut that division of just about any television appeal, and immediately weaken any of the franchises in the North.

The Bills are lucky to be in the East.

Edited by HoF Watkins

League needs to revisit realignment and I think a "rust belt" division of Bflo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cinci would rock.

What about a Great Lakes Division - Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Green Bay; like the old black and blue. The December games would be awesome!

League needs to revisit realignment and I think a "rust belt" division of Bflo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cinci would rock.

Me too. And help sell seats for everyone because travel distance decreases.

This is such a logical move, it would take about half a season and everyone would love it.

Yeah, that would be exciting....Bills-Browns twice a year...Bengals....wow

Bengals 5 year playoff team until this year. Did you have more fun at the patriots game or browns game this year?

This. Buffalo is not on the east coast. it should technically be in the AFC North, with fins in the AFC south.

Bills belong in the AFC North. I feel like we have more in common with those teams and they are closer so it would be easier to travel to games. The reason we aren't is because the NFL likes the Steelers-Ravens rivalry and doesn't want to lose that and for some reason they still think Miami is our big rival. We haven't had a rivalry with them since Marino.

It could be worse though. If they did it geographically (like how it was intended) then the Dolphins would be in the South, the Colts would be in the North, and the Ravens would be in the East.

This. Buffalo is not on the east coast. it should technically be in the AFC North, with fins in the AFC south.

Right, but because Buffalo was a small market, the NFL wisely decided to put them in a division with the large market NYC, Boston teams. And threw in an established NFC powerhouse franchise (the Colts) to give the division some legitimacy.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think in essence, it would create a "lesser" league.

This could already be done via the current Conferences. One conference gets a shot to qualify for the Superbowl playoffs, while the other could have a tournament to decide who gets into the upper conference.

It's ironic, as a leftist, that I'm creating essentially the haves and have nots of the NFL. In a way, this system already exists. What teams have an honest, realistic shot at the SuperBowl every year? 3? New England, Seattle, Dallas, Pittsburgh?

So those teams would be the only ones consistently able to duke it out. The rest have to claw and scrape for the chance to get a chance. And yes, it would create a de facto minor league NFL. But isn't this already a thing? See: Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville, LA, etc. Teams that have been consistently bad for years?

Yeah, I'm sure owners who shelled out billions of dollars for a team are going to jump at the idea of having that team relegated to the minor leagues and killing their investment.

Ralph vetoed this last time there was a realignment...10 years ago or so?

More of his great legacy.

'Cuz he realized something that few here apparently do. That the East divisions have the largest TV markets, and that adds value to a team's brand. That kind of stuff is important to owners.

'Cuz he realized something that few here apparently do. That the East divisions have the largest TV markets, and that adds value to a team's brand. That kind of stuff is important to owners.

You have something to back that up, or just speculating? I believe the reason Ralphy refused realignment was because he wanted to maintain rivalry with Dolphins, Jets and Pats. Boy has that backfired over the last 17 years.

You have something to back that up, or just speculating? I believe the reason Ralphy refused realignment was because he wanted to maintain rivalry with Dolphins, Jets and Pats. Boy has that backfired over the last 17 years.

Yeah, you are probably right. I'm sorry.

Most likely he didn't care about TV markets, that's not something a guy like Ralph would consider important, that sentimental old fool.

Edited by HoF Watkins