GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

My take is this:

I read where Whaleys choice for the position was Hue Jackson. In fact I read somewhere that Hue pretty much thought he had the job and was surprised when Rex was named. Also read where Russ Brandon made the comment to "not let Rex leave the building" before Ryan was named. The Pegulas have also spoken how Rex wowed them and within the first several minutes of their conversation they knew Rex was the right choice.

Thus, I believe that Rex wasn't Whaleys Final choice. But between Pegulas own opinion as well as influence from Russ Brandon the Pegulas made the decision (based on Whaleys comments today obviously without his total blessing) to hire Rex. To make this work the Pegulas also had Rex report to them to ensure that Whaley couldn't do anything to make this choice not work.

Sitting in the pressbox with ownership this year you know Whaley was hammering Rex on his failures and poor decision making. As a man you know he had an "I told you so" attitude towards the Pegs.

So finally the Pegulas realized that they messed up, and it was in Their best interest to finally allow Doug to actually do his job and act like a GM and lead the search. So now it will be Whaley who brings the candidate to the owners. Granted, they still have to sign off on the choice. But I have a strong feeling that Whaleys reccommenstion will be taken a lot stronger than when Rex was hired, and the final choice will be more about what he thinks and not what the Pegs think. I also believe that Brandon will not be involved in this process like last time so he won't be able to Sabatoge Whaleys choice like he did with Ryan.

it will be made clear to candidates that Whaley is the man who you need to impress, and he will probably have more power over the coach than he had with Rex.

It comes across that it was dysfunctional before, but now that Whaley is more in control it's gotten back to the dynamic where the GM is the decision maker, not a green owner and president who is more a marketer. To me that makes it less dysfunctional because Whaleys choice would have left Schwartz as our D.C. Which I think with Hue who knows how that would have worked out.

I believe Whaley has done a great job building this roster and I believe this is a winning franchise. Now that I know Whaley wasn't the spearhead of the Ryan train wreck I have more confidence that he can find the right coach.

Be sure though that if that's the case, the next coaches firing will include him as Well.

Great post. Agree 100%.

TT and his impact on the cap will be considered along with the team as a whole by DW and the new coach.

Will be a most interesting few weeks.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that really for the owner to decide. And who are we to tell them otherwise. They own the friggin team. If I owned the team, I would want to be the primary decision maker in any of the top guys I am betting the direction of my franchise on. I don't blame them one bit. It has to be an exceptionally large pill to swallow to relinquish control at the very top of an organization you just paid a billion four hundred thousand dollars for.

All this whining about the Pegulas not knowing what they are doing is utter nonsense. It is a waste of breath and keystrokes to complain about our owners. And it paints fans who are doing so in a bad light in my opinion.

because we have young owners

I dont think they are BAD owners.....just not football people. This will grow over time.

nobody got any of that because of the nature of the press conference and the obvious witch hunt that the media conducted. It made it impossible to gleen anything out of the presser whatsoever. Thats the point, glad you finally realize that.

all of that has been talked about all year, pay attention.

No kidding! I would have liked questions about Gilmore, Woods, Watkins health, improvements at Safety, WR etc. we got none of that.

Straw-man much?

I don't really care what he says today. Excuses and justifications don't matter.

I want to see what he does.

Agree.

Whaley will be largely in PR mode today.

Far more interesting is who he'll hire for HC, who'll he draft, which FAs he'll sign, and what players he'll jettison.

nobody got any of that because of the nature of the press conference and the obvious witch hunt that the media conducted. It made it impossible to gleen anything out of the presser whatsoever. Thats the point, glad you finally realize that.

all of that has been talked about all year, pay attention.

The nature of the press conference was the media looking for answers. The questions asked were all reasonable given the circumstances to how the season ended. It's fine to ask questions about the roster but you're being so naive if you think Whaley is going to give you anything but a generic answer with little to no substance. If that's what would have made you happy then I'm sorry you were disappointed.

People on the internet speculating about how things are happening at OBD is different than hearing it from the GM of the team. Try and keep up.

Edited by Bangarang

It wasn't all questions about Rex. There was one beach ball tossed to Whaley there at the end by the media along the lines of what is the plan moving forward? (It was a completely appropriate question given Whaley had just said he was focusing on moving forward.)

Whaley just ripped off a quick answer to this open-ended question. "Find the right coach and continue to bring in talent" and thus he missed his exit. He could've used this as an opportunity to discuss pros and cons of potential coaching candidates, what sort of systems he thought he had built the roster for, how the well-oiled decision making process of the front-office works and what role the HC would fill there, the fate of the assistant coaches or a timeline thereof, strengths and weaknesses of the roster, what the team accomplished on the field this year, how he planned to build on that, how he planned to strengthen weaknesses, tell some funny stories about his days in scouting, etc.

Instead it was terse, defensive, and almost like he couldn't wait to field another incredulous rephrasing of "Seriously? You have no idea and never discussed it?"

