10 Thoughts on 2016

bdutton

2015 stats:

Look at the first half of the season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16725/year/2015

You have games like 168 yards and many games like the Jets game with 7 targets for only 14 yards.

This season only 1 game over 100 yards. Granted, he was dealing with the foot injury but if you are playing you need to perform or not.

Fair enough. The Special teams coach is responsible for making sure the special teams players understand the rules. Who does the special teams coach report to? Like it not, even if the actual responsibility for the play is on the players, the coaches ultimately are judged on the mental mistakes of their players. Its their responsibility to mentally prepare their players and they failed dramatically on that play.

"We're gonna go over the basics this week, guys."

Maybe the coaches should have had everyone wear nametags this week, too?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My additions and I like to mix them up!

Disappointing contribution from the draft class. We had zero starters from it

Value play from Lorax and Zack Brown

Injuries to critical players hurt us badly. Destroyed rhythm in the passing game

Improved Offensive Line Play

Terrible season for Jerry Hughes

Great season by our MVP Mcoy. A wasted effort with our running game.

Poor tackling all through the year cost us many games

Rebirth of Charles Clay at the end of the season gives hope.

Now I would like to go get Norv Turner as the OC. He can use this running game and straighten out Tyrod.

Really? For example, Watkins is under contract through 2017 with a $6.2M dead cap hit if we "say goodbye" to him now.

So why would we?

Already admitted this was a mistake. I thought he was in his 4th year already. But you have to admit, the cost of drafting him and the return on investment was horrible.

I didn't get past #2. How many coaches went over " when the ball is kicked off, and goes more than 10 yards, make sure you get possession of it" this week, to prepare their team?

I bet NONE. Especially a team that just replaced the head coach that week.

I don't want Lynn, but that mistake is all on the PROFESSIONAL football players.

I gotta agree here too. That's just guys whose focus is gone and their mind already climbing on the bus.

Agreed. The coaching staff should review the entire rule book with every player before every game. Anything short of that is negligence. Anthony Lynn should have personally seen to it that Mike Gillislee knows that a the ball is live on a kickoff and it should have been this week.

Yeah......but last week Pro Bowl returner Bob Tate nibbled his nails with great anticipation at the pylon as the opening kickof of OT rolled slowly along the sideline.........praying that it would somehow go out of bounds so the ball would be placed at the 40..........when he could have walked a few feet forward and touched the ball with one foot out of bounds and ASSURED the ball would be at the 40.

It's a poorly coached unit.

Agreed. The coaching staff should review the entire rule book with every player before every game. Anything short of that is negligence. Anthony Lynn should have personally seen to it that Mike Gillislee knows that a the ball is live on a kickoff and it should have been this week.

This simply shows the lack of focus and game awareness.

1. Tyrod is still the best option at QB. He has accuracy issues but doesn't make costly turnovers.

2. Lynn had the team poorly prepared for this game. Mental mistakes like the kickoff-TD are on the coaching staff. He had a chance to make a case to be hired as the FT coach and blew it.

3. EJ is not the answer. He's a turnover machine.

4. Cardale is raw. Good accuracy. Not ready yet to be a starter.

5. The run defense sucks. Rex took the best defense and turned it to ****.

6. Say good bye to Stephon Gilmore. A supposed shut down corner regressed each year.

7. Marcel Dareus is a huge disappointment. Dean Vernon: 'Fat high and stupid is no way to go through life'.

8. Say goodbye to Sammy Watkins. Unless we overspend and put a franchise tag on him, the over spending in draft picks to take him is a huge failure.

9. This roster is Whaley's fault. We overspent draft picks on EJ and Watkins as well as poor choices on injured players that did not contribute until late this year.

10. Pegula needs to clean house. Sadly, he won't.

1. Tyrod is the best on the roster, but he's not good enough or worth his upcoming contract. He's a high end backup or bridge starter, no more. Time to part ways since he won't be signing with the Bills when his options is not picked up.

2. Can't speak to this. I didn't bother watching the game.

3. Correct. I am still amazed any Bills fan could've thought EJ wasn't the answer over the last couple seasons.

4. Yup. Cardale is raw. Keep working with him and don't freaking rush him.

5. Yes again. Rex's failure to adapt his scheme to his talent was his greatest failure here.

6. I hope not - and I disagree that he's regressed. Gilmore is a quality corner. Him leaving would be a big hole to fill.

7. Dareus is a big disappointment. The team's inability to hold him accountable is on Whaley and the contract he was given.

8. Probably true. I don't think Watkins wants to be here and I don't think he'll be worth keeping I'd he can't prove he can stay healthy. Big disappointment.

9. Whaley: Producing an average roster at playoff prices.

10. Couldn't agree more. I'd love a complete housecleaning.

Lynn had six days as head coach while still acting as offensive coordinator, inheriting from the previous coach a passive and disinterested team that clearly considered the last game of the season to be last week and knew they'd only have to answer to him for a week.

