With the 10th pick, the Buffalo Bills select....

NewEra

You want to pick a RB at 10? And not even the best one in the draft?

Let's start with saying Imo Cook is the best rb in the drat. So your statement about not being the best rb in the draft doesn't fit my narrative. Secondly, to answer your simple question with a simple answer, yes. As mentioned in my post, it's bpa and if he drops to us at 10, Imo take him. Coach, please remember this is all subjective. No one is absolutely right, even you, coach.

Edit: if D. Watson is there, I take him. Otherwise, Cook, if he's there.

Edited by Dopey

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's start with saying Imo Cook is the best rb in the drat. So your statement about not being the best rb in the draft doesn't fit my narrative. Secondly, to answer your simple question with a simple answer, yes. As mentioned in my post, it's bpa and if he drops to us at 10, Imo take him. Coach, please remember this is all subjective. No one is absolutely right, even you, coach.

Edit: if D. Watson is there, I take him. Otherwise, Cook, if he's there.

There is no logic that supports taking a RB at #10 this year in the draft. We are set at RB and this team is close to contending. You don't waste the talents of the team to pick a player who wont play much the next 2 years with McCoy here. And MG has been very good in his opportunities as well, plus we still have J Will who has shown some promise in limited snaps.

If we take a RB at 10, the entire FO should be fired immediately before we are on the clock for the 2nd round pick.

And the BPA logic is very subjective and is a matter of opinion. Even if the best player the FO has graded out on the board is still there at 10 and he is a RB...how much better can he really be over their next BPA that would warrant taking a player at the only position we are dominant and completely set without question at? I mean we are talking about a top 10 draft pick here, there will be plenty of very talented prospects available, so no RB is going to be so much better than someone else we need.

In other words, even if the best RB prospect in the draft was there at 10, even if he was being compared to Barry Sanders, you absolutely can not take him under any circumstance. There is absolutely no way that player will have more value to this team over the next two years than one of the other top 10 prospects at Safety, WR, DB, or another position of great need on this team. And quite honestly, I think MG can be that guy, I have been very impressed with him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I don't accept the notion that a qb shouldn't be taken with a high round pick (first or second) because this is a week qb class. Getting a stud safety or corner to replace Gilmore if he is not re-signed is not going to markedly improve this team.

It appears that Whaley is not enamored with TT. Even if he returns as a bridge qb this team still needs to secure a franchise qb to become a serious team. There is no doubt that Whaley feels the pressure to get over the generational hump and get into the playoffs soon. But getting a talented prospect on board, even if it is to be groomed down the line, is still the right approach to take.

It seems that this franchise continuously repeats the self-destructive cycle of avoiding going after a high end qb draft prospect and satisfies itself with second rate market qb pickups. Looking back Gilmore was certainly a top ten talent in his draft and he has played up to his talent (for the most part) but he was far from being a difference maker because his position didn't come close to being consequential compared to the qb position.

As I stated in prior posts Whaley was very aggressive in securing a top five player in Watkins, a receiver. He would have been far better off being aggressive in securing a Derek Carr caliber of qb who was available instead of taking the more highly rated player on the board such as Watkins. As it turns out as good as Watkins is his talents are being squandered because the person taking the snaps can't utilize him to the extent that his talent merits.

Getting a stud safety or corner to replace Gilmore if he is not re-signed is not going to markedly improve this team.

It really is great to hear you say this!!!

Looking back Gilmore was certainly a top ten talent in his draft and he has played up to his talent (for the most part)

You were doing SO well! :)

They just spent their top 3 picks on defense last draft.

One didn't play at all, one missed training camp and some early games. Let these guys develop. I think some of the problem with the defense was coaching and scheme. Get a couple free agent Safeties (or a 2nd rounder, if you must).

The pass offense was the worst in the NFL, and the high rushing ranking is a little deceptive because lots of it was Tyrod. I want OFFENSE.

The offense scored lots of points, but watching the games, it rarely felt right, and was never reliable enough to score when they needed it at the end of tight games. It needs improvement. Look at what Oakland has done with their big wide-outs. I would love Mike Williams.

A WR, or at least another Olineman, would help a QB, be it Tyrod, or whoever else. The Dallas offense (great Oline) should be the model they follow. Until a QB falls into their lap, they need to have everything in place to help a QB succeed. It would also make it a much more desirable place for any free agent QB the Bills might eventually have a chance to sign.

It's hard to get a feel without knowing who the coaches will be, but I want offense.

I've liked what I've seen of Western Michigan's Corey Davis.

It really is great to hear you say this!!!

You were doing SO well! :)

My fear is that this ramshackle organization out of desperation is going to take an approach that best gets them out of their non-playoff embarrassment. That to me is not the right approach to take and not the right mentality to take. Striving for mediocrity where the limited vision is qualifying for a wildcard playoff spot is self-restricting.

As I stated in prior posts what made the Raiders take a quantum leap is their selection of Carr. There is no doubt that Khalil Mack is a tremendous player and one of the top ranked player in his draft year. He has proved to be a dynamic player. But he is not the player that has changed the fortunes of what was once a very odd franchise to a franchise that is now a serious contender for a SB participant. Their fortunes changed with the selection of Carr. It must also be noted that even with Carr on the roster there GM still went out and drafted Conner Cook, another qb.

