GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

rex knew this was his last season back in September.

rex was fired before the end of the season because he insisted on playing TT after bills were eliminated from playoffs.

it is not uncommon for a head coach to report directly to an owner.

rex is motivated to win now.

doug is motivated to look forward.

pegs listened to both.....dougs view won....rex was fired.

I think Whaley could have said a few things to head this off........but this was gonna be a fire and pitchfork thing from the beginning

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did u listen to the presser? The media was hunting, not asking the right questions. Nothing came out of it because nothing was asked. All they wanted was a chance to bury the fork.

Did you listen? Questions about the management structure. Who's making decisions. How and why Rex was fired. Why Tyrod was benched. What makes Whaley qualified to lead the search. How he's going to fix the roster. Those aren't the right questions? Tell me, what were the right questions to ask then?

Edited by Bangarang

After advising the Pegulas to fire him and then lying about it.

I'm sure Rex is #thankful for friends like Whaley.

I'm sure he was asked about what he thought about Rex 100 times. I think everyone would have advised firing Rex except for a few mental patients. What is wrong with advising them he didn't think Rex was doing a good enough job? Of course he wasn't doing a good job, of course he had to go, of course Whaley thought that. Then he didn't badmouth him at a press conference because Whaley doesn't badmouth anyone.

Not just a question of Lynn trying to get OUT...but also ask who is going to try to come IN.

Buffalo has to be in the NO. 1 spot on the black list of any talent around the league. That's players, coaches, front office personnel.

No one is coming here until it is all blown up and the Pegulas learn to establish a vertical chain of command, sign checks, and stay out of the way.

There you go.

The reason why Whaley is leading this search is that the Pegula's can lay the blame on the Bills failure squarely on his shoulders when Whaley's hand picked HC fails. At that time, the Pegula's will fire Whaley and clean house.

leading the search. not making the decision, nor the structure of reporting. You watched it did you not?

They have declared war on the Pegulas. At least TBN has.

This is readily apparent and goes back to when Pegula first bought the Sabres and scolded TBN for being so negative. This didn't sit well with a couple scribes who have been expressly denied access to both franchises as a result ever since. They will never develop an inside source and it rankles them to no end.

I think Whaley would have been better off saying

"we have issued a statement on the firing of RR and I am not going to comment further on that we are going to discuss going forward things"

any questions?

and simply move on from any question that baited him.....next question.

It would have achieved the same result

o because they suck, have for years

or dont attempt to silence them.....because you wont

He knows why. He's just not going to publicly disparage Rex.

he said even Rex knew his defense was not up to par. So yes he was involved and yes they all knew the issues.

Did Brandon define his parameters of response? because he like Lynn was left twisting.

This is readily apparent and goes back to when Pegula first bought the Sabres and scolded TBN for being so negative. This didn't sit well with a couple scribes who have been expressly denied access to both franchises as a result ever since. They will never develop an inside source and it rankles them to no end.

This is exactly right.

Gee guess no one will come and interview then.

I seriously doubt that the Bills will be able to hire anyone who is a great, in demand HC candidate unless the Pegulas OVERPAY and/or there are big time changes. Why would anyone who has great options choose a job where the former coach was pushed out the door in less than two years even though he was the most successful coach in the past 17 years (and, as I suspect, the former coach was undermined by the GM to ownership and media).

Yes, because, "We fired Rex because he was a terrible disciplinarian and his defensive scheme needs absolutely perfect conditions to succeed. He is just an awful coach at this point" would really sit well with candidates.

Based on yesterday, it may be that Rex was the only thing keeping it together.

@AdamBenigni

Pegulas really need to speak to all this... Press conference format. Forget about the media, fans deserve answers. #Bills @wgrz

Doug throwing ownership under the bus and the likely approach of the media (think vultures) to any Pegula press conference are not likely to entice them.

Lynn holds presser but can't answer questions on sitting Tyrod because he had no say and wasn't asked. Whaley holds presser but can't answer questions about firing Rex because he had no say, wasn't asked, and doesn't want to know why. Obviously the only people who can answer the questions are the Pegulas, and they're in witness protection.

Meanwhile the 49ers owner was on NFL network today holding a presser to answer all the questions.

Edited by PastaJoe