Frankly, if he'd managed to prepare the team under those circumstances, I'd be amazed.

I think he had even less - didn't they fire Rex at like, noon on Tuesday? And I don't think they practice Saturday, right? So he had like, 3 1/2 days.

The other factor is, by losing, we went from #14 to #10 in draft order, apparently. Rex had said "we play to win" but there's an obvious advantage in losing.

Still, one just hates to see boneheaded mental mistakes, but I agree it's unreasonable to expect 3 1/2 days to change 2 years of attitudes.

Really? For example, Watkins is under contract through 2017 with a $6.2M dead cap hit if we "say goodbye" to him now.

So why would we?

I assumed the OP meant after Watkins' contract was up after next season. He has his option year, but a long term deal is usually done prior to that. I can't see giving him a long term deal if he can't stay healthy. In fact, one season of health might not be enough - if we even get that.

The dead cap is due to his salary being guaranteed next season. I don't think anyone is thinking we'd get rid of him before the end of his rookie deal.

I have been following the Bills for a long time as many others have. Each season there seems to be a mind-numbing sameness.

This team is far from being a SB competitive team. What's obvious is obvious. But even acknowledging where this team ranks I do believe with some smart actions taken by the front office this team can get back into the wildcard race in short order.

I have come around to retaining TT, even under his current contract. As many others have said the organization has to concentrate its efforts on rebuilding this shattered defense decimated by a dumb coach.

It seems that the accumulation of bad decisions over the years has kept this lackluster franchise stuck in the mud while more smartly run franchises have taken the leap forward. Oakland comes to mind. The biggest mistake this organization can make is to become desperate and gamble too much for short term gains. The hiring of Rex was intended to give this boring franchise a jolt is an example of foolishly gambling. It was a disastrous decision that set this franchise back.

Please. Gillislee knew the rule... anyone that watches football even casually knows this rule. The reason many think this reflects poorly on Anthony Lynn is that it points to lack of concentration and mental preparedness. Gillislee doesn't strike me as a consistently careless player, either. To me, that points back to the staff at least to some extent.

Edit: I'll add one more thing. Would the reaction be the same if this was Leodis making another mistake on a kickoff? I doubt it - they'd be torching McKelvin and rightfully so.

Edited by sullim4

Please. Gillislee knew the rule... anyone that watches football even casually knows this rule. The reason many think this reflects poorly on Anthony Lynn is that it points to lack of concentration and mental preparedness. Gillislee doesn't strike me as a consistently careless player, either. To me, that points back to the staff at least to some extent.

Edit: I'll add one more thing. Would the reaction be the same if this was Leodis making another mistake on a kickoff? I doubt it - they'd be torching McKelvin and rightfully so.

I think the worst tank job by players in a finale I've seen was what the Seahawks did to Mike Holmgren in the "Flutie last game as a Bill". It was a horrific lack of effort. HOF Cortez Kennedy was maybe the worst culprit. Disgusting performance.

Holmgren took them to the SB a few years later.

Wasn't a good first impression but I don't think the one game reflects at all on A Lynn...........particularly with the team knowing about the business benching of the QB that just lead the offense to a franchise record 590 yards the week before........then having to endure QB's who put up a disgusting excuse for a performance.

1. Tyrod is the best on the roster, but he's not good enough or worth his upcoming contract. He's a high end backup or bridge starter, no more. Time to part ways since he won't be signing with the Bills when his options is not picked up.

2. Can't speak to this. I didn't bother watching the game.

3. Correct. I am still amazed any Bills fan could've thought EJ wasn't the answer over the last couple seasons.

4. Yup. Cardale is raw. Keep working with him and don't freaking rush him.

5. Yes again. Rex's failure to adapt his scheme to his talent was his greatest failure here.

6. I hope not - and I disagree that he's regressed. Gilmore is a quality corner. Him leaving would be a big hole to fill.

7. Dareus is a big disappointment. The team's inability to hold him accountable is on Whaley and the contract he was given.

8. Probably true. I don't think Watkins wants to be here and I don't think he'll be worth keeping I'd he can't prove he can stay healthy. Big disappointment.

9. Whaley: Producing an average roster at playoff prices.

10. Couldn't agree more. I'd love a complete housecleaning.

Out after this incongruence. KYS.

As sarcastic as you may be, these guys are paid a fortune to not make mistakes. Giving the other team 7 points is about as big of a mistake you can make.

went up about 5 slots of draft position here with this loss......

I assumed the OP meant after Watkins' contract was up after next season. He has his option year, but a long term deal is usually done prior to that. I can't see giving him a long term deal if he can't stay healthy. In fact, one season of health might not be enough - if we even get that.

The dead cap is due to his salary being guaranteed next season. I don't think anyone is thinking we'd get rid of him before the end of his rookie deal.

I think the chances of Sammie making it to free agency are slim and none