There are obvious holes in our roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball. This once good defense has been butchered by a stupid HC. There are remedies to patching this defense from the upcoming draft and from the free agent market. But the situation will not be meaningfully altered for this middling franchise until the qb position is significantly upgraded. If there is a position for the GM to be aggressive and bold for it is the qb position. Whaley went full throttle in his pursuit of the talented Watkins when he should have used that same bold approach in his pursuit of a legitimate franchise qb.

I'll weigh in:

Top choice at this point: Jamal Adams

If not available then Mike Williams, though still worry a bit about his neck (especially given we already have a Williams with recurrent neck issues)

I think Corey Davis may be an option as well, and may well move up on draft boards over the winter. He's in top 15 on some boards at this point.

Overall I think Safety and WR are best bets for a top 10 pick. There is some thought that Desmond King may be a better fit at Safety than CB and he's rated in top 25.

I don't see any QB in the draft worth a top 10 pick (which of course won't stop teams from taking one, or two). I'd look for Chad Kelly in the 3rd, given his injury, though desperate teams may even take him earlier. Don't think he'll last past Rd. 4 (and at the moment the Bills don't have a 4th rounder). Despite the fact that he's been a jerk off the field, he's one of the gutsiest, grittiest guys in the draft imho.

If miss Kelly, late QBs might be Patrick Towles or Nathan Peterman, both who have experience under center as opposed to the spread.

There is no logic that supports taking a RB at #10 this year in the draft. We are set at RB and this team is close to contending. You don't waste the talents of the team to pick a player who wont play much the next 2 years with McCoy here. And MG has been very good in his opportunities as well, plus we still have J Will who has shown some promise in limited snaps.

If we take a RB at 10, the entire FO should be fired immediately before we are on the clock for the 2nd round pick.

And the BPA logic is very subjective and is a matter of opinion. Even if the best player the FO has graded out on the board is still there at 10 and he is a RB...how much better can he really be over their next BPA that would warrant taking a player at the only position we are dominant and completely set without question at? I mean we are talking about a top 10 draft pick here, there will be plenty of very talented prospects available, so no RB is going to be so much better than someone else we need.

In other words, even if the best RB prospect in the draft was there at 10, even if he was being compared to Barry Sanders, you absolutely can not take him under any circumstance. There is absolutely no way that player will have more value to this team over the next two years than one of the other top 10 prospects at Safety, WR, DB, or another position of great need on this team. And quite honestly, I think MG can be that guy, I have been very impressed with him.

In my 1st post, I explain my thinking behind the move, so there is some logic to it. You may not agree, but there is some logic behind doing it. Please don't dismiss my thoughts as nothing.

You're right, bpa is subjective (I said as much in my post) and a matter of opinion. I think you're missing the part about this being what I would do. Not the Bills or you.

If someone grades out as the next Barry Sanders and he falls to you at #10, you take him. Or you're fired. Jmo.

The draft is for more than the next 2 yrs. Most any player drafted won't be a starter week 1 and in a lot of cases, year 1. A safety, cb, wr,ot,etc will have a learning curve also. I stick with my stance, Cook at 10, if he's there. 1 Yr under McCoy, drop McCoy and his contract after next season. Even worse than Cook as a #10 pick is what we're paying McCoy. A vet safety to help, he would probably do better than a rookie in his 1st yr. Just about anyone taken would have a learning curve and where's the value in that? We reached for Lawson and it sounds like you all want to reach on a player because he's a need. I'll say it again BPA. And if it shakes out the way I think, Dalvin is the pick (imo), unless Watson falls to us.

Williams was a 5th round pick for a reason and MG is a backup for a reason.

In my 1st post, I explain my thinking behind the move, so there is some logic to it. You may not agree, but there is some logic behind doing it. Please don't dismiss my thoughts as nothing.

You're right, bpa is subjective (I said as much in my post) and a matter of opinion. I think you're missing the part about this being what I would do. Not the Bills or you.

If someone grades out as the next Barry Sanders and he falls to you at #10, you take him. Or you're fired. Jmo.

The draft is for more than the next 2 yrs. Most any player drafted won't be a starter week 1 and in a lot of cases, year 1. A safety, cb, wr,ot,etc will have a learning curve also. I stick with my stance, Cook at 10, if he's there. 1 Yr under McCoy, drop McCoy and his contract after next season. Even worse than Cook as a #10 pick is what we're paying McCoy. A vet safety to help, he would probably do better than a rookie in his 1st yr. Just about anyone taken would have a learning curve and where's the value in that? We reached for Lawson and it sounds like you all want to reach on a player because he's a need. I'll say it again BPA. And if it shakes out the way I think, Dalvin is the pick (imo), unless Watson falls to us.

Williams was a 5th round pick for a reason and MG is a backup for a reason.

Rb in first is pretty much out of the question unless MG is bolting.

do people feel this is a EJ Manuel bad type draft for qbs?

No Trubisky and Watson are way way better.