Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

By giving him full charge of the HC search.

I honestly don't get the Whaley hate...Terry clarified what happened with Rex, which was essentially Terry not wanting to be a lying sack of poo and told Rex, "You wanted an answer: you're fired. We're moving on", AFTER Rex requested a private conversation. So, yeah - I can see how that happens, when Terry had essentially already talked to Doug and they made up their minds with a week to go...as for HC search, during the presser it became quite clear this is the first time Doug and his assistant will actually lead the search and basically make the choice, with Terry's approval of course, but I don't think that's all too much to ask...where's the Whaley hate-narrative coming from? He has certainly failed to identify a capable QB, but also what's become clear is Rex wanted Tyrod and he stuck to it, to the point of being fired. Let Doug do this search and tie his fate to the choice, and to that end I can support whatever happens from there...

I honestly don't get the Whaley hate...Terry clarified what happened with Rex, which was essentially Terry not wanting to be a lying sack of poo and told Rex, "You wanted an answer: you're fired. We're moving on", AFTER Rex requested a private conversation. So, yeah - I can see how that happens, when Terry had essentially already talked to Doug and they made up their minds with a week to go...as for HC search, during the presser it became quite clear this is the first time Doug and his assistant will actually lead the search and basically make the choice, with Terry's approval of course, but I don't think that's all too much to ask...where's the Whaley hate-narrative coming from? He has certainly failed to identify a capable QB, but also what's become clear is Rex wanted Tyrod and he stuck to it, to the point of being fired. Let Doug do this search and tie his fate to the choice, and to that end I can support whatever happens from there...

It's more fun jerking off to the dysfunction narrative. The timeline of events is crystal clear to anyone paying attention the last two years. The Pegulas hire their first crush of a head coach. He answers directly to Terry & Kim. No mystery so far. Then things turn to crap and Terry fires Rex & Rob. His call because the line of authority ran to him.

Terry, rightly or wrongly, decides to hand the reins to Doug Whaley. Now it's his show. Many here forgot that Whaley got a contract extension one year ago. So there is very little chance Doug is getting fired soon.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/19/nfl-carolina-panthers-2016-scouting-report

9. Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott gets more bang for his buck on blitzes than any defensive play-caller in the NFL. The Panthers are mostly a straight zone coverage defense, so McDermott does not call a lot of blitzes. But when he does, they’re always efficient. The Panthers are particularly good with zone blitz concepts, where a linebacker or defensive back rushes while a defensive lineman drops into coverage. (In the Super Bowl, a zone blitz fooled Peyton Manning on defensive lineman Kony Ealy’s interception.) It’s not just third down where you see these zone blitzes. Against zone rushing teams—and especially ones with mobile quarterbacks—the Panthers love to blitz slot defenders and boundary corners on first down in order to take away outside running edges.

As usual, we'll wait a year to see your takes to be proven wrong. Again.

Just to be clear are you saying Terry Pegula should not be told who Whaley hires? Should Terry never speak to Doug? Trying to understand what "looking over his shoulder" means to you. If Terry shows up at a Bills camp is that looking over Doug's shoulder?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just to be clear are you saying Terry Pegula should not be told who Whaley hires? Should Terry never speak to Doug? Trying to understand what "looking over his shoulder" means to you. If Terry shows up at a Bills camp is that looking over Doug's shoulder?

I'll just repost

As I said before, of course Pegulas will have the final signoff. That's never been in question.

But in a press conference where Whaley stonewalled most questions, he went out of the way to explain that the previous hires were a committee process, but this one would be run by him & Monos. Which is how most job openings are filled - candidates meet with the recruiting front line and at the end they have a final sit down with the senior folks for the ultimate approval.

Yet, after all the talk, the first interview with McDermott is at the Pegula's house. To me, the message is that maybe they're still reluctant to take Whaley's training wheels off.

I'll just repost

As I said before, of course Pegulas will have the final signoff. That's never been in question.

But in a press conference where Whaley stonewalled most questions, he went out of the way to explain that the previous hires were a committee process, but this one would be run by him & Monos. Which is how most job openings are filled - candidates meet with the recruiting front line and at the end they have a final sit down with the senior folks for the ultimate approval.

Yet, after all the talk, the first interview with McDermott is at the Pegula's house. To me, the message is that maybe they're still reluctant to take Whaley's training wheels off.

Were they supposed to have it at Whaley's house?

The question will be: since the bills are on the hook for about 16M more with Rex, will they be cheap with their hire of the next HC?

No. "The question" is answered. :flirt:

Seriously - the Pegulas are not even a little like Ralph - they overpaid for the team and will spend whatever it takes.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/19/nfl-carolina-panthers-2016-scouting-report

9. Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott gets more bang for his buck on blitzes than any defensive play-caller in the NFL. The Panthers are mostly a straight zone coverage defense, so McDermott does not call a lot of blitzes. But when he does, they’re always efficient. The Panthers are particularly good with zone blitz concepts, where a linebacker or defensive back rushes while a defensive lineman drops into coverage. (In the Super Bowl, a zone blitz fooled Peyton Manning on defensive lineman Kony Ealy’s interception.) It’s not just third down where you see these zone blitzes. Against zone rushing teams—and especially ones with mobile quarterbacks—the Panthers love to blitz slot defenders and boundary corners on first down in order to take away outside running edges.

Does a McDermott hire mean they let Gilmore go? Zone-focused teams don't need to be spending $20M/year on a CB.

Edited by BobChalmers

I'll just repost

You can just as easily say Pegula turns to Whaley and says "Ok, I think that went well, who do you like the most?".

I'll just repost

So that's the nugget you are basing your opinion on. Because interviews are being held at Terry Pegula's house, ergo Terry Pegula is still involved. Do I have that right?

It couldn't be that there is a blizzard up north? Just maybe?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No. "The question" is answered. :flirt:

Seriously - the Pegulas are not even a little like Ralph - they overpaid for the team and will spend whatever it takes.

Does a McDermott hire mean they let Gilmore go? Zone-focused teams don't need to be spending $20M/year on a CB.

they sure missed norman this year in car

It's more fun jerking off to the dysfunction narrative. The timeline of events is crystal clear to anyone paying attention the last two years. The Pegulas hire their first crush of a head coach. He answers directly to Terry & Kim. No mystery so far. Then things turn to crap and Terry fires Rex & Rob. His call because the line of authority ran to him.

Terry, rightly or wrongly, decides to hand the reins to Doug Whaley. Now it's his show. Many here forgot that Whaley got a contract extension one year ago. So there is very little chance Doug is getting fired soon.

Agreed, it seem very clear to me too.