The only thing i want to see Whaley do is take a definitive stand on Tyrod. Does Whaley believe in him or not. Will he be back or not. No wishy washy doublespeak. Forget if a new coach wants him, does WHALEY want him. A descision has to be made, dont leave Tyrod and the fans twisting in the wind for 3 more months on it.

I think you may have accidentally mentioned why they absolutely won't take a stand on Tyrod. They will discuss his future with the coaching candidates before committing to him.

My take is this:

I read where Whaleys choice for the position was Hue Jackson. In fact I read somewhere that Hue pretty much thought he had the job and was surprised when Rex was named. Also read where Russ Brandon made the comment to "not let Rex leave the building" before Ryan was named. The Pegulas have also spoken how Rex wowed them and within the first several minutes of their conversation they knew Rex was the right choice.

Thus, I believe that Rex wasn't Whaleys Final choice. But between Pegulas own opinion as well as influence from Russ Brandon the Pegulas made the decision (based on Whaleys comments today obviously without his total blessing) to hire Rex. To make this work the Pegulas also had Rex report to them to ensure that Whaley couldn't do anything to make this choice not work.

Sitting in the pressbox with ownership this year you know Whaley was hammering Rex on his failures and poor decision making. As a man you know he had an "I told you so" attitude towards the Pegs.

So finally the Pegulas realized that they messed up, and it was in Their best interest to finally allow Doug to actually do his job and act like a GM and lead the search. So now it will be Whaley who brings the candidate to the owners. Granted, they still have to sign off on the choice. But I have a strong feeling that Whaleys reccommenstion will be taken a lot stronger than when Rex was hired, and the final choice will be more about what he thinks and not what the Pegs think. I also believe that Brandon will not be involved in this process like last time so he won't be able to Sabatoge Whaleys choice like he did with Ryan.

it will be made clear to candidates that Whaley is the man who you need to impress, and he will probably have more power over the coach than he had with Rex.

It comes across that it was dysfunctional before, but now that Whaley is more in control it's gotten back to the dynamic where the GM is the decision maker, not a green owner and president who is more a marketer. To me that makes it less dysfunctional because Whaleys choice would have left Schwartz as our D.C. Which I think with Hue who knows how that would have worked out.

I believe Whaley has done a great job building this roster and I believe this is a winning franchise. Now that I know Whaley wasn't the spearhead of the Ryan train wreck I have more confidence that he can find the right coach.

Be sure though that if that's the case, the next coaches firing will include him as Well.

great , great post !!!!

Oh no Peter, Tom Telesco GM for the Chargers, who just fired Mike McCoy just said they are close and aren't far away. They've had back to back losing seasons.

As I recall, Tom gave McCoy four years and McCoy had a Pro Bowl QB. Even with Philip Rivers, McCoy only had a .422 winning percentage compared to Rex's .484 with the Bills.

Hmmmm.

No kidding! I would have liked questions about Gilmore, Woods, Watkins health, improvements at Safety, WR etc. we got none of that.

Yeah. If any body owes anything to anybody else, the media owes it to the public to ask more than one question thirty different ways.

My take is this:

This the most positive take one could plausibly make. I tend to agree with it, but it's a minority opinion.

You don't speak for the fans. Maybe you don't care but I want to know who's making important decisions for this team and what went into the major decisions being made this year.

Rex was the Pegulas choice, influenced by Brandon. When Rex was brought in he was introduced as a marketing dream because of his boisterous nature and outgoing personality. Rex sold them a bill of goids, his tough talk never matched the on field results. He lost gis team in the locker room and meeting rooms and his lack of adressing those matters led the team to quit on him. In two years rex took a top 10 d down into the 20s two years in a row. Rex had Terry fire him because he wanted to watch his son play on Saturday and he wanted Lynn to have first look as new coach. Going forward Whaley is in charge, he will search for and hire a coach(with Pegulas approval) to lead the team going forward. If he !@#$s up, he'll be gone.

As I recall, Tom gave McCoy four years and McCoy had a Pro Bowl QB. Even with Philip Rivers, McCoy only had a .422 winning percentage compared to Rex's .484 with the Bills.

Hmmmm.

Yes! Rex did a great job! Had the players playing with discipline and focus. He also built a dominant defense just like he promised. ALL-IN!

Peter if he makes the right hire at HC you could well be sitting here next year with a playoff game. He was not lying when he said this team is close and needs to get over the hump. IMO this team has more talent than they we when Gailey, Marrone were here. Bottom line is they could have made the playoffs this year with some competent head coaching. He knows he better get it right and I think he will.

I hope you are correct. I really do.

My difference of opinion regarding the above is that injuries and suspensions and bottom half QB play were the reasons for not making the playoffs.

in case any of you miss the presser...here are some are Whaley's remarks:

we are obviously disappointed with the outcome of our season.

our entire focus will be on getting to the second season of playoffs.

we will conduct an exhaustive search for a new head coach.

no decision has been made on the future of tyrod taylor.

we are going to develop our draft board like we always do. research every position from top to bottom.

we are in full evaluation mode regarding all of our free agents.

we are going to leave all options on the table.

Thanks for the summary.

Perfectly predictable.